2023 AI Hurling Final Limericks v KK

How many balls did Mr Burns catch in the second half?

Genuinely?

I’m not sure I’m in a heap here watching it

Jim Gavin was slaughtered for saying that when he was winning all round him with the swashbuckling dubs long before JP put the three extra zeros on the cheque for limerick and Kiely

1 Like

Terrible weekend for him with the National Party having their gold stolen too. He was hitting puck outs in the second half on Sunday with the same frequency he likes racist posts on Twitter.

6 Likes

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

1 Like

Limericks lack of a proper all Ireland winning rival definitely counts against them. Kilkenny had to overcome a great cork team with a lot of 3 time all Ireland winners at their peak who were seen to be almost unbeatable in 2006 and a very very good Tipp team most of whose star players ended up with 3 all irelands and a few who would come close to an all time Tipp team.
Limerick are absolutely class but have beaten fuck all unfortunately.

3 Likes

Galway 18 were probably the best team they’ve beaten in a final so far. Galway won everything going in 17 and still looked like the best team in the land for most of the 18 championship. However by the time they reached the final they were running on fumes with a handful of players carrying knocks into the game. Limerick weren’t even particularly great that day by their recent ridiculous standards but Galway completely underperformed. Hurled for 10 minutes and still almost stole it.

Since then Limerick have faced a series of teams in the final who had talent but all had significant flaws as well. Of course though @thelimericks can only bate what’s in front of them.

2 Likes

Absolute saltyness in that post, a great chip team for one in a rows. Anyway thats none of our bother, we’ll enjoy this one and worry about next year in January. At least there are a majority of posters who have had a cut over the last few years can at least appreciate what we have witnessed, maybe someday they might see something similar with their own counties, theres no denying the disbelief amongst Limerick supporters that this is happening to us, we would have taken your hand off for 1, we got that and everything since is a bonus.

3 Likes

Lynch has the luxury of being surrounded by damaging talent. Teams simply can’t give him the personal attention. Look at fitzgibbon and it was a fairer scenario. Anyhow, it’s all just opinion.

:smiley:

I wouldn’t make a marginal trade at Goalkeeper even if they threw in one of the greatest players of all time in his prime.

I’d say you’re some businessman.

:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Salty me hole I’ve been hoping for Limerick in every one of those finals.

1 Like

Not marginal - two years in a row Murphy started lamping it down in our half backline under pressure

No short or mid range puck outs

He’s a mile off Quaid and other goalkeepers

2 Likes

Put Murphy on Limerick and Quaid on Kilkenny.

What can Quaid do in the second half the other day. His short ones are being engulfed and his long ones are essentially giving the ball away. The pitch looks like it has a 30 degree tilt. He’d make very little difference if he has nobody to win a ball.

5 Likes

Saying that there is no real rival is a terrible excuse, the chasing pack is very close, imho cork were the best team that Limerick faced this year and they didnt get out of munster, even upto the final puck in that match they could have put Limerick out. A lot of this year it was a mental battle to win, down at least 5 points at one point of another in the games against clare, galway and kk, still won. Margin of victories in the matchs before the semi this year and the whole way back to cork in the first round of 2022 were all 1 or 2 points, includimg 2 draws with clare, a one point defeat to clare and a draw with tipp. If you took this Limerick team out of the championship anyone could win as they are all so tight. I don’t think there has been so many genuine contenders if Limerick werent so dominant.

2 Likes

He did the same against Waterford in 2020.

The odd Hollywood save does not make up for puck out deficiency

Murphy is a 90s goalkeeper

2 Likes

Thats a bit unfair.
Quaids puc outs are part of a bigger team setup. If there isnt movement up front Quaids pucouts would look poor.
His quality is to hit the spots allied to that movement. Kilkenny are transitioning a bit to this type of plan however when under pressure they return to type.
A case of when the pressure comes on the first thing to go out the window is the latest thing learned

2 Likes

I think Kelly is surrounded by quality players in fairness.

Whatever about the green machine v the Kilkenny four in a row side how many of the current Kilkenny side would make that Kilkenny side?

Eoin Murphy, Hugh Lawlor, Adrian Mullen and eoin Cody.

Cody and Mullen probably wouldn’t have made it either tbh.

We have a definitive answer this morning which will end the debate. Martin Breheny ranks Kilkenny 2006-09 ahead of Limerick 2020-23 at the top of his league table.