2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

Full time should be blown when a defender on the winning team has the ball coming out of defence.

McGeeney 2002 or Tom Condon 2018 would be classics of this genre.

5 Likes

Ya I’m absolutely livid over it

2 Likes

That team yesterday definitely surpassed the 2019 team as the worst Kilkenny team I’ve ever seen anyway.

So limited.

2 Likes

@peddlerscross as usual nailed it a long time back. Called it all summer that this was a bang average Kilkenny team. They’re Wexford standard essentially as I said on Saturday. The fact that Kilkenny have only recorded 1 win in regulation time from their last 7 championship meetings against Wexford since 2017 (and that by just 1 point in Nowlan Park in 2018) bears that out.

As @Bandage has also alluded to, this Limerick team still has to cross the final frontier of recording a championship win over Wexford. It’s a bit like the great Australian cricket team of the 90’s and early 00’s having to cross the final frontier of recording a series win in India, which they eventually duly achieved in 2004, a win which still ranks as the only Australia test series win in India since 1968.

9 Likes

They haven’t beaten Laois either. @myboyblue will tell you that this Limerick team is at nothing until they beat Laois in a championship game. Tipp beat them in 2019 making them the hall of farmers

7 Likes

Brilliant 2nd half performance from Limerick, driven on by the half back line.
Congrats to the @Limericks, amazing times you are having.

Laughed listening to the radio when stuck in traffic yesterday (only got parked up at 2.55pm).
Mullane et al were talking away when suddenly Mullane said “that can’t be fair surely” as the Limerick backroom team began installing their own camera beside the RTE one on the gantry.

3 Likes

With all due respect to Laois, Limerick wouldn’t have the same historical hang ups and baggage with Laois as they would with Wexford.

Limerick beat Carlow as well in Netwatch Dr Cullen Park in the 2018 Preliminary Quarter Final so that particular box has been ticked too.

4 Likes

What’s wrong with you today?, your usual trope about us is absent, get a grip and get back on message😀

Laois made Tipperary, @peddlerscross knows that

1 Like

I reckon if you’d asked any Limerick fan before 2018 they’d have said they’d be happy to see Limerick win even one all Ireland in their lifetime.

Four in a row!!!

6 Likes

@Tassotti and myself called this all about about this Kilkenny team. 90s vintage. Game but so very very limited. We knew limerick would do it pulling up and so they did

2 Likes

I felt like I was repeating myself at times

What was most disappointing was how little the Limerick lads believed in their own immortals.

In terms of combatting this nearly all conquering Limerick team (as @ChairmanDan rightly pointed out, they keep strategically avoiding Wexford), teams must develop some new strategy for when their half back line plus Nash get completely on top & the 8-12 axis sprint back to hoover up loose ball on the ground. I think there was only one puck out type Kilkenny rolled out to enable them to bypass the Limerick half back line in the second half.

A traditional puck out was gobbled up.

A short one to a full back line player & a lorry upfield still didn’t breach the hbl against the wind because the Limerick team had pressed up.

A one two with the keeper was the same as above.

Yes, the only one that worked was when Murphy hit somebody retreating to the KK hbl in a pocket of space between the 5, 6 & 8 positions or the 7,6 & 9 slots on the other side. What it needed then was that player to carry it laterally & pop it off to another player running across them at pace in the opposite direction. Like a rubby move or something. That player could then free himself around 50 yards out to play the ball into the full forward line. The Reid brothers combined for this type of puck out at one stage & it might have happened another time too.

But I think the only way to have any chance of sustained puck out success against them is to drop even more men back into your own half & tempt the Limericks to push everyone forward. Would they do that? Maybe Kilkenny could have had all 15 players inside their own 45 for puck outs & tried to launch a Flying V column upfield like in the Mighty Ducks movies? This is something Davy Fitz might work on this winter.

10 Likes

Murphy is a great shot-stopper, one of the best I’ve ever seen, but it’s been obvious for a long time that he has no intermediate puckout. He can only either give it to a defender on the 20m line or langer it long down the field.

The modern day goalkeeper needs that in his locker.

2 Likes

Kilkenny are at much the same level as Tipp, Galway, Wexford and Dublin in reality.

So called observers on here bigging them up as if Cody was holding them back was just nonsense.

Lads are getting totally carried away with Limerick yesterday too. Obviously once the inhalers kicked in there was only going to be one winner but the fact they couldnt create a goal chance against a hapless Kilkenny speaks volumes.

1 Like

Watching it again here. Jesus Huw Lawlor is some animal

3 Likes

That’s more like it👍

10 Likes

Wexford and Limerick have 2 wins each from the league battles during the John Kiely era. Stirring home wins for Wexford in 2017 and 22’. Limerick stormed fortress *Innovate in 2019 and won this years meeting with BDE very much in experimental/damaged limitations mode with ROC as sweeper. With that in mind, It would be fitting if this widely inconsistent Wexford team took down this behemoth Limerick side. Preferably with Buff Egan playing an inspirational speaker role akin to little Michael from Kerry rousing the troops before the 2019 league victory over Tipp when Davy was in charge.

*Since changed to fortress Chadwicks.

A 3/10 effort really.