2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

Yes.

It’s essentially a patched up Kilkenny team carrying a few lads who aren’t good enough and a few lads who are over the hill.

I doubt anybody would get more out of them than him.

I know we disagree but last year imo Limerick could have won the game in the first 35 minutes. There was none of that this year.

Ah yeah but.

The senior team of today reflects the last 20 years of work by others. Cody wasn’t in charge of that.

Shefflin didn’t have time to join the nodding dogs.

Yet has time for Galway.

Genuine question. Do you actually consume a full tin of Andrews before you start posting?

1 Like

If Jason Forde had scored them it would be fine though.

2 Likes

What is your point, other than trying to be obnoxious?

You have not got the first clue about the relevant issues involved in the Galway management scenario of late 2021.

Nodding dogs love Brian Cody.

Too late in the year for Jason. Hed fire them over from all angles in February alright

2 Likes

I dont know what a tin of Andrews is?

I’m not saying Lyng is a bad manager but i think he was very lucky at different stages this year. The Leinster Final was a total robbery and Clare facilitated their Semi Final win by self sabotage.

1 Like

At least Forde wouldn’t foul the ball when taking them.

1 Like

Poor aul sid looking up dreaming of what once was.

1 Like

Kilkenny have now lost 4 all Ireland’s in a row.they are well on their way to being the Mayo of hurling
I can see a lot of retirements coming i can’t see why the likes of Richie Hogan would continue.

Here are the two teams from 2014’s Minor All Ireland Final:

KILKENNY Darren Brennan, Tommy Walsh, Conor Delaney, Cathal McGrath, Pat Lyng, Jason Cleere, Darragh Joyce, Conor Browne, Luke Scanlon, SeĂĄn Morrissey, Ross Butler, RĂłnan Corcoran, Alan Murphy, Liam Blanchfield, John Walsh.

Subs: Billy Ryan for Ross Butler (ht), Eoin Kenny for Conor Browne (38m), Andrew Gaffney for Ronan Corcoran (59m).

LIMERICK Eoghan McNamara, SeĂĄn Finn, Paddy O’Loughlin, Lorcan Lyons, Colin Ryan, Andrew La Touch-Cosgrave, Conor Byrnes, Robbie Hanley, Thomas Grimes, SĂ©amus Flanagan, Barry Nash, Cian Lynch, Peter Casey, Tom Morrissey, Ronan Lynch.

Subs: Conor Fitzgerald for Conor Byrnes (16m), Ed Doyle for Conor Fitzgerald (ht), Jamie Porter for Lorcan Lyons (ht), Barry Murphy for Thomas Grimes (54m).

The gulf in player development is fairly stark. Brian Cody got the credit for everything when things were going well. So we might take a look at the obverse as well.

On 2022 versus 2023: well, Kilkenny could have won last year bar some terrible wides. This year, they were game in the first half and seeing them off drew an extraordinary performance from Limerick in the second half. All credit to them and Limerick simply have a better team at the moment than everyone else. End of.

But do I think Kilkenny hurling gave itself optimum chance over the last seven or eight years? Do I fuck
 To give just one instance: putting Pádraig Walsh full back in 2017 was one of the dumbest hurling decisions ever made.

1 Like

Do you seriously think Brian Cody is the future?

Is that Eamonn Horan at one end and Dickie Murphy at the other?

Maybe I do or maybe I don’t.

And I’m not particularly a fan of Brian Cody’s (which I think will upset him greatly) but my point is that the senior manager is not responsible for the development of players until they join his squad.

He didn’t have too many diamonds in latter years yet kept them very competitive.

Not really no.

On the 2014 Minor team, they were average at Under 21 so it’s hardly Cody’s fault they didn’t kick on.

The big problem is surely Kierans monopoly on the schools.

You have a tenuous grip on hurling matters if you think being “competitive” is praiseworthy.

I would not consider putting PĂĄdraig Walsh full back made Kilkenny more competitive.

He’s a lad who can’t handle change.

He needs everything to be familiar to feel comfortable.

1 Like

Didn’t that Kilkenny team lose 2-8 to 0-3 or something like that against Dublin the same year? A major scalp in the final against Limerick but their trajectory wasn’t exactly linear. A fair chunk of those players lost to Westmeath in U21 in 2016 as well.

The core problem is the nodding dog culture fostered from the early 2010s onwards. The nadir of that craic was the instalment of Pat Tynan as Development Officer (and the County Board trying to get him reappointed.).