2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

Iā€™d be happier with that too.

1 Like

They are trialling that this year. Iā€™d have no objection to that but I do think there may be some unintended consequences.

2 Likes

Yeah, but enough singing praises about Eoin Larkin, what about Tom Morrissey?

He was. One of the most outrageously skilful hurlers I have ever seen.

Saw him do an extraordinary thing once in a club game. He was running right to left from full forward, back to goal, towards a low diagonal delivery from the left side of midfield. He feigned as if going to kill the ball with his hurl into his hand and keep travelling in same direction, which naturally inclined his marker to put body weight on left foot. Sensing this development, DB instead chopped under and across the delivery, spinning up the ball swiftly and sharply outside his right shoulder. He then spun towards goal, caught the ball, took his steps and a second catch and buried the ball into the net off his left side.

2 Likes

Like any change, there will be unknowns.

1 Like

If itā€™s coached itā€™s shameful. My experience has been Iā€™m pulling my hair out to try stop them throwing.

A VAR system is bound to come in soon enough. It will weed out the cynical hits and it will also weed out the throwing of the ball.

You could make an argument for any of them and you couldnā€™t really judge it the Limerick lads are finished. And even then, is it ever definitive when youā€™re picking between players like that. I canā€™t get over that weā€™re talking about these Limerick players in the same breath as the all time greats. Itā€™s a privilege to watch them.

The shoulder will have to go Iā€™m afraid. Some lad is going to get very very hurt sooner rather than later.

There is no shame in it. Same as I didnā€™t feel ashamed leaving Croker in 21. Beaten by a magnificent side at the top of their gameā€¦who never took the foot off the throatā€¦winners

2 Likes

Clean, fair shouldering has a place and I would hope it still will. However the cynical stuff lads are clearly told to do when needed has to be dealt with. And if refs arenā€™t able to catch it in real time, use the technology.

Its a health and safety issue now. I seen the shoulder on Jake Morris. No one wants to see that.

3 Likes

Lads! Ye were on about the aftermath of the 12th in Belfast!?

FB_IMG_1690220111208

Absolutely. The rule book and disciplinary punishments need to be very strict for that sort of thing. Something else which needs urgent looking at.

1 Like

I must have a terrible memory, in my memory Nicky rarely hit the frees while that rivalry was in its peak, Fox and Cleary

Exactly. Kilkenny were but two points behind when that really poor 65 decision came. The incident with David Reidy near the end ā€“ when the game was over as a contest ā€“ was a clear penalty. Limerick were extraordinary in the second half but Kilkenny, even when performing in nowhere near optimum fashion as regards touch and possession retention, were right in the game for most of it. They came up short against a great team. The worry lies in how some of the players that will be central over the next few years performed on the day.

What has happened is that Munster supremacists such as DĆ³nal Ɠg Cusack, who has never got over 2006 and after with Kilkenny, are now obsessed with hailing Limerick as the best team ever. Anthony Nash was at it as well. That ape Stapleton is an even worse version of this craic. What I would say is that Cork people and Tipperary people should have more pride than to be adopting Limerick for this sort of proxy shite.

If Limerick win five in a row in 2024, they will be the best team ever in an irrefutable way. At the minute, they are equal best with Kilkenny 2006-09/2006-11.

The rest is noise ā€“ and a lot of it vainglorious noise.

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree something has to change, itā€™s a mockery at this stage.

Would banning the handpass not lead to more rucks? In this situation the player will be forced to drop the ball, calvary arrives to help and a big ruck ensuesā€¦?

1 Like

Iā€™d be inclined to agree. Banning it would leave it very easy bottle up a fella.

He had one very poor lift in first half he missed the free after

People are entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Limerick are the greatest team I have seen. Absolutely flawless.

2 Likes