2023 Club Championships

But surely they could be moved if there was a real will to get it.

I think it had been flagged a long way out that they would take a Limerick semi-final on this weekend, regardless of what other matches were on.

Absolutely. I think a lot of county boards are indifferent at best around having games televised.

Slightly different in Limerickā€™s case but hard to understand why the fixtures werenā€™t just switched.

Iā€™ll throw up a preview of the Dublin semi finals in a bit.

@peddlerscross @endakenny @StoneCold to do Tipp?
@Lazarus @gaillimhmick or any other gaillaimhs to do Galway
@Cornerback to do Offaly
@Malarkey for KK
@Glentaisie for Antrim
There are a few ex-pats living in Kildare.

I would be great if other posters could do the same for their counties like the great @Aristotle does for Limerick.

Its a pity we have no one from Cork on TFK who knows anything about hurling to give a preview there

15 Likes

Iā€™m delighted to hear Iā€™ve inspired you mate

1 Like

Indeed. Though if anyone says a team ā€œsmokedā€ anyone in these previews they should be banned ā€¦

4 Likes

You smoked me there

The semi finals of the Dublin SHC take place this coming Sunday in the nations most used county ground Parnell Park. The quarter final games which resulted in the elimination of Kilmacud Crokes and Cuala has brought a freshness about the games on Sunday. The afforementioned had won 8 of the previous 9 finals and youā€™d need a good trawl in the record books to find out the last time both missed out on the semi finals.

The first semi is a meeting of St Vincents and Ballyboden St Endas. Vincents have had an excellent championship so far under the stewardship of Pat Gilroy and his sidekick Niall Moyna. They topped their round robin group by virtue of score difference in a three way tie thus earning a bye at the QF stage. It will be interesting to see how they have managed the 4 week break. John ā€œHedgoā€ Hetherton at full forward had been their talisman at full forward putting up big scores every day. He is a massive unit with smashing wrists who just lacks the wheels for IC. They play Dublin centre back Conor Burke at 11. He played all his underage hurling there. The two McBrides, Rian and Darach are also in the forwards after returning from the states and are serious operators at this level. Their defense without any big names have been solid if not spectacular this year so far. The standout for me there is corner back Brian Moorehouse Carroll. He was a starter on the Dublin 20s and has very efficently shut down a lot of opposition star men so far this year. Heā€™s a lad that should be called into the seniors IMO.

Ballyboden finished second in their group and disposed of Cuala by a 6 point margin in the quarter finals. I donā€™t really know how much of that win was down to their quality or the paucity of the same in Cuala. Boden were ahead by 10 points after 20 minutes and kept them at arms length easily from there. It has been alluded to that Boden are a bit of a Dads army team, however they are the only team left in the competition with the experience of winning it. They are no doubt aware of that and will use it to their advantage. They rely heavily on old guard of Simon Lambert at 6, Shane Durkin in mf, Conor Dooley at wf, Paul Ryan at 11 and Niall McMorrow at 14. Their first sub every day is Timmy Hammersley.All of those named are good hurlers but closer to 35 than 30. They are also bellweathers for the team. Dublin panellists James Madden in defence and Aidan Mellett in midfield offer quality as well.

These two teams met in the group stages with Boden coming out on top 1-23 to 3-13. Vincents got off to a big start that day going 7 points in front with Hedgo banging 2-2 in the opening quarter. Boden quickly steadied the ship and managed to go in ahead at half time thanks to a Paul Ryan goal. They managed the win from there. The McBrides were missing that day and bring pace, quality and a bit of madness to the forward line. That madness could range from a wonder goal to a first minute straight red card. To me this game will come down to the influence of Hedgo. I also think Conor Burke is needed further back the field. On form both make Vincents tick. I think Boden will have enough to manage them and enough nous and experience at the business end of championships to get to the final.

The second semi is the meeting of Lucan and Na Fianna. Lucan are the only unbeaten team in the championship left. They topped their group easily after a surprising win over Kilmacud on their first day out. They played their last game six weeks ago. This is due to the peculiar 5 team round robin system. They had a bye for the final round of group fixtures and a bye again at the QF stage by virtue of topping their group. They are managed by Charlie Carter who kept them busy during their six week competitive game hiatus by going on the famous BOICMC. They picked up big wins here over Mount Leinster Rangers and Dunloy. The big bonus for them in this period is the return of Chris Crummy from his travels. He is without doubt their talisman and will bolster their chances. Chrisā€™s brother Paul has been their go to man in championship so far. A big physical specimen which pace and workrate. He has scored heavily from play so far in championship. They also have Cork import and Dublin senior Chris O Leary in their forward line. Charlie Keher is a tidy inside foward who has a had a good championship so far also. Ben Coffey is another forward scoring well. He is well bred with his grandfather beinh Flor Coffey of Boherlahan who won two all Irelandā€™s with Tipp in the 40s. While Kilmacud have domimated underage in Dublin in recent years, Lucan are firmly in second place and the fruit of that work is coming to the senior team. They have two Walshs at midfield who are tidy operators and a young Sean Harkness fella who is only 18 and given the job on the frees. Dublins Leinster winning captain of 2013 Johnny McCaffrey is at 6 while Dublin panelists Johnny Bellew and Ronan Smith are in the full back line.

