2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

You are right about Tom Phelan. Terrible untidy. But he deserves another go next year. Could at least compete for ball in the air.

True, in all likelihood, about Mossie Keoghan (as a forward), Billy Ryan and Tommy Walsh. Conor Fogarty was washed up as far back as 2016 (look at what happens for Niall O’Meara’s goal).

Hard to know best position for Cian Kenny. Probably roving corner forward.

Gearóid Dunne is good – but is he a forward?

Eoghan Lyng is the young hurler you mean, I am fairly certain. He will be fast tracked, along with Killian Corcoran and Jeff Neary.

All true. And there are serious questions about that notable lack of development.

It took a complete meltdown in Limerick (2009- 2010) for change to be adopted. The GAA structures arent readily made for foreward thinking people to come to the fore. The JP influence is rightly been pointed to as a keystone down here but what people decide to ignore is that he influenced everyting that happened in the naughties via big Joe. Another nodding dogs secanario.
To their credit they recognised the problem - Limerick was not and never was an environment for young players to develop in sufficient quantity to suceed . The solution was to take over the Lifting the Treaty stragety and create an accademy OUTSIDE the control of the county board. That meant players were not only athletes but I’m told have a sense of belonging to something different.

5 Likes

That’s the big one, under the control of JP’s brother.

That Limerick minor team is incredible. Even those who didn’t make it at Inter County are excellent club hurlers. It must be the best starting 6 forwards ever in one minor team.

2 Likes

Limerick were sending officials to WEXORD in 2011/2012 to see how things were being done :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Obviously didn’t implement.

5 Likes

In fairness they went everywhere but the key one was to Arsenal.

:joy::joy::joy:

PS, that was Eamon Horan & Dickie Murphy in that photo. A nice touch to let the Offaly man fulfil the MC role for the jubilee team intros & I can only guess Dickie was the referee for the final?

1 Like

The refs and their assessors are the ones at fault. They must blow the whistle. Yesterday was a joke altogether. One passage of play? You could say every passage of play!
Limerick didn’t score a goal yesterday but the one they score v Galway came from a throw to Tom Morrissey before he played the ball into Gillane. Blow the whistle, goal opportunity doesn’t happen. Also in that game, Kyle Hayes won a ball in the air over the Galway player and his arm did a 270 degree swing to fling the ball out to the next player.
As I said yesterday, if you are 6 ft plus, built like a man mountain, do you really need to throw or be allowed throw the ball to create scoring chances?

2 Likes

Would be a sad way for TJ and Richie Hogan to finish up. Two fantastic players. Just such a shame Hogan has been beset by so many injuries in the last 6 or 7 years. His peak was so long ago you’d forget what a player he was.

Reid is incredible. But he just looks to be slowing down and the scoring from play has dried up. That Kilkenny are still heavily reliant on him at 35/36 shows the lack of alternatives there at the moment.

Tin hat on but I’m a bit surprised by the ‘Lawlor roasted Gillane’ comments on here. AG got two from play, including the best score of the game, assisted for one Lynch point and nailed his frees. Now Lawlor is top class and definitely edged that battle but the idea he cleaned him out fully is strange. The one criticism of Limerick is we don’t feed Gillane enough. He got two balls in the first half of the semi final and bagged 1-01.

Kyle Hayes is a phenomenal player. I think he’s the only Limerick player you could play in any position in a big championship game and he’d be a 7/10. And I include in goal or corner back in that. Strong, quick, great touch, big, intelligent and a lovely bit of cut to him. He has it all and more.

In saying that Gillane is HOTY. Not even a debate. He is elite. As said above, he isn’t utilised enough. Munster final, AI semi final and final he must have about 3-07 from play, nearly all of those being at crunch times and not when they’re ten points up.

Just blessed to be around for this era. We won’t see it again, for sure. A bloody four in a row. Totally mad and bewildering. Looking at that great Kilkenny team 2006-2009 and those iconic names… crazy to think this Limerick group have matched then now.

Munster is a bear pit and will be for the foreseeable. Controversial opinion but I think Cork were the best team Limerick played this year. This year might be their equivalent of 2017 for Kiely. Learn an awful lot and improve. Pat Ryan seems a shrewd guy. They’ll end their drought in the next couple of years.

Anyway, I’m off to the pub where my local publican will be showing his fourth rewatching of the match already today.

31 Likes

Slating Brian Cody fucking hell talk about a personal vendetta, throwing in absolute bullshit about some county board stooge rocking up to Cody’s front door and giving him a telling off :joy:

Is Eoghan Lyng anything to Jim?

Did KK take their eye off the ball underage during the last few years? They’d a stream of lads coming from 01-06/07 that backboned the senior panel for years.

Carey will be back in, plus Blanch. Drennan should be tried again.

Richie is done, his back is fucked. TJ is 50/50 for me. Big Walter :man_shrugging:

Not sure. There are three or four different Lyng families in Inistioge and The Rower.

Derek Lyng is Jim Lyng’s nephew.

Of course he will. He’ll take time but has the potential to be very good.

It was a clear 65 and it was a 2 point swing, i also think phelan threw the ball for deegans goal, but it wasn’t the reasons the goal was scored, limericks defensive shape broke down and it was worked well. When KK actually went looking for goals near the end, they worked good spaces between the half back and full back line and only for incredible individual defending would have scored a goal. They never resorted to lumping it in.

If they got rid of handpassing altogether it would suit limerick down to the ground.

Down the line, the team will perhaps be along this line:

Eoin Murphy/Aidan Tallis

Mikey Butler
Huw Lawlor
Killian Corcoran/Eoghan Lyng

Conor Heary
David Blanchfield
Killian Corcoran/Eoghan Lyng

Michael Carey
Paddy Deegan

Cian Kenny
Adrian Mullen
GearĂłid Dunne

Billy Drennan
John Donnelly
Eoin Cody

Subs: Eoin Murphy/Aidan Tallis, Timmy Clifford, Darragh Corcoran, Killian Doyle, Paddy Langton, Liam Moore, Jeff Neary, Denis Walsh.

1 Like

Do not start me about Kilkenny underage… You had a recent scenario where Ciarán Muldowney was replaced by Pado O’Flynn.

Nodding dogs wanted, as I said.

You have not got a jot.

O’Flynn was involved with WIT and a few Dublin teams? What’s he like. Never came across him