2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Yes he’s Mullinahone.

Could you throw up Eddie Brennan’s article too?

Even without Hannon it’s hard to see how Tribe can topple Treaty

EXPERT VIEW

EDDIE BRENNAN

Since this Limerick team rose to the top, there has only been one occasion when Declan Hannon left the pitch early doors - the 2019 semi-final - and it led to them getting knocked out.

He is the glue that ties this team together, their on-field Maximus, doing his job so effectively that guys around him thrive in his presence.

If, as we suspect, he’s absent on Saturday, it’s massive for Galway. Hannon was ruled out of this clash a few weeks ago but now there is talk he might be available. If Galway spot him warming up on Saturday, it could well creep into their mindset.

In this tie last year, Galway got their match-ups spot on, but didn’t plan for four Limerick substitutes in 11 minutes in the second half, which got them unstuck.

Limerick have the artillery to kill teams down the straight. I’m not sure Galway do. Galway likely need a goal, at a key time, to topple the champions.

Limerick know they have to keep Conor Whelan quiet, while their half-forwards will deal with Cathal Mannion.

Will Galway use a sweeper? If so, they’ll be robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you’re to truly take on Limerick, you have to go man-to-man and mirror their system, with half-forwards dropping deep to gather ball and then carrying hard.

No defence deals well with marauding forwards coming up the field, carrying hard, and if you drop a sweeper to keep things tight, Limerick have the in-game awareness to adjust, with various set-ups to revert to.

If their radar is dialled in, they’ll shoot from farther out, with Diarmaid Byrnes and Kyle Hayes coming up and firing from around the 65.

The league final had an ominous look, but championship hurling has blown things wide open. Yet here Limerick are, despite the scars - Seán Finn and Hannon absent, Cian Lynch out of form - on the brink of another clean sweep.

They’re due to find their mojo soon, and if they cut loose early, dictating the terms of engagement, finding men with precise passes, Galway are in trouble.

Limerick looked weary-legged in Munster but have Galway the quality and energy to finish them off? I have my doubts. David Burke is a real leader and his absence will be felt.

Still, winning is the only way for Galway to make progress after a stuttering year. Despite hurling in fits and starts, they’re on the brink of a final, albeit with Goliath in front of them.

Henry has instilled battling spirit, but I can’t see what tactical genius could make Limerick come unstuck.

Cathal Mannion was superb the last day but the work-rate of the Limerick midfielders and half-forwards will limit him and, up front, if Limerick can cut down the supply to Whelan, that will stifle his threat.

Galway needed Conor Cooney in flying form, but he came off the bench the last day and there’s no evidence to suggest, in a concrete way, they will topple the champions.

As for Sunday’s semi-final, Kilkenny won’t fear Clare but the Banner possess strengths that will trouble the Cats. The key for Kilkenny is to stop Clare picking up ball around the middle and carrying hard. That’s the game that suits Tony Kelly, when he can float around and come off the shoulder when someone else is carrying.

A lot will come down to Adrian Mullen. It’ll be an incredible recovery if he lines out, given the damage to his thumb, but he’s a tough cookie and given how he hurt them last year, his presence could keep Clare thinking, stopping their midfield marauding forward. TJ Reid has been quiet, but he’s a big-day player.

For Clare, Conor Cleary, John Conlon and David McInerney are critical. Dublin gave a novice Clare full-back line a lot of trouble the last day and Clare need that spine of their defence in full working order, particularly Conlon.

This is a make-or-break game for the Banner and I won’t be surprised if a point decides it. I’d love to see Derek Lyng make an All-Ireland final and as a Kilkenny man I’m optimistic, but also nervous.

From my playing days, the scenario Clare are in is exactly the one we thrived on. They have a point to prove, and they’ll be intent on making it.

1 Like

Was a forward in the 2012 minor winning team.

1 Like

What an absolute waste of space of an article.

David Burke if fit is an impact sub. When was Conor Cooney in “flying form”? 2017 at best.

1 Like

JP must want to win the Inter Firm all ireland

3 Likes

Great to see James Owens get the gig cc @dodgy_keeper

1 Like

Themselves & Martinstown would make a great final.

1 Like

Correct, grand young lad, some footballer. won an u17 FAI cup medal with Jake in 2016

Ye can thank him for winning in 2018.

1 Like

Seemed to be unlucky with injuries this year. You think he could push for a starting spot next year?

1 Like

Hurled minor and u21 for Tipp

My thoughts on this are the same as usual. Cark lads last year saying Limerick would bate Galway by an absolute minimum of a point a man. It should be a dogfight this one.
That would be by a minimum of 16 points this year with the usual Owens bias against Galway in the hope of a pass to PJ’s golf.

1 Like

A rehash of his preamble about the Galway -Tipp match.

UL own Unijobs

Stop embarrassing yourself ffs!

2 Likes

Jesus mike, you sound like a brexiteer

This news has positively ruined my day.

1 Like

@thelimericks playing a blinder here pretending to be trying to figure out who’ll be centre back and them knowing well Hannon is good to go.

3 Likes