2022 Six Nations rugby championship

I think the buzz in the country before a World-Cup semi-final would be the difference. One game away from the biggest game in Rugby. World-Cup quarter-finals are par for course for Ireland akin to Wexford being regulars in All-Ireland quarter-finals between 2014 and 2018 but never really looking like winning one. Contrast that with the excitement before and during that iconic semi-final against Tipp in 2019. A semi-final would be a mammoth game for Irish Rugby. But I broadly agree with the premise of Gerry’s article.

Should be focusing on the important business of Wales on Saturday. The World Cup will take care of itself in 18 months time.

2 Likes

Those matches were in 2002 I think. We played Georgia too maybe? That would have been qualifiers for the 2003 World Cup.

Quinny gave his shoulder to get Ireland out of the group stages and save Eddie’s blushes.

1 Like

2015/16 season I think that was when everyone went out in the pool. Munster reached a semi-final in 2017 on the wave of emotion caused by Anthony Foley’s death and Leinster lost narrowly to Clermont in the other semi-final.

Had we beaten hosts Australia (17-16) in the final pool game we’d have been playing a poor enough Scottish team in the quarter-finals. Instead we played the French and were destroyed.

1 Like

The sample size is too small.

They’ll destroy an injury ravaged Wales.

1 Like

I’d expect a reasonably comfortable home win. It’s sad to see Wales so injury depleted. Paris the week after will be epic though. The real crunch.

1 Like

The bould Gerry Thornley will no doubt Dub it “Le Crunch”.

3 Likes

Gerry Thornleys favourite places

1 - Paris in the spring time
2 - South of France late April/May
3 - The land of the long white club (proper rugby country)

1 Like

It’ll be tight enough.

We’ll i remember being in Italy and Leinster got hammered by wasps. They were a rabble.

The period of which joe schidmt was in charge could have been much bleaker imo.

He done a good job.

1 Like

Yeah Schmidt is a very good coach. The World Cups are the only blemish on an otherwise extremely impressive CV in this country between Leinster and Ireland.

Leinster lost 5 out of 6 pool games that 15/16 season alright. Lost by 50 odd points over in Wasps. Then they brought in Stuart Lancaster to help Leo.

1 Like

I was blue in the race from warning him. But them lads love an oul bit of excitement (a frisson Gerry at would call it) and the chance of a knees up and sense goes out the window.

Sure there was lads here raving about Ireland chances at the euros in Poland and the same happened.

Yes but in fairness in 2013 he took over a bit of shit show.

Expectations were low and he lifted things very quickly.

Going into that Q/f he lost o Mahony, o connell, sexton and Jared Payne. Sean o brien too I think.

The team that went out in the Q/f was not good and it nowhere near good enough to make a World Cup semi final.

I wouldn’t hold that against him.

Sure they are in it that long as it is. This season though heaps of clubs in it til Nov. The leagues in Rugby don’t start til mid Oct.

It’s good to see lads getting excited and invested in it. I hope @Thomas_Brady nephew has got over the disappointment.

Sure he was even talking about bringing the young fellow up to the Webb Ellis Cup homecoming parade in Dublin - before we ever even got around to facing New Zealand or South Africa in a quarter final.

1 Like

Rugby at club level is far more enjoyable than club gaa imo.

Games every weekend and a few pints and a night out afterwards.

Club gaa has lost the plot. Fellas giving up their life’s for a game in four months time.

Fellas afraid to have a social life.

It’s crazy.

1 Like

Where does the rfu get its cash from?