2023 Club Championships

Carlow vs Laois in OMP/NDCP or Cavan vs Meath in Breffni Park as a standalone 8pm Friday night fixture could be good. It isn’t going to impact numbers at club hurling training in KK or Tipp. It gives good exposure to counties who ain’t Tier 1. Games under lights take a life of their own too. Always seem to have more atmosphere than the equivalent daytime throw in.

4 Likes

I seem to remember a bit of controversy when those two teams played a Friday night qualifier back around 2013. Players weren’t happy that they’d have to go straight from work or take a half-day. Friday night lights are great this time of the year though for club championship. Particularly if it’s in a compact club pitch where there’s a good crowd gathered.

2 Likes

Limerick and Offaly played a Thursday night qualifier in Thurles 20 years ago. Apart from the novelty it was fairly rubbish (even discounting the fact we were beaten).

@Massey

Thoughts on you guys against SOH this weekend?

Only in Leitrim could you have temperatures hitting 30 degrees and then a match called off for a waterlogged pitch.

The rain before hand was biblical to be fair,I got fuckin soaked walking from Tesco’s car park to the stand even with an umbrella.The pitch was in shit from the lads warming up so I wasn’t surprised it was called off.On our chances tomorrow,not great.Our full back line is very weak and we concede too many goals.But if we can keep the ball up the other end we’ll do alright.We have the bones of a decent team(Maguire Rooney Hickey McNulty Evan Sweeney and Conor Dolan)but the rest is just filler.I was surprised we were as competitive against Mohill who only bate us by 2 even without Maguire who would have been marking Keith Beirne which would have been worth the entrance fee alone.Anyways I think SOH will have too much for us unless we get goals.Its Fenagh’s year all the same, everyone else is just making up the numbers.

1 Like

The Glen will have to start again if they want to make it to 100 years in a row as a senior club. 97 years of unbroken senior hurling ended tonight.

2 Likes

Ah lovely

Offaly and Kilcormac Killoughey coming like a train

As I suspected,3 killer goals in the second half for SOH and they could have had more.The introduction of the 2 McGovern’s at half time changed the match.

Just heard that on RTÉ there. Poor auld Hoggie has no luck. Savage result for Kanturk. I was also surprised to hear that a good few of the Imokilly boys played Intermediate hurling yesterday. 2 games in 2 days is poor enough scheduling by the Cork county board. They’ve been out of inter-county hurling since May and football since June.

When would you have scheduled the games pal?

Cork GAA will deliberately make no effort to facilitate the divisions. They have fuck all voice compared to the clubs

It was quarter final day in the Antrim SHC today with Dunloy and Cushendall already through to the semi finals. Runners up in Group 1 Loughgiel faced St Johns in Dunloy this evening. Watched it online and St Johns were septic. Missing a few players including big Domhnall Nugent they were toothless up front and had had no plan. Ended up 3.25 to 0.14. Loughgiel wont have learnt too much but they move the ball well as they have a lot of small nippy forwards. Their main man James McNaughton was relatively well held by St Johns so they will need him to step up in the semi final/

In the lunchtime match runners up in Group 2, Rossa faced my own club Ballycastle in Corrigan Park. Couldnt make it up for it and Rossa started well going into a 7.2 lead. Ballycastle came back with a late goal and ended up going in at ht 1.6 to 0.11 behind. Rossa kept their noses in front for most of the 2nd half but a run of Ballycastle scores late in the half put them up 1.16 to 0.16 in injury time. Rossa got a goal to level but Ballycastle got the next and final point to hold out for a one point win. Big win for a young team and back in the semi finals for the first time in 7 years. And thats without Ciaran Clarke who has been out injured all year.

I think the semi final line up is Cushendall vs Ballycastle and Dunloy vs L’giel. Cushendall and Dunloy will start as strong favourites.

7 Likes

Kilcoo are through to another semifinal in Down after beating league champions Carryduff 0.9-0.5. Carryduff led 4-2 at halftime but were already down to 14. It was 5-5 half way through the 2nd half but Carryduff then went down to 13. As unwatchable as the brief report makes it sound.

2 Likes

Marginal Geaneys

3 Likes

Watched it there. Dingle are a lovely team to watch. Dylan Geaney at 11 was a UCC player in recent years and will get a call. Conor Geaney got a great goal to win it.
Mark o Connor quiet enough I taught.
Would love to see them topple East Kerry.

Crokes play some lovely ball also.

You just know Bambury was the first lad subbed

To update on this, the losing quarter finalists so far this week in the Down senior championship have scored 0-5, 0-5, & 1-3. The last quarterfinal is tomorrow and involves a Stephen Poacher coached side - I might just start going to Bob Radcliffe cup games instead.

Some going, they only won the club championship last weekend so hardly had ideal prep.

Congrats on the win today. Good mate of mine came on for ye today. He was saying there were great celebrations.