2023 Club Championships

The game of hurling has died in cork. At least @Perez2017 has the round robin to look forward to.

I used to laugh at ballygunnars notion that the likes of DLS, Mt Sion and FMW would be competing in many other counties but maybe it’s more accurate than I was giving them credit for.

The much-maligned Kilcoo firing out a warning shot to the whole country.

They haven’t gone away you know…

Fairly muted celebrations at the end of the Kerry Co final.Youd think it was a league game.

That was a very entertaining Kerry SFC final.

Darren O’Sullivan said earlier in the week he thought Mid Kerry would win it, they were the way better team losing by 0-15 to 2-10.
The experience of past victories stood to East Kerry. David Clifford looked like a fella not bothered and saving himself for Fossa.

1 Like

it was a better final than I expected

Luke Crowley who got the key goal is a special young talent, he can be a star. Son of John Crowley former kerry senior

Luke is a serious hurler as well

2 Likes

[quote=“Massey, post:2127, topic:36458, full:true”]
Fairly muted celebrations at the end of the Kerry Co final.Youd think it was a league game.
[/quote

I would have expected them to be less muted to be honest

1 Like

Ballygunner aiming to become the first club to win a 3 in a row in Munster. Winning margins over the past 2 and a bit Munster campaigns;

2021/22 Ballyea 17, Loughmore 5, Kilmallock 14
2022/23 Kilruane 17, Na Piarsaigh 5, Ballyea 9
2023/24 Sarsfields 17

Their only defeat across the last 4 and a bit campaigns in Munster was a 1 point against Borris-Ileigh in the 2019 Munster Final, a day where they a real systems failure, off day but still nearly pulled it off That was with the 2020/21 competition cancelled as well. They’ve dominated in Munster for a while now.

That was a very poor showing by Sars. I expected them to bring a lot more. The early goal seemed to put them away. 9 points is a poor return.

When watching the game I was thinking the same myself about other Waterford teams. A few of them can at least put it up to Ballygunner for spells in a game.

Even in 2019 before Borrisileigh, they had walloped Sixmilebridge and Patrickswell.

I know @endakenny has been building a case that Kiladangan could beat them in this years final but i just can’t see it.

My theory would be that Ballygunner and Thurles Sarsfields were on a par with each other around 2016/2017. Thurles edging the 2016 clash by one point, BG won in 2017 AET. Since then Thurles have lost Padraic Maher, Michael Cahill, Lar and Pa Bourke. They’ve gone back a mile really. Kiladangan are on a par with the current Thurles team as the last two games showed.

Ballygunner on the other hand have improved a stone in horse racing terms with the addition of Dessie, Patrick Fitzgerald, the younger Mahony’s and Paddy Leavy. The Ballygunner lads from back then like Speedy Power, Harley Barnes, Barry, David, Brian and Tim O’Sullivan very much walked so the new generation could run.

Na Piarsaigh will surely be their stiffest test to reclaiming the All Ireland.

2 Likes

I thought he was based in cork ? Thought he even played with a Cork club at one stage

I hadn’t realised until I was coming out of Walsh Park today that Ballygunner are going to Limerick again to play Na Piarsaigh. I had mistakenly assumed that as they played in the Gaelic Grounds last year that Na Piarsaigh were travelling to Waterford this time.

No sign of Shane McGuigan yet but i hear negotiations are still ongoing. Se McGuigan had opted out for the year so id say they are happy he is back and if they can get Shane back they will be much stronger.

1 Like

How did the upgrade to Walsh Park look?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Corofin don’t win Connacht. There’s a bang of recent Crossmaglen teams off them, teams who how to win inside the county but aren’t the force of old once they go outside the county. Personally I think Moycullen were undone by overconfidence.

Snigger

He was living in Cork a good few years back and played for Bishopstown for a few years

Was a great man to get a goal, the son is as well

1 Like

Would lads have much allegiance to notions like north west kerry or mid south kerry?

I’d heard they’d gone over to support Man Utd alright. They were in Liverpool the week before that for a stag. Good few of them missed the Leinster Intermediate football defeat to the Meath champions. Were they having a couple of pints? They’ll need to be very wary of Kilcormac-Killoughey next Sunday. An exceedingly attractive Leinster club now that Ballyhale are gone.

2009 since a Cork club last won the Munster club? Newtownshandrum. Struggling to win a game these days. No wonder @Perez2017 is appealing for an open draw between Leinster and Munster so vehemently.