2022 Six Nations rugby championship

The reason they were that price is because their history of failing at the quarter final stage was factored in. Previous and subsequent results showed Ireland to be at least as good as NZ, and NZs defeat to England showed them to be a very ordinary side. I’d expect Ireland to be underdogs against Wales were they to meet at a world cup quarter final due to the history as well.

Before 2019. What happened in the early part of 2019? They got destroyed multiple times. 12 months is a long time in sport.

They’d been hammered by England and Wales in the six nations in 2019 and had been beaten by japan too is the reason they were that price.

1 Like

It’s a very long time for the Irish rugby team in a world cup year.

A bit like limerick going from nowhere in 2017 to the best team in 2018. A lot can happen in 12 months.

Ireland went out to 7/1 on the eve of the tournament and you had lads here saying it was a cracking each way bet.

Gerry Thornley in 2015 — ‘And so what of Ireland? Back to back Six Nations titles makes them contenders like never before’

1 Like

No, it’s the opposite of that.

Look, I like to see the Irish team doing well. I support them. Their record in world cups is pathetic and they should take that on the chin. Your carry on and mental gymnastics in trying to make excuses for them is the kind of thing that will get them derided as losers.

The reality is that rugby is a relatively small sport participation wise with a huge buy in from sporting public & crucially from the media

The 6N is the IRFU’s big cash cow and unlike say France and English have to take a short term view

It’s not.

There’s no comparison between 2011, 2015 and 2019.

If you just put those defeats together and say oh it’s a mental block you’ll get absolute no where.

It’s a lazy comparison.

The irfu take a long term view.

For a man who yesterday claimed he’s not really a gambling man and hates rugby it’s remarkable you’ve such knowledge off odds from three years ago.

1 Like

There are strong comparisons across all three: high expectations followed by sub-par performance and a quarter final flop.

Well that’s tabloidesque analysis.

This is true. But apparently there were savage learnings from that world cup. The guys really called each other out in the debrief. Non of them had ever seen such honesty/ up frontage. I’d imagine they’ll have grown as men next year…

They can have no excuses next year so.

The general word on Schmidt was he did not rate many of the Irish players and devised the most simplistic of game plans so if he did get injury’s the next player in would find it easy.

It was based on a solid defence and a few trick moves like the one for the stocdale try v nz.

Once England destroyed them in 2019 it was over. He wasn’t going to change the style that close.

I think overall he done a fine job. He dealt with o brien, o Driscoll, o Connell etc moving on and at various times during his tenure the provinces were a mess. He built a steady ship.

I’m fairly sure in 2017 none of the provinces made it out of the group stage of the Heineken cup.

He was unlucky in 2015 due to all the injuries too imo. Any side losing 3/4 of their best players will always struggle.

I don’t think he ever had the quality of the 2011 side. That was the real missed opportunity for me.

Was 2011 the one where the squad has a massive falling out and wouldn’t talk to each other?

Lads using a search function unaware that others can use it too :rofl:

I don’t think so but it was fairly divided afterwards.

That was the real opportunity for Ireland. Very good 23. Age profile excellent too.