2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

A bit of perspective is sometimes needed.

There was one passage of play in the second half where Limerick were on top and there was four (4) throw balls shamelessly played in succesion before the ball was played in and Gillane was fouled. It was real RIP Hurling stuff.

I got a kick out if David Reidy’s lovely flick up down by the corner flag in the second half but i have absolutely no time for this running up the field throwing the ball to each other and then run into contact to win a free. Diarmuid Byrnes scored something like seven long range frees which summed it up. That’s not hurling at all.

3 Likes

There was one half goal chance at the start of the second half. Flanagan pinged a ball from the sideline to the square. Gillane miscontrolled it with the stick and it flew about 15 yards away from him. If he had controlled it it was probably a goal. Other than that they weren’t even trying to create goal chances

You’re very bitter for a youngfella. You’d want to let go of that. It will make you sick in the long run

11 Likes

Limerick need to beat Dublin to cement their legacy.

Dublin’s 100% record against Limerick in championship games since Justin McCarthy departed the Limerick set up remains intact.

You’re rightly back on track now, keep it coming

Totally agree, I’m sick of the Limericks at this stage, I’m going back supporting my native WH.

1 Like

Let it all out little fella

1 Like

Season 6 National Ice Cream Day GIF by Ex On The Beach

You’re unravelling pal, not a good look

1 Like

He’ll need a new phrase. “Fundamentally unstoppable” perhaps.

1 Like

This type of shite is what has Kilkenny hurling in the current situation.

First off, Limerick won by producing what was immediately and widely acknowledged as 25 or 30 minutes of sublime hurling. I can only think of a 15 minute stretch during the 2012 AIF replay and the first half of the 2008 AIF for comparison.

Again, there were only two points in it yesterday with ten or so minutes left. Kilkenny were denied a clear 65, which would likely have left them but a point down. Limerick would have won nicely in any event but the matter is far from as black and white as the ‘bring back Cody’ shite insists. I knew this craic would start up, because some people just love the past for its familiarity.

Yesterday, Kilkenny should have been up seven or eight points at halftime. Poor wides and a few dreadful errors by Conor Fogarty meant a three point lead at halftime. So that Kilkenny lost to an extraordinary second half performance by Limerick. I fail to see the shame in this reality. We had The Cranberries afterwards rather than the Benny Hill theme tune.

The patent reality, as results and performances indicate: Kilkenny stagnated, in wojous extent, during the last seven years of Cody’s reign. Had Dublin drawn with Galway in last year’s round robin, Kilkenny would not have qualified from Leinster. By the way, seven years is nearly a third of his overall reign. What does this reality say about Cody as a manager? He did not even go into the dressingroom at halftime in the 2019 AIF.

While Limerick were trying every sort of a route towards improvement, Brian Cody and his nodding dog acolytes had no more to offer than ‘We won 11 All Irelands’. Take a look at the 2018 round robin game against Wexford. Take a look at Cody and James McGarry out on the sideline, gesticulating angrily at Eoin Murphy to go long with his puckouts. They want EM – and Paul Murphy – to keep giving Shaun Murphy the ball.

Cody utterly disgraced himself last year by his carry on in Salthill and after the Leinster Final. He behaved like a classless oaf. One of the key people in Kilkenny GAA was so disgusted by this carry on that he drove out, unannounced, to Cody’s house on the Monday morning and told him: “Brian, you are not just representing yourself on that sideline. You are representing Kilkenny. Cop yourself on.”

Kilkenny hurling now faces far choppier waters than Kilkenny hurling faced in late 1998. This reality is every bit as much Brian Cody’s legacy as those 11 All Irelands. There was great hurling in Kilkenny before Brian Cody arrived. And there will be, hopefully, great hurling in Kilkenny again.

27 Likes

For what it’s worth I think Derek Lyng cuts a very impressive figure on the sideline.

Life is about timing but I’m not sure his timing is great here.

3 Likes

Your hatred of Limerick is something else, it’s been widely acknowledged by knowledgeable pundits including your own Nicky English that our display in the second half yesterday was up there with the best ever, yet we have to read your drivel about RIP hurling, I genuinely know you’re not wumming, you’re the only one here that hasn’t once acknowledged LKs displays over the last 5 years, just a continuous stream of bile about performance enhancing drugs, “fundamentally useless” etc etc.

1 Like

Also is Kyle Hayes the first man to have five all Ireland medals at 25?

Pat Spillane in football would have.

I’d never heard about him not going into the dressing room at half time in 2019. That’s fascinating.

Does he reference that in any of his motivational speeches?

He’s a complicated character.

I don’t think he can be faulted for whatever perceived issues KK have there now. He was only senior manager.

Yeah, seems like an alright sort, comes across professionally

He’s like sir Alex Ferguson. He’s from a different era and wouldn’t relate to the youth of today.

He most certainly can be. Nodding dogs is not much of a legacy.

Good luck to Limerick, all the while. A wonderful team.

First half 2021 Final also.

1 Like