2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Iā€™d have very high hopes that Jarlath will sort out the wheat from the chaff once he gets inside the door.

I hope he finds a role for Ogie.

Iā€™m not sure where to put this but the misunderstanding of the rules on charging (which means a shoulder charge) from otherwise knowledgeable hurling folk is astonishing.

There is no such offence as ā€œbargingā€ and you are not allowed to charge with the ball.

There is no such term as steps in the rule book when referring to overcarrying either. Stop being so precious

2 Likes

Ah FFS. Where would you be going debating with this.

1 Like

1.7 When a player is in possession of the ball it may be: (a) Carried in the hand for a maximum of four consecutive steps or held in the hand for no longer than the time needed to take four steps.

For a very knowledgeable hurling person you clearly havenā€™t a bulls notion what the rules of the game are.

2 Likes

Yes, you can take four steps. It doesnā€™t class the act of overcarrying the ball as ā€œstepsā€ yet that is the ubiquitous term for the act

The rule is on steps. The rulebook says steps. You are completely wrong.

There clearly is.

1 Like

You are going to bizarre lengths on these semantics. Stop being so precious, there are plenty of terms used which arenā€™t in the rule book - this is a very weird hill to die on. Are lads wrong to shout throw ball now as well?

Thereā€™s nothing bizarre about it, whatā€™s bizarre is your odd doubling down on your complete lack of knowledge of what the actual rules are.

You said steps isnā€™t in the rulebook, it is. ā€œBargingā€ is a misunderstanding of charging, and the rules on charging are widely misunderstood. Youā€™re completely wrong on both counts, you could just accept that you misunderstood the rules and take it a learning and move on. Have you ever even read the rulebook?

No.

4.2 (a) To throw the ball.

Another rule you donā€™t know, apparently.

1 Like

Dictionary semantics. Really highlights your deep understanding of the game.

1 Like

Its been quite informative this over and back tbh.

1 Like

I said the terms steps is not specified as the term for overcarrying yet it is the ubiquitous term used for the act. The rule book says you can take four steps but makes no reference to the term steps = overcarrying.

Same with shoulder charge/barge, the two terms in essence mean the same thing, why even argue the difference . The rule book and vernacular used to describe the game are not the same, surprised this has to be spelt out to you

Fair enough - I will hold my hands up to that one and edit my post but the point stands all the same. Itā€™s not like charging and barging have completely different meanings

No, thatā€™s not what you said on steps.

ā€œBargingā€ is just a complete misunderstanding of the rules. People understand it as running into a player, thereā€™s nothing in the rulebook about that. What the rulebook doesnā€™t allow is charging with the ball, meaning a shoulder charge. If people understood what was in the rules a lot of their misunderstandings of ref decisions would be cleared up.

I didnā€™t set out to have a go at you here, as I said youā€™re very knowledgeable about the game. But in the space of a brief exchange youā€™ve shown three mistakes/misunderstandings on three separate rules. Itā€™s not semantics, you donā€™t know what the rulebook says, and the ref can only apply whatā€™s in the rulebook.

I just checked the rule book and I think you may be incorrect also, buddy

5.11 (a) To charge an opponent in the back or to the
front.
(b) To charge an opponent unless:
(i) he is in possession of the ball, or
(ii) he is playing the ball, or
(iii) both players are moving in the direction of
the ball to play it.
(c) To charge an opponent for the purpose of giv-
ing an advantage to a team ā€“ mate.

5.13 (a) To charge (in a manner otherwise permissible on an opponent) the Goalkeeper in his small rectangle.

(b) For a player in possession of the ball to charge an opponent.

ā€œChargeā€ there means a shoulder charge. Itā€™s at 1.9 and repeated in the glossary of terms.

Yes, but 5.11 clearly states that a frontal or back charge can not take place by a player be it in possession or not. Which is what many would deem a barge

No different to steps I suppose. The word charge is there and you canā€™t do it to the front or back of a man in possession which is what i was referring to.

1 Like

You canā€™t charge (meaning shoulder) a person into the front or back, correct. You canā€™t charge while in possession.