2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

I thought the stewarding and organisation was poor enough to be honest. 10/15 minutes before the game only the corner stairway on the Clare End terrace was open and there was a massive, unmoving queue for it way back down onto the ground concourse.

Then some eejit let off a smoke bomb. Eventually after about ten minutes of this queue not moving at all the other staircases were opened and they were all free as a birdie.

The lack of a minor game is big no-no when you’re expecting a full house at a match, I feel. It gives the crowd time to filter in at a leisurely pace and cuts down on a late rush. The early throw in time and traffic problems added to that late rush.

During the second half of the game somebody apparently collapsed on the terrace about 15 yards away from me and despite people shouting for help the stewards stood there like dummies. They appeared to be all outsourced stewards in over their head rather than GAA people.

I wouldn’t be a fan of the internal terrace layout at Páirc na nGael and the floodlight pylons in the corner are a pest for spectators.

3 Likes

If Cork wanted games they should have built the stadium in Charleville

1 Like

None of those things mattered much or were any way relevant to the overall success of the day really. They happen at most big games. Stewards not having much of a clue is expected and traditional.

The traffic management was absolutely outstanding and the city and the environs of the TUSGG were well able to cater for the crowd.

2 Likes

the stewarding was so good, the crowd invaded the pitch before the match was over ! And John Kiely had to take on a steward role to clear the pitch to allow the match to end

5 Likes

I know, class wasn’t it?! A real throwback. Reminded me of 2013.

As I said, an absolutely brilliant occasion that had it all

2 Likes

what does Portlaoise hold?

will there be 30k at the quarter finals? just about

everything-is-fine-all-ok
Best Munster Final ever I tells ya

1 Like

My favourite part was the gridlock coming out of Caherdavin Celtics pitch, which meant all the Clare lads with the long faces looking to get away fast were stuck there for ages.

They did not find it amusing to be told the delay was due to tailbacks in Buttevant, but we all found it terribly funny I must say

4 Likes

Your post was about organisation. I didn’t find things particularly well organised. Part of that is down to the Munster Council and the lack of a curtain raiser but I wouldn’t be mad about the Gaelic Grounds as a venue, it’s alright and nothing more. I forgot to even mention the pitch invasion which @kerry1891 referenced.

If somebody collapses on the terrace there should be a plan in place ready to spring into action, especially after the death of that man at the corresponding round robin game, and the impression I got of that incident was that help didn’t come particularly quickly, though I will defer to anybody who was an eyewitness to that very sad incident. It wasn’t very pleasant to see stewards standing around like gobdaws when it looked like somebody could possibly have had a heart attack on the terrace last Sunday, though thankfully it didn’t seem to be nearly as serious as that this time.

GAA matches with full crowds mainly go off without major incident not because of any inherent organisational abilities on behalf of the GAA but because crowds tend to be very well behaved.

Look, for some lads it’s more enjoyable to watch it on TV. There’s a frightful amount of them posting on here, so there’s no shame in it.

1 Like

Very defensive response to an account of a match goer.

1 Like

2013, 2019 and 2023 munster finals in the Gaelic Grounds are some of my most cherished occasions. A special place and outstanding city

3 Likes

You can see why Lohan wanted it there

6 Likes

He did it for us supporters. Lohan is a great man

Will it be sold out?

You want the big games in the best stadiums.

The marina market would be hopping and you can imagine the Atlantic park basked in sunshine and kids running around everywhere in excitement . A real family occasion

No doubt the publicans below in Limerick are preparing a court application to open earlier close later and put on temporary extensions for the influx

It’s 20 mins walk from the city centre :person_shrugging:

Is it any more difficult to get to than the Aviva for visiting supporters

Clare’s pitch invasion after winning the round robin was bigger. Understandable really.

3 Likes

For Rob Heffernan maybe

13 Likes

:joy::joy: