2023 Club Championships

Trillick are into the Tyrone SFC final. They’ve beaten Dungannon Clarkes 2-11 to 1-9.

They’ve come a long way since stumbling over lowly Loughmacrory in a penalty competition in the first round.

2 Likes

Cushendall and Loughgiel face off in the Antrim SHC final in Corrigan Park on Sunday at 2.30.

Cushendall cruised through the group stages including a 4.22 to 0.19 win over Loughgiel in the final group game. Both teams were already through but with Neil McManus scoring 4.9 they gave Loughgiel a pasting and a lot of people had written off Loughgiel for the year. Cushendall struggled in the first half of the semi-final against Ballycastle but Ballycastle gifted Cushendall 2 goals and they had an undeserved half time lead. However, against the breeze in the 2nd half Cushendall were dominant. With Eoghan Campbell and Scott Walsh from the half back line bombing forward they were able to carry the ball into the Ballycastle half of the pitch. Ryan McCambridge won a lot of ball in midfield so they had the platform to feed their forwards. McManus got a goal in the 2nd half but their young corner forward Joe McLaughlin got the other 3 goals so they have another threat up front other than McManus.

As mentioned already after the 15 point group stage defeat to Cushendall, lots of people were writing Loughgiel off for the year. But they had the perfect opposition in the quarter final to help them get over that loss, a depleted and poor St Johns team. Loughgiel won handy but of course that was that, as they were facing the 5 in a row chasing Dunloy in the semi-final. Dunloy who had also progressed to the SFC final were leggy and not at the races at all in the semi-final. But they had to be put away and Loughgiel obliged. Loughgiel have won 4 minor titles in a row (going for 5 in a row on Saturday vs Dunloy) and 5 from that group started vs Dunloy and another 2 came on as subs. They will be a force in a couple of years but the young lads hadn’t shown anything at senior level until the semi-final. Apart from O’Connell in nets and Coyle at corner back they are a young team and rely a lot on James McNaughton.

We all know the one about how you have to lose one to win one so that could be the case for Loughgiel on Sunday. Throw in McManus retiring from the county scene (he is the media darling of Antrim hurling now) and all his focus on the club there is a feeling that Cushendall are on a mission this year. They have a strong defence and are well able to carry the ball up the field. Loughgiel though have a history of springing surprises, one of their most famous was when they ambushed the great Ballycastle team of my youth scoring 4 goals in the first half of the county final of 1982. They won well and of course the fuckers went on to win the All Ireland in 1983 which they happen to be celebrating at a gala dinner next month……….cunts! Anyway im going for a Cushendall win on Sunday, just too much experience for them I think plus it might ruin the 40 year gala dinner a bit
:grinning:

8 Likes

Great preview.

Do Loughgeil have any of their 2011-2014 teams still knocking about?

I was a big fan of those McCloskeys and Gillen the corner back.

I think the only ones left would be Dan McCloskey, Chrissy O’Connell and Tiernan Coyle who would have been subs in the 2010 to 2013 team. I think McCloskey came on as a sub in the AI Final vs Coolderry.

1 Like

I only said this in jest, but it seems to be true

1 Like

The most knowledgable poster on Cork club hurling is in Asia

1 Like

I’d expect Tommy’s and loughrea to progress in Galway, and I’ve felt since last year that loughrea will win it out this year.

Spoke to a Thomas’s man during the week and he was very wary of Sars. The same man is usually bullish and confident. He said David Burke won’t be back for the county championship unless there are a few replays/appeals which could easily happen.

Midleton/Sars a 50/50 game, two ineffectual middle class teams and I doubt anyone back home gives a shit about the game. Midleton are down their full-back. Neither team will do anything in Munster.

1 Like

Who would you call to win it?

Adam English is magic

Decent game this

Casey acting the right woman there

Doon hurling NAP off the field and only level, English is going to be a star.

Soft goal for NAP finishes any chance Doon had here.

I wouldn’t rule Doon out yet.

They are playing well, have a wind behind them now and Na Piarsaigh seem flat as fuck.

Any sign of Davy?

No.

Downes should have been off there.

1 Like

Surely a straight red that.

NAP gassing?