2023 Club Championships

Bad decision by TG4 to show Ballymun in front of 20 people this Sunday when they could have showed Austin Stacks v Fossa.

1 Like

The Kerry county board or Clubber mightn’t have allowed it tbf.

2 Likes

Tell us the story of the civil war for the uninitiated. I love a good GAA rift

The Kerry county board have previous for telling TG4 to pay up or fuck off if I recall correctly. It’s also an inter game so TG4 would probably be getting shit for showing that over senior somewhere else if they did.

1 Like

I’d say that TG4 would be ok if they picked this. Stacks were county champions only a couple of years ago and Clifford is obviously box office.

The Kerry county board are notoriously sticky about keeping gates high. The only county finals they allow to be shown are the ones involving the divisions.

Yeah I can’t remember TG4 ever showing an Intermediate club game other than the All-Ireland semi-finals and finals.

From another forum:

Laveys downfall has not been caused by one man, it has been caused by a power struggle between a small number of families all vying for control and status like something out of medieval Europe.

On one side you have the Downeys and on the other side you have the McGurks, propped up by their underling Mulholland.
The sad thing is that all men once stood shoulder to shoulder in Laveys glory days.

All have upcoming sons competing for places on the team which has no doubt fuelled envy and jealousy.

From speaking to people I know in Lavey last year’s antics have split friendships, torn apart families and left a dull grey cloud hanging over the current senior team.
It is sad for those involved and the pain is real.

And Lavey s downfall did not start last year either.
The dogs on the street know that within Lavey there are a small group of toxic players that have engineered the removal of at least 3 of their previous managers, all organised by their doting dads at the dinner table no doubt.

The following men all fell on their sword, all trying their best to bring their own club to the promised land:

Seamus Downey - Betrayed by his assistant manager and supposed friend and then faced a player revolt organised by that said friend. Disheartened, he took his sons and nephews away from a club he was instrumental in helping succeed on the pitch and off. His new club has just narrowly avoided relegation so there is nothing to sing about there. I would say that with the passage of time he will regret making this move. He may have had his faults, and a change was maybe needed, but there are better ways to remove a manager than a knife in the back.

Michael Hasson - A well-oiled operation similar to the CIA sponsored 1953 coup d’état that brought down the first, last and only democratically elected president of Iran ensured that he didn’t get to complete a full season with the club he stood in goals for all his adult life. Michael went onto win a championship with Moortown the following year.

John Brennan - Considered the Godfather of Derry football. Has won more Championships than Tiger Woods has mistresses. An elite highly trained brigade of TikTok sponsored Gen-Z Call of Duty battle hardened players led a charge to remove the most decorated manager in the history of Derry football. John went onto win a championship with Cargin the following year.

Has the penny dropped for you yet? Have you figured out the real problem?

The people I feel for are the good honest people of Lavey who next year will have to equip themselves with sat navs to navigate to unfamiliar clubs they have never encountered before.
And also, the current management, no doubt the vultures are circling and knives are getting sharpened as the blame game begins

It is a challenging time for Lavey , but perhaps unity and resilience will pave the way for brighter days ahead.

3 Likes

I’m going out on a limb here and saying the fella who wrote this may not be exactly neutral in the whole affair.

2 Likes

Sounds like Man U

The last thing you want to read on an issue like this is a neutral angle.

4 Likes

From reading that Seamus Downey is a serious fucking fanny

Who was the assistant manager?

I think they could make an exception for this intermediate game.

Austin Stacks have huge support much bigger than Castleisland, there was 3k at Fossa v Castelisland , this is a bumper gate for the kerry county board

A sedate weekend post picnic in Laois, as the Senior Hurling quarter finals take place. I dont see much surprises really. All shadow boxing before the semi finals in 2 weeks.

Abbeyleix should handle Rosenallis pretty easily you’d imagine. They’re a coming force and look to be settling nicely now at senior. With the Ballyroan lads now fully focused on the hurling as well it’ll be a big boost to them.

Clough Ballacolla have to be the favourites for the whole thing still, and should account for Castletown relatively easily. They’re just a step up on where Castletown are, and while Castletown are coming, they’ll need more reinforcements to take out a big gun yet. Incidentally, reminds me of this picture from last year. Proper windmilling.

Premier Intermediate quarter finals should see Clonaslee handle Rarthdowney Errills second team and Ballinakill should account for Clough Ballacollas second string. Still looking like Ballinakill Portlaoise showdown here.

In the Intermediate quarters Trumera should have enough for Abbeyleixs second string and Mountrath will be favourites to take out Clonad.

1 Like

If Fossa turn over Stacks this Sunday it will be one of the cliffords’ greatest feats. Taking into account Fossa’s rise as a small club and the fact Austin Stacks were in a Munster Senior final 2 years ago.

3 Likes

Ah it would be incredible. Can you imagine the aul bucks who set up Fossa in the 70’s dreaming of a day when they’d go toe to toe with the likes of Stacks. Fairytale stuff. Twould fucking sicken the likes of Sheehan too.

2 Likes

Ah come here mate, no big club games in September. Split season.

1 Like

I remember seeing a video last year on Clifford’s homecoming speech at the Stacks GAA club. He was slagging at one stage with the “here at the one in a row county champions”, trying to rise them. Be god he wasn’t wrong as it turned out.

It took a NCW man to relegate them