2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

The day in the Gaelic Grounds where Kyle got that goal. First half Forde was unbelievable. Thought that might be the turning point but it wasn’t. Movement wise, you’re dead right, he can’t figure out a way to get the ball in his hand when it counts.

Galway hurled 10 times better in last years semi final than they did yesterday and still lost

3 Likes

He was very good in the first half of the 2020 Munster final too. But Limerick gave him acres of space to operate in, he picked up handy ball and he put it over the bar with the breeze at his back.

When Limerick squeezed up and choked those spaces, he disappeared. He couldn’t win a puckout, he didn’t stop us setting up attacks and didn’t take another shot himself. Now, he wasn’t the only one, but he is systemic of the entire Tipp team.

I do wonder whether they might have been better trying him at 6.

1 Like

Physically Galway dominated and they nearly lost their grip on the game, by foolish means too.

But there is no doubt they were better. That Tipp full forward line was eaten whole, which is also a testament to that Galway full back line.

Tipp will be a while rebuilding but the first problem they have to solve is around the middle.

1 Like

Was thinking about him for 6 as well. Mentality and physicality questionable but its a position that requires elite striking, technique and vision ideally. He definitely has two of the three. He might be better facing the ball at this level and physically it might be easier for him.

He played there for UL before. Obviously vastly different standard, but I think it would suit him.

Maybe the argument would be that they can’t afford to move him if they’re lacking up front. But he wouldn’t hit the aimless ball that some of the other Tipp players hit yesterday.

There would obviously be question marks over his defensive ability if people ran at him; but there were the same question marks over Conlon & Hannon when they moved back. And Conlon doesn’t even have elite-level striking but he’s generally done quite well there. Now, Conlon is more combative than Forde but if he had protection from midfield…

1 Like

I dunno why lads think he would be able for defensive lines

Ye have enough slow defenders

I’d definitely pay in to see it. Him pinging it around from back there would be Box Office.

I’d say Hannon would have ended up playing the kind of role NoelMcGrathhas played in recent years if centre back hadn’t worked out. He was probably too good to deny.

He’d be cleaned out in the air at 6 sure. I think he gets a raw deal because he hasn’t replaced seamie. Is he similar enough to Horgan in not having the pace to go with his skill. Horgan still makes it work. If tipp had Eamon O’Shea currently he’d figure out a way to get the best out of him despite limitations.

1 Like

There’s a hardness and ego to Hoggie and I mean that in a good way.

4 Likes

I think he is comparable to Horgan but Horgan’s movement is exceptional in fairness to him. He might be lazy defensively, but out-of-possession when Cork have the ball, he does make really clever runs.

I would play Forde at 11 but then you potentially have an issue with Noel aswell who reads the game superbly but can be shut down.

Are Tynan, Stakelum, GOC then carrying a big burden when out of possession?

1 Like

Does he ever play there for the 'Mines?

Don’t know tbh

Daithi Vs Cian will be a battle worth watching in 2 weeks time.

That’s assuming Lynch plays which is unlikely

No.

Whatever about Forde, the swapping of Kennedy and McCormack was just stupid. Kennedy would have scored two points as easily from wing back. He looked lost up there. We have enough square pegs in round holes.

I can’t get my head around it.

1 Like

Right? Thought he would be good to go for this game?

Want even used off the bench last day when could have done with introducing him. Word is we may have to make to do without again

1 Like