2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

It was men against boys on that wing for the last 20 minutes. Iā€™d have made more of an impact than Billy Ryan.

4 Likes

It was like watching Damien Quigley in his pomp.

4 Likes

Iā€™d agree with that, 2nd half performance was fucking unbelievable.

Huw Lawlor. Is there a Welsh connection there with that name?

Huw Edwards is his uncle

18 Likes

I met my old team mate Squid outside the Croke Park hotel after the game.

1 Like

Limerick before the Galway semi final this year were on a run of 9 consecutive championship matches that were 1 score games before returning to 2020 and 2021 levels of blowing teams away once they hit Croke Park in the semi final and final against Galway and Kilkenny.

Last year they were dominant in early round robin matches but started to fade a bit in the last 2 games of the Munster campaign against the physicality of Clare and were very close to getting caught against both Galway and Kilkenny when they hit Croke Park.

This year it was a role reversal and they looked like a team that were timing their run for the business end in Croke Park. It was the earlier rounds of the round robin blitz were they looked vulnerable, a bit jaded and brushed very close to elimination. Waterford beating Tipperary unexpectedly and Limerick scrapping into the Munster Final changed the dynamic of their season too.

5 Likes

Good morning from Limerick.

A grand place to be today.

6 Likes

His mam is Welsh afaik.

1 Like

My only issue with Keenan yesterday was that he made a balls of full time.

He should have just let the puck out be taken and blow it up then. As it was, it took a few seconds for everyone to realise it was over.

12 Likes

It made no odds to the result but I thought he was poor enough yesterday. Limerick got a nice few breaks from him.

There was a quick puckout he allowed which was bizarre about 10 minutes into the second half during limericks run of scores after the goal and there was easily 6 or 7 players still inside the 21 when taken, I think Hegarty got a point directly from it.

4 Likes

Very annoying when refs do this. Iā€™d class it with umpires not signalling scores before they raise the flag. Half the crowd donā€™t know if itā€™s a score or not for several seconds.

Kiely had just made a big show about Kilkenny being allowed take quick puck outs after 2 or 3 Limerick puck outs had been whistled back.

2 Likes

He did. He gave the linesman dogā€™s abuse

Youā€™re after winning a four in a row and you have a problem with how the referee blew the final whistle?

5 Likes

He ruined their perfect day.

1 Like

Second half was a tidal wave. I wasnā€™t particularly worried at half time, the breeze was strong, worth 6-7 points, and we only trailed by 3. Despite only hurling in what could best be described as ā€œspurtsā€.
I knew we would come with a purple patch in third quarter. But itā€™s how they responded to second KK goal that was most pleasing. This team dont do panic.

One thing that Kilkenny messed up in were their second half puckouts. Murphy persisted in going long with almost every one of them, despite Limerickā€™s half back line gobbling them up time after time. I understand we pushed up on KK short puckouts, but surely he could have looked to ping a 30 yard quick pass to Deegan or Richie Reid. As it was, launching it down on top of Byrnes, Oā€™Donoghue and Hayes was pure folly.

1 Like

The narrative that Kilkenny were better than last year turned out to be utter nonsense anyway. The true connoisseurs of the game knew this in advance.

They could do with getting Cody back in charge. Heā€™d be worth about 6 points fo them. Eoin Murphy was trying to manage the team in the second half and tell Dr.Tadhg Crowley what to do, but it didnā€™t really work at all.

3 Likes

He signaled to Murphy to puck the ball out to him. Murphy threw the ball 5 yards out in front of himself and threw a mini stropp by refusing to puc it out. He left Keenan with no choice

9 Likes

Cody knew, he must have been happy driving home yesterday bar @codegreen waving and beeping at him that he avoided a further blemish on his legacy.

1 Like