2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Dunno where you’d put him.

I only saw the last 10 minutes of the Galway-Tipp match live, but watched it back there.

Galway’s best performance under Henry? If they had somehow managed to lose that game, they’d have been absolutely sickened, they were comfortably the better team imo.

The first 15 minutes or so were really poor from both teams. Lots of potshots from out the field, very little quality in deliveries. But where Galway actually seemed to learn from that, and began to deliver some nice ball in, Tipp just never did. It was crazy stuff from them, there seemed to be no plan to work the ball into the full-forward line. I’d have a certain amount of sympathy for Kehoe & Callanan hooked at half-time, they got fuck all service. When Galway stopped Tipp running at them from deep, Tipp had very little else. I know Galway were playing a sweeper, but even the height on the deliveries was very poor.

The game probably should have been over by half-time, you would expect Whelan to take his two goal chances but did well to take the one after half-time. Has Barrett ever been roasted as badly as that? Attacked every ball but Whelan eased him off way too easily. And Kevin Cooney caused a lot of problems for Breen aswell, I thought he played well, although his decision when to shoot can be very rash, same as his brother who hit some woeful wides from out the field.

In general, I think Galway just had more individuals who played well as well as a more cohesive gameplan. Which perhaps hasn’t always been the case under Henry, so that’s a big positive. Cianán Fahy did really well, Cathal Mannion reads the game excellently and pops the ball around, Padraig Mannion hit some great ball inside, Joseph Cooney other than his shooting was excellent, Daithí Burke was powerful at 6.

For Tipp, not until Gearoid O’Connor came on did they have a bit of oomph around their half-forward line, you’d really have to wonder how he didn’t start, he’s been one of their best players this year. Seamus Kennedy seemed to be one of their only players who actually got his head up and looked to play a proper pass, Tipp just lumped the ball way too much.

They struggled on their own puckouts a bit, Galway’s height & physicality around their own half-back line made an impact. Tipp did stay in touch because of Shelly, largely. And got their goal, maybe could have sneaked it. Some response to the goal though with the point from Monahan after some great play from Jason Flynn & Fahy. Monahan made a big impact from the bench, Conor Cooney maybe not so much.

I would have much preferred to play Tipp than Galway; without Finn, be interesting to see how we cope with Whelan. You would imagine we won’t hit as much brainless ball as Tipp but Galway are very physical too and it’ll be some battle around the breaking ball. If they give us a spare man, our accuracy will from outside will have to be a lot better if the supply to Gillane is shut-off by a sweeper.

6 Likes

Forde in a Tipp team going well or any team going well is an unbelievable asset. I thought he looked very caught for pace yesterday.

Be has so much hurling but is hardly a candidate for the half back line. I don’t know tbh.

We’re injured between the ears.

1 Like

JF turned out a bluffer, same as yesterday, any time the going got proper tough.

1 Like

Probably trying to get away from @flattythehurdler harrassing him for tickets

3 Likes

Possibly the nicest hurler aesthetically in Ireland but push comes to shove you are right.

1 Like

Id say you’d have a fair search through the archives to find when that happened last.

Lovely on the stick, yes, but lacks cojones, mental fortitude and outright pace.

Said to a friend from West Tipp a while ago: “Is Mark Kehoe windy?”

Reply: “Now you said it.”

1 Like

I’ve never ever seen Tipp so light of forwards.

Bubbles should really have been coaxed to mind himself. His is no age in the modern day looking at other lads.

Noel McGrath flipped one lovely switch of play ball to Tynan yesterday for a goal chance. Not that Tynan did much wrong in missing but any other generation of Tipp forward and that is a goal.

3 Likes

Too many disco dancers and not enough moshers in the tipp forward line.

Bubbles has his two Celtic Crosses. End of…

3 Likes

Jason Forde to me is a really nice early season hurler. Great for league and early rounds of the championship. But just doesn’t have it when you get to the business end of things. Just a level below where you want him to be.

Jake Morris I’d put in that category too. Bad and all as Tipperary were yesterday, there was one stage about half way through second half when Galway were looking a bit ropey. Tipperary had got 3 points in a row to cut the deficit to 4. Morris had an awful wide then which sapped a lot of momentum out of them.

He just lacks athleticism which blunts all his other abilities as things quicken up. Teams can afford to put their weakest back on him as they are still likely to be more athletic than him and he can’t get out in front and in a tight game can’t win his own ball. Pop balls into his hand and he had the wrists to punish you but the longer the year goes on the fewer opportunities for this arise

4 Likes

Where are all the snipers in Copper helmets gone?

5 Likes

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Lads are pointing at Jason Forde when he broke a lost cause for a goal and tried til the end

Callinan, Noel McGrath, Keohoe, Morris, Tynan, O’Connor all looked worse than Forde on the field in my view.

Tipp dont have fellas like Bonnar (in his prime), Kelly, Bubbles, Lar in this team.

Theyve a lot to prove in 2024 after the early bounce this year.

1 Like

Forde is probably held to ahigher standard because he is their most gifted player along with Noel and Seamie, but much closer to prime age. They’re waiting on him years.

2 Likes

Tbf Forde is nowhere near the level of those players either.

Forde is a grand hurler and I would agree he was from the worst of them. But people do seem to eulogise him annually for firing over points in looser league games. He is a brilliant striker of the ball, no doubt about that. I know that he does lack a bit of athleticism, but he also lacks the movement of the top inside forwards… which means that his best position is as a floaty 11 and does he tackle enough for half-forward?

I would have a certain amount of sympathy for the Tipp inside forwards yesterday, they were hung out to dry. How many balls that were even 50/50 went in? I don’t think there were that many. Did they work hard enough to stop the ball coming out easy? Maybe not, but at the same time, Galway had the extra man there the whole time so it is difficult and Mannion is a nice snappy hurler.

4 Likes