2023 Club Championships

It has a bit going for it alright , often offers more than the county senior football championship where all the divisional teams offer no passion or parish pride

The football folk in kerry even tend to drift in the attend the club hurling matches

Kilmoyley winning the munster intermediate hurling championship in 2021 was a boost for the competition too

4 Likes

There must be no one left in Cork - fucking split season playing havoc with the challenge match circuit.

Who are the favourites this year?

Usuals in Kilmoyley, Causeway? Ballyduff as an outside bet?

It is absolutely wide open

Kilmoyley are not as strong as when they won the Munster intermediate club in 2021 but feel they could pull off another one. John Meyler is still over them and will have them primed, he has some record with Kilmoyley. They also have a special talent in Robert Monohan coming back to them after the leaving cert and spending the early part of the year with the kerry under 20 footballers.

Causeway are defending champions and have shared out the last 4 senior titles with Kilmoyley ( 2 each). Kilmoyley beat them in a round robin match 2 weeks ago by 8 points but Causeway shot 17 wides, Causeway beat St Brendans Ardfert last week so they are back in the mix

Ballyduff havent won since 2017 which is near famine by their standards and determined to get back top of the roll of honour, Kilmoyley lead them by one, lost the senior final last year and have had a load of minor winning teams in recent years so only a matter of time before they win it again

Crotta havent won it since 1968 but huge success at minor and under 20\21 recently and have their best team now since 1968 , good outside bet, Abbeydorney havent won it since 1974 but have won the 2023 county league and north kerry titles and have some lad from Clare over them ( Brian Kennedy) who they seem to be really happy with so there is optimism in that camp

Lixnaw were given no chance at the start of the year but now teams are wary of them, they have got a bounce since Barry Hennessy took over and are said to have massive numbers training and if Shane Conways catches fire, well then you couldnt rule them either

To be honest I have no clue who ll win it!

It is the most open championship in a long time

Abbeydorney and Crotta have a massive hunger for success after decades starved of it, there is a bit of a feeling around that maybe it might just be their year

3 Likes

I’d go Ballyduff or Kilmoyley. As Kerry says Abbeydorney are flying. But they are a bit like Mayo. Never had it in them to get over the line.
It would be great for Kerry hurling if either them or Crotta could get over the line. But I think the two of them would have to meet in the final for one to win. Otherwise they’ll be turned over.

There’s a puck of the ball between the six who’ll qualify. But you’d back the old dogs for the hard road

If Crotta or Abbeydorney were to win in Julio, it would be one belter of a session for whoever was victorious

An abbeydorney v crotta final would be some carnival atmosphere final actually! be a bumper gate for the county board

I’d go to the homecoming of that myself :joy:

Dick Spring will be backing Crotta anyway

homepage.tinet.ie/~abbeydorney/book/crotta.html

1979 was a great year for Dick, capped for Ireland and a county senior hurling final with Crotta

But it all turned sour in Cardiff Arms Parks and Austin Stack Park was no better, Causeway struck a last minute goal to deny Dick his medal when it seemed Crotta were over the line

The old stagers say Spring wasnt far off man of the match that day in Tralee so it wasnt as bad as Cardiff Arms Park for him where if memory serves me right, Dick had a disaster

same here!

The rivalry is massive craic, takes less than an hour to travel between 8 of the 9 clubs.

Pity it’s ran off so early. Surely could play final in September?

final is the august weekend

the county board just want it out of the way, to clear the way for the county club football championship and then the county senior football championship. Both have gone to round robin format so puts the squeeze on the calendar, hurling suffers

Kilmoyley’s best hurler in the 2021 county championship was Barry Dan O’Sullivan who on the kerry football panel this year. From Dingle but has dabbled in hurling a bit over the years with Kilmoyley from time to time at under age and adult. No option for him to play hurling in 2022 as the hurling is ran off while kerry are in the football

St Mullins gave Ballinkillen a good trimming 3-18 to 1-11. I can’t see Ballinkillen challenging as strongly this year. I reckon they’ll be duking it out with Myshall for the 4th semi-final spot.

70% of the lads playing would have gone to secondary school together in Causeway. Causeway and Ballyduff and Kilmoyley and Ardfert are both the same parish.
They all border each other. Tis a mental little pocket

You’re confident Kerry won’t be out this weekend

Kerry senior football is soulless compared to the hurling. Divisional teams bring no colour or atmosphere.

Kerry seem to have a good county league.

I rate that match as 50\50

Not impossible Kilmoyley could have the Dingle man in the hurling yet

I thought it was pretty shitty last year . the way the county board on the county league division 1 football league final on a saturday night with Dingle playing and the county hurling semi final the following meaning the lad had to double up. both matches went to extra time!

the kerry senior football championship is often soulless . some exceptions like when Austin Stacks go on a run and like when they met Kerins ORahillys in a tralee derby county final 2 years ago

I was a double header about 15 years ago , divisional teams Mid Kerry v West Kerry football QF which was a curtain raiser to a Kilmoyley v Ballyduff county hurling semi final

The football was soulless, hardly a cheer and the hurling was epic with a big crowd along with all hell breaking loose! a stranger to GAA would have assumed kerry was a hurling county

1 Like

https://twitter.com/HurlingSevens/status/1674749233428086786?t=v6dIiPKEtj2tU0Evu5fG4g&s=19

Interesting mix of clubs/counties