2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Can a Clare supporter answer me why Morey was the sweeper? @Raylan @Big_Dan_Campbell

Whatever about changing the system for an All-Ireland semi-final; maybe they felt that it was necessary, but surely Conlon would have been the best option? Or Paul Flanagan? Even Rory Hayes, who does have questionable decision-making but can hurl.

I just wouldn’t consider Morey to be that good on the ball. He’s very quick and will cover the ground but it’s not as if he has an amazing first touch and not the fella to pick out passes. Just seems like a strange decision.

1 Like

I don’t think it did, it was a very stiff breeze in Croker today and the duck acting for kilkennys goal was a far bigger determination on todays game than Clare playing a sweeper into the breeze first half

2 Likes

Clare looked much more solid defensively without the sweeper

2 Likes

But a game of fine margins no doubt.

Limerick seem to have a serious amount of ‘characters’ for a gaa team especially hurling. Tattoos, long hair, earrings. Would Kilkenny have one player with any of the above for eg?

I said earlier that I thought they probably wanted him to carry out and create overlaps, and maybe best case draw KK men towards him around midfield to make space for TK/Fitz/Taylor. He definitely has the pace you want for that job but I wouldn’t really see him as a lad to lift his head and pick passes out. On top of that the execution of the passes coming out of defence was never slick enough either and we were coughing up balls and conceding off those turnovers.

You could argue that the Fogarty block on Rodgers and the Murphy save were pivotal, but Quilligan had a great game at the other end too to be fair.

2 Likes

Did Conor Whelan even touch the ball in the second half,he must have been seething with the ball coming in

You’d imagine Taylor would be best for that role if it was meant to be attacking rather than defensive

1 possession, 1 point, I think.

Hard luck today chief. Great game. Clare are excellent, the seeeper didn’t suit ye.

2 Likes

It’s criminal the way they use him,he got great service in the first half.I suppose Limerick put so much pressure on out the field the service into him suffered

I honestly thought ye’d beat us today.

Morey carried out his role okay too, he’s being slated harshly enough for carrying out orders

1 Like

‘Its all about the trust(fund)’

Clare were flaked todays. And lost accordingly

They’l win by a point a man

I’m all for using an extra man in an attacking sense, I just think expecting your sweeper to be able to run the ball out of defence is a bit optimistic.

I still think Conlon would have been the best option from the starting team.

Conlon didn’t look fully fit today

1 Like

100%, Clare had Kilkenny on the ropes until they conceded the goal and it absolutely knocked the shit out of Clare and killed any momentum and belief they had.

3 Likes

You’ve said this a few times now. Limerick will win by 23 points? Or 15?

Don’t forget to take into account the ref as well. We’ll have him bought too

1 Like