2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

they’ve a load of lads knocking around the top divisions. They drew with Brazil and Argenitna in the qualifiers, they’re hard bate

Should be an interesting side so.

Looking at their probable squad there I’m not seeing anything spectacular. Certainty nothing to make me take a punt on them

They’re difficult to beat. As argentina and brazil know well.

Who’ve senegal thats any better?

Ecuador may find the altitude of a World Cup finals a bit much when they’re taken away from the altitude they play their home games at.

A valid point and a counter, do any of their opponents have a banging dance tune named for them ?

All these things matter

1 Like

Senegal is referenced in “Jimmy’s Winning Matches”.

The Dutch have 2 Unlimited. Doesn’t get more banging than that.

Koulibaly at the back, Mendy in goal, Gueye in midfield, Ismalia Sarr on the wing. All hinges on Sadio Mane’s fitness though to be fair.

They both might go through, the netherlands aren’t what they once were and vvd is a horror show at the moment

I’ve a sneaking fancy the Dutch will do well. Not win it, maybe the semis again though.

1 Like

Dutch results have been brilliant the last few years.

They have in fairness. I wouldn’t trust them though

I’m thinking that with no build up/run in into the tournament a team that has good recent form has a distinct advantage, no time to work on new formations etc

I’m going with Dutch and Argies (long unbeaten run, Messi swansong, El Diego looking down on his boys etc )*

• I will change my mind tomorrow
1 Like

What aertel said above.
Looks Senegal defo have a stronger squad (I think)

Ecuador have as many lads knocking around the top leagues. They wouldn’t have any superstars really.

Caicedo will move to a top club soon. He is unbelievably good.

1 Like

So are Ecuador going to be TFK’s dark horse?

Turkey were for the Euros. They were useless then :rofl:.

Chile I think were the footix dark horse at last World Cup and flopped

Maybe Switzerland this time?

2 Likes

Im backing mexico mate. I’m staking my reputation on them getting to a semi final at least

The gut feeling I have about this tournament is that the ultimate winners, whoever they are, will look unimpressive in the group in a similar manner to Italy in 1982, before stumbling their way into a formation and form. The group will be about surviving. and then come the last 16, finding one performance where things click into gear or build a self belief to propel a team forward. A performance where things change for a team. Examples of this in previous World Cups are Italy against Argentina in 1982, Italy against Nigeria in 1994, France against Paraguay in 1998, Italy against Australia in 2006 and France against Spain in 2006. That would be my hope for England, that they stumble on something more gung ho than expected through necessity, most likely involving Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jack Grealish and Jude Bellingham, and it works unexpectedly. It happened in 1986 and 1990.

Serbia are my dark horses but they have a hewar of a group. I wonder could Brazil exit in the first round. I think the last time that happened was 1966 when it was a 16 team tournament. Germany, Italy, Argentina, France, Spain, Portugal and England have all failed to advance from the group stage of a 32 team World Cup. But never Brazil. Serbia and Switzerland have been at the European coalface for the last four years. The Swiss are a proper team. The Serbs are mercurial mavericks. It’s a combination that could take Brazil out. South American teams have barely played European opposition since the last World Cup. Argentina should have enough to qualify from their group but that Brazil/Switzerland/Serbia/Cameroon group is a doozy and y a distance the most interesting in the tournament.

Mitrovic is a player I’ve always fancied, a chaos agent. I think he could have a great World Cup.

Messi to be top scorer. He’ll score four or five against Saudi Arabia and nick one or two other goals.

2 Likes

I’ve a feeling with the short build up the quality of games will be poor with most teams focused on not getting beat. Slow, tactical and tense games will be the story of the tournament. I expect messi to lead Argentina to glory.

It’ll be that and games interrupted by smelly hippy types chaining themselves to goalposts in demonstration.