2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

O’Neill striking over that last point from his own 65 with a bare flick of his wrists. Unreal.

5 Likes

I’d say Casey wasn’t even looking for the last couple he hit.

Hold on they’res only one county with wristy hurlers a fundamentally useless team wouldn’t have one of those

2 Likes

One off his left, one off his right. One effortless, one he had to work his socks off to get the shot away. Both class.

2 Likes

@Locke do not retire your username. As an esteemed and much respected poster to the forum, you’ll be a terrible loss. Commiserations e-pal.

Lets settle this once and for all, if, and the big if Limerick do 5 in a row, you can buy and wear a Limerick jersey as a forfeit. Looking forward to the power rankings after the first round of the NHL in 2’24.

7 Likes

Huw Lawlor is a rolls royce fullback

3 Likes

No plan B

I’m good with that. If the leader of the @limericks @balbec gives the all clear then we have an agreement.

Maybe I’m paying a bit off the forfeit already; I’ve our Limerick nephew here sleep in the nook of my arm after minding him for the night. He’s 11 months old and if he isn’t a prop for Young Munsters in 20 years time I’ll be amazed. The size of him!!

5 Likes

I’m good with this. The @Locke brand is too valuable to lose from tfk.

12 Likes

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, rain, sweltering heat, front door, back door, round robin, full house, Big Rob Ryan, mullockers, tippy tappy teams, ACLs, ten points up, ten points down… whatever the challenge these boys deliver. What a story

21 Likes

It’s the best team of my lifetime anyway playing at its peak. Remarkable team. Kilkenny played well too, gave everything they had. Made no difference. I’d imagine it’s the best team to ever play the game apart from Galway in 1980, but it’s all opinion only.

2 Likes

I wondered the same. Limerick seemed to have an extra man in every line by the end, like they did against Galway, but like kk in their pomp, they absolutely dominated the Half back line, and kk just kept pucking it at them. Simple enough call to push up and stack the hb line when herity was pucking into that wind, but still.
Honestly just a great side at their peak. I though kk were game as dogs, but to have a chance you need absolutely minimal wides, and every bit of luck, which didn’t happen. The only chance you’d have is to put enough daylight between the teams that you could weather the storm which would be 10 points I’d reckon.
Big question really is whether minor sides coming through other counties want it enough to make the sacrifices necessary to get big strong and fit enough to match them. Galway, I’m not sure we are ever really driven enough tbh.

There’s not that much dirty ball once Limerick hit their straps, they catch everything, and it’s hard to repeatedly compete in the air against a lad 4 inches taller.

The right colours for you as well

In fairness to Kilkenny they have a top class goalkeeper and corner back. Lawlor is a Rolls Royce of a full back. They have a serviceable half back line and midfield but their forwards are not up to the level required. The starting forward line got 1-4 from play. 4 starting forwards didn’t score from play. The forwards scored 0-7 from play in last years final. Work rate and hooking and blocking is all well and good but forwards have to score as well.

Edit 1-3 from play. Not 1-4.

7 Likes

Yeah once LK are out of Munster you might as well put the ribbons on Liam. Cork and Clare away will be good trips.

2 Likes

Maybe 4 clean catches in the second half? Most ball hits the ground.

Doesn’t matter what era it is, if you’ve a dominant Half back line you will go a long way to winning a game. Limerick completely shut down Kilkenny. Byrnes made a few brilliant catches, WOD settled down after his yellow. I thought for a few minutes after that he might lose the head and Hayes was Hayes. Imagine being a goalie and looking out at those three wondering where you’re going to put the ball. Monsters of men.

Peter Casey is a great player. Would have definitely been MOTM two years ago only for his injury. As someone said, all his points were different yesterday but equally brilliant and important.

It’s going to take a huge effort from whoever to take them down. I don’t know who will. The only chance is if Limerick take their eye off it in Munster.

The car knew

1 Like

While Wally Walsh wasn’t doing a whole lot, the switching of Mullen to wing forward led to Hayes completely taking over in the last 25 minutes. Walsh at least was keeping Hayes honest, Mullen had no interest in trying to compete with hayes and he had free reign

1 Like