Na Fianna qualified for the semi final by virtue of killing the big bad wolf (Kilmacud Crokes) who were going for three in a row. They had lost to them in the two previous county finals so I suppose on the balance of three close games they were due a win. They are without their talisman and all star nominee Donal Burke. He got injured with Dublin in the QF vs Clare and is not expected to be fit until the new year. In his absence others have stood up to the plate. No less than his brothers Sean and Kevin in defence and the Currie brothers and AJ Murphy up front. Liam Rushe was introduced early as a sub the last day after returning from his travels and will surely start this time round. The win over Crokes may have come at a cost though. It was a hugely physical game with players leaving the field injured on both sides. That day they lost full back and dual player Conor McHugh as well as their hightower half forwards Shane Barrett and John Tierney.

Both sides here will see this as a huge chance to make a final. Lucan only ever played on one final, 2013, losing to BBSE. Na Fiannas only final appearances have been in the last two years, losing both. The returning Chris Crummy is a huge boost for Lucan. I really couldnā€™t make a call on this game until I see what Na Fianna team take the field after the injuries from the last day.

Both games are available to watch on Dubs TV youtube at 2pm and 4pm. Alternatively capital based posters could attend the fixtures in Parnell Park and also take in a pint and cultural tour of Craobh Chiarains clubhouse pre or post game.

14 Likes

Has Dermo Connolly made any impact with hurlers ? Be interesting to see what the break has done for Vinnies . 30 years since they won it , Gilroy is obviously going all out to win this .always a risk with Vincents , theyā€™ll either shoot the lights out or get so wound up and have a few lads sent off .

1 Like

He has started every game at 13 so far i think. Saw him in three games. Touches of class still there without putting it on the scoreboard. He has been left on in games despite other better players being taken off.

Edit @Bisto

Iā€™ve just remembered he got sent off in their group game vs OPER. A straight red for an altercation with Cian Boland. Leopards,spotsā€¦It wasnā€™t caught on camera. He didnt start their last group game as a result.

1 Like

Is that The Boars Head @peddlerscross ?

Yeah Summerhill took over the Boars Head for their Monday or Tuesday club. Saw a good few videos of their celebrations online. 10 years since theyā€™d won senior which isnā€™t a huge length of time but they were celebrating like they hadnā€™t won in generations.

1 Like

They seem an incredibly bitter bunch.

What evidence is there of that

Not in a narky way, Iā€™m genuinely curious.

Tipp SHC final takes place this Sunday in the Field of Legends, Staid Semple, Thurles.

From the outset, there was only 3 teams that looked most likely to win this championship in Loughmore, Sars and Kiladangan. Loughmore are down too many players from 2021 and have miles on the clock so its the top 2 in the final.

Sars go into this as 8/13 favourites and have been unbeaten all year winning a Mid final barring their group loss to Kiladangan. They were well beaten on that day but there is an asterisks beside it as Ronan Maher was sick whilst James Armstrong and Seanie Butler have come up from their B team and strengthened their side.
They have a huge depth all over the pitch with Eoin Purcell, Conor Lanigan and Paddy Creedon coming off the bench. Creedon has been touted as a Tipp senior but was dropped by head coach Paudie Maher following a weekend in EP. No other club in Tipperary could afford to leave him on the sideline. The sheer weight of quality hurlers is underlined when their B team is in the premier intermediate final (17th best team in Tipp).
Others to impress this year include Paul Maher at corner back, Stephen Cahill in midfield and Darragh Stakelum (brother of Conor) who will be in with Tipp next year.

Kiladangan have without doubt been the most consistent side over the last half decade but only one title which was slightly tainted due to it being during the Covid year.
Much of their golden generation is late 20s/early 30s and although they will continue to be a good senior team no matter what, the years to put a string of together may be running out.

They have extra motivation this year with Barry hogan being their only senior panellist and he ended up losing his starting place. Players like Alan & Paul Flynn are definitely in the top 35 in the county but were dropped unceremoniously by Cahill. Younger players like Billy Seymour and Sean Hayes failed to get the call either.

They have the second strongest squad in the county shown by former county senior Willie Connors not slotting back into the starting team.
Decky McGrath is a classy wing back I really like.
They tend to hurl in patches, excellent for 10 minutes where they clock up 8 shots and 0-6 but asleep for 10 where they give up their lead.

There are a number of key battles dotted around the pitch but the biggest is likely to be how Kiladangan attempt to negate Ronan Maher.
Maher sits very deep at 6 for Sarsfields whilst his direct opponent Billy Seymour plays almost as a third midfielder for Kiladangan. Seymour has been back to his best form notching up 0-4 per game mainly from long distance shots but itā€™s a risky combination leaving Ronan Maher on his own as he can limit the inside line and clear deliveries 60-100 yards.

Midfield is another vital sector and whoever scores more in the battle of Stephen Cahill v Tadgh Gallagher will be a big win.

I have ante post bets on both these teams to win Munster as I fancy both at home to the Clare champions but bullet to the head I think Sars have been more consistent overall this year so Iā€™ll give them the nod.
Should be one of the best standard finals in recent seasons.

5 Likes

Theyā€™re all week having pops off people on twitter.

They must have had one or two bad defeats. Itā€™s strange behaviour all the same.

The club account is it?

Meath men bitter?

Well I fuckin never

1 Like

Soke excellent work done here by @Fat_Pox and @endakenny

I found myself nodding in agreement on the Tipp Final.

I wonder could we get @glenshane to make a similar effort at the big Parish Derby in Ownbeg on Sunday night?

1 Like

Itā€™d mean going out in public and talking to people? Real people, not Internet ones. Im not sure Iā€™m ready.

2 Likes