2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

Mind that ball gag.

It might have been said before but you’d have to admire Kilkenny for not playing a sweeper when they were getting torn asunder in the second half there yesterday.

2 Likes

You’re being very harsh on his rugby introduction

For me the KK team just has better all time hurlers than the current Limericks. Hayes,Gillane, Lynch and Finn are all time greats . KK team 15 years ago just has more of these imo

I agree with this.

I would still rank Cody era-Kilkenny as the greatest.

I don’t think you can separate out Kilkenny as being 2006 to 2009 or whatever. It’s 2000 to 2015, even though 2015 was entirely different from 2000. Yet it was somehow the same. It was a pretty much seamless dynasty of winning.

Five in a row does not top 11 All-Irelands in 15 years, or 8 in 10.

Kilkenny had to beat great opponents even in just that four in a row run. Cork '06 and Tipp '09 (and '14) provided a challenge Limerick simply haven’t faced, except maybe for Clare in games which were not elimination games. Despite losing 2010 to Tipp, Kilkenny reaffirmed their superiority over them for the next four years in a row. Tipp in '02 were a top opponent. Waterford were also a good opponent, no matter what the scoreboard said in 2008.

In finals Limerick have beaten a punch drunk Galway, a very green Waterford team, a very average Cork team, and a valiant but not quite at the level Kilkenny team twice. It’s not their fault there aren’t other great teams around but you sort of need those opponents who bring you to hell and back in order to really prove your greatness. Dublin had that with Mayo.

Limerick probably need a close, dramatic final against Clare or maybe an emerging Cork team to hammer home their place in history, and they’ll need at least two or three more All-Irelands (not necessarily in a row) to surpass Kilkenny I think.

4 Likes

name them

Against that Kilkenny waltzed through Leinster each year and didn’t play half the amount of lose games Limerick do. You can argue it in either directions, there’s loads of different contexts you can focus on.

At least I am not such a flute as to be an engineer below in Clare pretending I have an interesting life in England. As well as being the right wing’s attempt at a Frank Spencer.

Mind how you go.

Shefflin, JJ and Tommy Walsh are automatic millennium picks . None of the limericks are yet. For me Noel Hickey, Tyrell , Cha , Fennelly , Richie Power all walk into that Limerick team too

And I think that hurling opinion of yours is perfectly reasonable and arguable. We are, after all, on a discussion forum.

Finn has already overtaken Tyrrell anyway.

1 Like

He wouldn’t get in ahead of Finn but would Nash

It’s arguable because Nash has revolutionised the position. But fair enough Tyrrell has a greater body of work at this stage. We can judge it in another five or six years.

3 Likes

You could argue Kilkenny usually had to come into the semi-final off the back of a five or six week gap, which could have left them cold and prone to the shock against an opponent coming in with regular game time. Munster champions of the era tended to struggle badly after that sort of gap. Kilkenny almost never did, with the exception of the occasions Galway caught them.

Hurling is a squad game now. I don’t doubt that Limerick have the strongest squad ever assembled. That and the thick and fast nature of games now places a massive emphasis on squad depth and physical fitness and particularly mitigates against opponents with patchier squads at the business end of the championship, most notably Clare, whose last four championship games against Limerick were a draw, a three point defeat after extra time, a one point win and a one point defeat.

Under the old system Clare might well have been in the last two All-Ireland finals and coming in reasonably fresh because of the bigger gaps between games you had under that system.

1 Like

With the experience Kilkenny had the gap was never a problem, it’s the same for Limerick now.

I think he’d to move to England to support his coloured son Fintan

1 Like

Limerick don’t have to face a six week gap. The round robin then every two weeks for the rest of the championship suits them because of their squad depth. It doesn’t particularly suit other teams with less depth.

I think if you plonked the Kilkenny team of '06-'09 into a round robin with Cork, Tipp, Clare and Waterford, they’d have probably won the last four All-Irelands too.

Kilkenny won 4-in-a-row.
Limerick won 4-in-a-row.

Two great teams, two great managers, two great squads. All other talk about who is better is pure scutter.

8 Likes

I’m sure they would they’re an all time great team, it goes without saying.

Just to go back to this, I don’t think we have the strength in depth Kilkenny had. Maybe next year we will if everyone’s fit.

But sure most talk is scutter.

This, the TFK.com, is ALL scutter.

2 Likes