2023 Club Championships

Sounds like a Pitcher from a Kevin Costner baseball movie .

1 Like

Cole Trickle was right there. Right there.

A bit of a ā€˜down weekā€™ this week on the Club scene it must be said.

No game on RTE tomorrow and the Leitrim and Meath football finals on TG4 on Sunday. Someone should be held accountable for this.

Barely a hurling game of note on across the country.

On the Football side, i fear tomorrow could be the end of the road for @Bandage beloved Raheny. Kilmacud Crokes* will grind them down. I hope Judes do it on Sunday. Thereā€™s something very anaemic about Boden. Especially their kit. Judes have lovely jerseys and have the backing of one of Camden Streetā€™s finest cathedrals.

Derry finally goes knockout this week after an interminable round robin. The best Club team in the land, Watty Grahamā€™s Glen, should hand out a serious pasting to Kilrea. Theyā€™ve been building nicely over the six game, group phase and their spine is ridiculously strong now with the Prodigal Son back in at centre back. Last years number 6, Warnock (i think @Fat_Pox was a big fan) has been relegated to corner back)

Tie of the weekend is probably in Galway where its a repeat of last years final. Iā€™ll defer to @Diabhal as to how Maigh Cuilen v Salthill Knocknacarra will turn out.

2 Likes

I think those posh cunts have dropped off significantly after bottling the final last year, especially losing to the almighty CLG Bearna. Iā€™d have Moycullen by 5+ in a match where I wish both could be knocked out.

3 Likes

Yes their fall from grace has manifested itself spectacularly by their tumble down the POWER RANKINGS.

Iā€™d fancy Maigh Cuillen to go all the way to Croke Park again this year.

Moycullen had a few players carrying injuries in 2022 so they should win Connacht handy enough unless the peopleā€™s team Mountbellya Moylough can triumph over evil.

1 Like

Mountbellya had their shot at it and poor old Jerome Henry messed it up for them.

1 Like

Folk closing in on the Rossie border have elephant-like memories when it comes to being wronged. That bitterness could make up for Mike Daly missing nearly 3 years of competitive action. I donā€™t think Corofin or Milltown are capable of besting Cookie and the gang.

2 Likes

MM seem to be struggling themselves

They blew their load pissing through the groups before so itā€™s probably an element of holding back a bit for the knockouts. Thereā€™s a big gap between Moycullen and the rest though.

1 Like

Moycullen would be the peopleā€™s team this side :smiley: fuck Mountbellya

Clare semi finals on this weekend:

Clonlara favourites to beat Feakle.
Scariff marginal favourites to beat Crusheen.

Scariff v Feakle would be a real throwback final, two teams that were intermediate not so long ago.

Interesting that the fruits of the Tulla Harty cup winning team is coming to the fore.

Tulla also still in the intermediate championship. Itā€™s a template so many clubs in rural areas like Tulla (and Cashel) really need to focus in on.

1 Like

Mountbellya thought they were going to knock Corofin back on their arses for 10 years heading into last years QF. (Corofin were missing Silke & Molloy). Instead they fell over the line by a point and got humiliated then by Moycullen in the Semi final.

Maybe they havenā€™t got over it.

Whatā€™s the story with Patrick Kelly?

He seemed to have eternally aggravated whatever injury he had in April. He was a big loss this for county.

Seems to suffer with back injuries alright. Big loss to club and county

1 Like

I think Mike Daly had a bad back that forced him to drop out of the panel pre-Covid. I think heā€™s had subsequent injuries since that have probably ended his intercounty career.

1 Like

Another serious talent lost.

Donegal semi finals tomorrow.

Gaoth Dobhair v McCumhaills
Naomh Conaill v St Eunans.

Should be two serious battles.

1 Like