2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

Yeah they just got through, Iā€™m not saying they were trying to lose, they just werenā€™t going full throttle. While for every other Munster county their all Ireland was playing limerick.

There was a sequence of about 4/5 points, a few from Casey, cathal o Neill and I canā€™t remember who from near the sideline, that if even one of them went over 20 years ago (DJ v Clare) lads would be frothing at the mouth, but they were firing them like it was nothing. The best half of hurling ever.

6 Likes

Toppins field i reckon

2 Likes

Thatā€™s it keep digging

Some win in the end, weā€™ll enjoy this one.

Kilkenny needed to be further ahead at half-time but the second goal really woke us up and we took control after that.

Kilkenny just couldnā€™t get out past the half-back line of Byrnes, WOD, Kyle plus Nash pushing on. The shooting of Casey, Byrnes, Cathal, etc was unbelievable, Gillaneā€™s score in front of the Cusack was outrageous.

I thought Kyle & Lynch were superb, Casey might edge them for MotM, his wrists are magical.

A great win, weā€™re some team in full flight. Phelan was impressive for Kilkenny, Reid had some great touches but I thought they really struggled in midfield in the second half. Needed more from Mullen imo.

12 Likes

Why are ye so bent out of shape about it,

It was a privilege to witness that. Awesome second half only hit one wide i think.

19 Likes

Flanagan missed probably the easiest chance of the half :see_no_evil: Mul hit one from under the Hogan too, I was really hoping heā€™d get one.

Delighted Aaron Costello got on at the end. A great day for Kilmallock Cycling Club

17 Likes

Used there be a thing years ago where the All Ireland champs used play their club county champions in a kind of exhibition match or charity match was it for GOAL, normally the Monday week after the final, or am I just imagining it?

Well done to all the Limerick contributors on here and indeed to Limerick hurling team supporters from places as far flung as Kilkenny and Mullingar.

It was similar to the Galway semi final in the sense that 30 minutes in Limerick were 5 or 6 points down. Once they starting motoring, Kilkenny like Galway couldnā€™t sustain that intensity beyond half an hour.

The big take out from the day was that Cullian Buckley would have had a far more enjoyable and less disrupted wedding weekend if he hadnā€™t m scored that last second goal in the Leinster Final. Kilkenny are a long way off.

Difficult to pick the next All Ireland winner after Limerick.

5 Likes
1 Like

Will Dan Morrissey or Huw Lawlor miss out on the All Star? Both were excellent

They might squeeze them both in.

I thought Dan was immense.

have they manged to find Gillane and extract him from Lawlors and Butlers pocket yet?

1 Like

Maybe thatā€™s where they will get caught so. They are definitely at a different level the last 2 games. But in Munster they didnā€™t get away from any side. All games were competitive enough.

I think theyā€™ll have to. Morrissey was nailed on before today and Lawlor did a savage job on Gillane he will have to get one. One at corner back probably

I think itā€™s fair to say that Shane Stapleton lacks any class.

That Limerick team have oodles of it. Greatness.

15 Likes

If it takes two player of that level to keep you in check itā€™s no shame.

2 Likes

Give Kinnerk MOTM

3 Likes

Yeah the AI champions would play a best of the rest selection in a charity game the week after. I can only imagine most of the winning team were taking a break from drinking and still pissed togging out. I know the Wexford lads in 96 were. Micheal O Muircheartaigh was doing commentary on the loudspeaker and telling players to hit frees and sidelines and it was a pure pisstake of an evening

1 Like