2023 Club Championships

You should go down to Regans in Maghera and soak it up.

Few teams not used to winning counties get like this when they win one. I remember Ballymun doing same around 2012 I think after beating Brigids.
Summerhill were always a nasty club back in the day and prob delighted in taking down mini Dub outfit Ratoath.

Brilliant preview @Fat_Pox - Vinnies very reliant on Hedgo and I’d say Boden will double mark/timber him. Me man in Marino tells me the floodlights are on the go 3 mornings a week so Postman Pat can get his sessions in. Think na fianna will close it out myself

2 Likes

Hard to see doon troubling nap in Limerick but I reckon the well can take down the balbec on Sunday.

Bernard has me barred

1 Like

@Keadyshouldhaveplayedin89 is your man

1 Like

I’d say you’d have gone missing a fair bit in the Bermuda Triangle there between Regans Bar, the chipper down the street and Rainey’s Bookies across the road.

Only ever been in regans. Ive always thought maghera was a tragic sad sort of a town. A bit rough, no real pride or sense of community in meetinghouse etc, and a school that had more associations with the surrounding clubs in south derry. I’ve lost touch with the few lads i knew in glen, hopefully the club success will give the town a lift

2 Likes

Couldn’t see either doing much in Munster. Unlike football when you get out of the county proper top class players generally make the difference in Munster and All Ireland club and both lack those

Is the Kilkenny Hurling championship final fixed for the 30th of October? I know the semi finals are this weekend.

Its only the Clare Champions who wont be Ballyea in the Semi Final at Semple Stadium which is very winnable, but neither would get within 10 points of Ballygunner/Na Piarsaigh in the final.

Speaking of which Ballygunner only stumbled past Mount Leinster Rangers on the BOICMC last night. Some sources say BG went full whack but Gaultier have football at the weekend so maybe some had one eye on that.

In any case, BG beat St. Mullins by over 20 points in the corresponding fixture (Club Hurlings Calcutta Cup) last year so MLR must be going well.

4 Likes

Any word on Gorey’s participation on the BOICMC given the Wexford championship finished a couple of decades ago?

I heard they were turning down a few Challenges a while back because maybe they were kicking football?

There really should be a Tri Nations effort amongst the Waterford/Carlow/Wexford Champions between County Finals and Provincial Club. They could even play each other home & away they’ve so much time for running it off.

SETU or UPMC could sponsor it.

2 Likes

I think Kiladangan will do it; in reality they left it behind them last year and the form book shows it since. They have the physicality to match Sars and the experience not to be fazed by any Sars run on them. The one thing that could cost them is their temperament; they have a tendency to get mouthy at each other or at BDE on the sideline.

All things being equal neither side would be the most popular winner.

1 Like

The previews, updates and reports of club matches on here is better than you’d get from most local and national media outlets. Fair play. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great weekend of club hurling ahead all over the country.

10 Likes

Kildangans unpopularity is strange given the fact they’ve only won one county final. BDEs antics on the sideline over the years have done them no favours. Equally so is their lack of contribution of star/solid players to the county team.

Well and Kilmallock is mouth watering. I might head in.

Kilmallock far more evenly balanced, but the Well have three of the best hurlers in the World. They’ll need the Lynchy-Gillane axis to do untold. And sure we know well they can.

Hard to know where either side are really at, lot of shadow boxing so far.

The Well have only been doing just enough. Narrow losses to Kilmallock and Doon and a narrow win over Ahane. Wouldn’t inspire confidence.
Kilmallock have the form in the book, and have shown consistency over the years in a way the Well certainlty have not. But you’d reckon if the three Well boys really wanted this, and turn it on, then they could carry them through.
Kilmallocks fullback line is a potential achilles heal.
Will Costello drop back for Gillane? But if they put him full it means a total rejig. If not is it Gillane vs Joy. He’ll clean anyone I suppose if he really wants. Only a matter of trying to cut the supply and limit the damage.

I’ll give a tentative nod to the Well.

Doon NAP will likely be close for 40 mins until NAP pull away.

I’m no fan of double headers, but county semi final day is made for a double header. Pity

7 Likes

We can’t afford to miss too many frees.

But our six forwards are decent. Muł, Gavin, the Bull, Oisin, Houla, Robbie Egan, Chanley. Not sure if David Woulfe is available.

They’re sprucing things up for the party

2 Likes

Will Chanley start? Lynchey Vs Chanley in the battle of the wrists

Yeah Gorey are in the Intermediate football final against Cushinstown this weekend. They could be in a unique position of playing Leinster football and hurling championships in quick succession. A kind of Loughmore 2021 lite considering one is Intermediate. The Doyle’s, McGukian, Cian O’ Tuama, Patsy Molloy and Cathal Dunbar all dual stars between two teams.
David Drakes brother has transferred from Ballaghaderreen too.

Chris Nolan got a straight red card against Bagenalstown in the final group game of the football. They subsequently lost the quarter-final to Eire Óg so he only served a 1 game suspension but I presume he’ll be available again for Leinster against the Kilkenny champions.