2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

I know we give out all the time about the refereeing. About how this ref is whistle happy and that ref is inconsistent. We also talk about how league games and early championship games are reffed much more strictly than later in the season when things become a bit more lenient, physical and open at the business end of the championship.

Today was a bit of a first for me. The game was refereed in two completely different styles within the one game. The first style was from the start until 25 minutes gone. Galway were on top and we saw a whole host of frees given in this period that usually are waved on at this stage in the season. From then on he flipped into end of season mode and let the game and hits flow, which suited Limerick perfectly. Galway led by 6 and lost the remainder of the game 1-18 0-6.

Itā€™s hard to understand what made Owens change his bar mid game. At the point where Quaid took his little sos Owens went and talked to his umpires. Hard to know if they suggested he swallow the whistle a bit. Or if one of the linemen said anything.

Really odd.

9 Likes

The 3 frees Casey got at the start of the second half were a bit of a joke. I guess itā€™s a skill in a way but they werenā€™t fouls really

2 Likes

5 points from 30 minutes in

Well done all the @limericks.

Simply awesome in the second half and while we didnt help ourselves, made us look like shite

The first thirty minutes is the best hurling Iā€™ve seen us play in years.

The next fifty or so some of the worst.

Classic us really.

6 Likes

Wouldnā€™t fully agree with you there. We facilitated that Limerick performance. It was a capitulation as bad as Iā€™ve seen from a Galway team. Our worst half of hurling in a decadeā€¦ A lack of belief in themselves and in managements ability to guide them out of it coupled with the fact that some of them simply arenā€™t good enough.

14 Likes

Summed it up well

Very strange mate. Ye had Limerick bate for the first 25 minutes. It was outstanding hurling. It just seemed to drift off then.

Galway had one wide I think up to that point. Everything was going over. Hard one to fathom in a way. Mike Caseys block for the 2nd goal which ended up in a DOD point seemed to change the conversation completely.

Iā€™d need to watch it back but it seemed ye just figured us out and we didnā€™t know how to react. I thought we actually looked gassed at times. Weā€™re carrying a few passengers too, lads who arenā€™t offering near enough when the heat gets turned up.

1 Like

By God there is.

I would have started Tom Monaghan and Fintan Burke myself. Its very easy say it afterwards though. Cathal Mannion dropping deep after doing serious damage was an odd tactic though too.

Limerick did turn it on though. Hard luck mate.

1 Like

True enough. Thought we were very good though. But ye helped alright.

Concannon and Whelan were flying early doors and next thing Concannon was half back and Whelan was on his own against three

You can forget about them as men

They definitely cracked whatever your puckout tactic was. Fahy didnā€™t know where to hit it for a finish.

Whatā€™s the word in Clare re Cleary and Duggan. Theyā€™ll need at least one to play to win I think.

If Cleary doesnā€™t play youā€™d imagine itā€™ll be TJ on the edge of the square and ball rained down on him

Well done to the Limericks. Ye have the best corner forward Iā€™ve seen, an assassin.

12 Likes

Weā€™re putting Duggan full backā€¦

Ye have a serious weapon of yer own if ye could figure out how to use him

TK to centre back

I reckon Kilkenny will bate Clare by 5 or 6 points.

Panel depth is an issue there. I donā€™t think they have like for like replacements

1 Like

The Limerick hurley carrier contacted the umpires with a message from THE BIG HOUSE

1 Like