2023 Club Championships

Glen up 0-03 to 0-02.

Some edge to it. Slaughtneil throwing everything at it.

1 Like

Glen Maghera fail to score in the last 20 mins but fall over the line. Two Hollywood points from Hercules early in the second half ultimately the difference.

Slaughtneil won’t sleep a wink after that.

I have been saying the same thing for years. Cork should be using Pairc UI Rinn for club games, Limerick should do up Kilmalock and do the same.

2 Likes

By god a New Jersey design at last

1 Like

A nice afternoon of eventful but not real quality hurling in Parnell Park this afternoon for the Dublin senior hurling semi finals.

The first game of the afternoon was a real slow boil but had an ending that will not be forgotten in a while. Vins got off to a good start with a well finished Rian McBride goal. It was the only goal of the whole day. The first half was poor enough with a very crowded middle 3rd. Vins had a ferocious workrate and this negated the tidy stickmen from Boden. Boden got their first point from play 21 mins in and held a narrow lead at half time of 0-8 to 1-4. The McBrides were a real handful up front for Vins but their talisman of previous rounds Hedgo was having an off day from play and frees. The 2nd half was tit for tat. Low in quality hurling but high in physicality and honesty of effort. Boden were keeping their noses in front but Vins got the last three points of the half to force extra time. The equalizer was scored by 2nd half sub Diarmuid Connolly. His brother Tomo was probably their best player in that half.

Boden got their noses ahead again in extra time. Timmy Hammersley was on now for them and hit some great long range frees. Going into injury time in the 2nd half of ET Boden held a two point lead. Diarmuid Connolly had recieved his marching orders at this point. Big Hedgo got on the end of a move and barrelled towards the goal. His batted effort dribbled wide as Boden defenders hung off him. The umpire waved it wide and then chaos ensued with pushing, shoving, roaring and gesticulating. A long discussion between the ref and umpires went on before a penalty was awarded. Tomo Connolly stood up to it and drilled a mid height effort to Boden keeper Conor O Donoghues right. A flying save by O Donoghue kept it out and the final whistle blew with Boden coming out the right side of a 0-24 to 1-19 scoreline.

The second semi was similar to the first. Full of the tension and nervousness that semi finals bring. This had a knock on effect on the quality. Na Fianna got off to a quick start and went 9 points to 1 up after 20 mins. This was where the game was ultimately won. The six week gap without a competitive game obviously impacting on Lucan. Na Fiannas main men in this period were Aj Murphy, Sean Currie and Kevin Burke. Lucan got their way back into the game in the period before half time through frees and some poor Na Fianna play. Na Fianna led by 4 at the break 10 points to 6.

The second half played out similarly. Lucan pushed Chris Crummy into attack but they lacked the forward quality to ever come closer than 2 points. Na Fianna saw it out on a score of 0-18 to 0-14.

I’ll throw up a final preview on the week before it.

8 Likes

The vins penalty hit the post rather that the keeper saving it i think pal.

Thanks. Just looked back at the Dubs TV coverage and it did. Also it was Conor Burke dragged down and not Hedgo. I was at the far end of the field. Time to go to specsavers.

2 Likes

I love this Tweet from Fintan every Monday.

Mad though how RTE wont be in Salthill on Saturday for the big one there.

Crokes v Boden has all The ingredients to be a classic .

1 Like

I cant warm to Boden at all.

I’m not sure if its the jerseys or what but they leave me feeling cold or something. Whenever they go into Leinster they just bring nothing to proceedings.

At least Crokes* are the pantomine villains and deep down everyone wants another showdown between them and Glen.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/OfficialDownGAA/status/1713908618767056996/photo/1

Do these Northern teams ever want to play and win a game on the pitch? They love a good officialdom.

5 Likes

Kilcoo should be fucked out of the championship. Easily solved

3 Likes

Easy to say, and obviously Kilcoo’s behaviour is absolutely awful with the threatening phone calls etc.

Their original argument for objecting is that the original referee had openly spoken of ‘doing’ Kilcoo out of the game.

As opposed to Kilmacud Crokes* way of going about their business?

1 Like

Terrible carry on. They won’t get much luck for their antics there. It’s hard enough to attract and retain refs as it is, deplorable behaviour.

1 Like

For a rural club team to be able to take something like it to the DRA was some show of their Financial muscle, but they might need to invest in a better Legal Team.

It’s easy fire around threatening phone calls when the local brigade have your back; they haven’t gone away you know

We stood up to the Northern threats and intimidation. This poor ref wasn’t in a position to do so.

2 Likes

You’re definitely more drawn to the hate filled winter Ulster club championship turgid wars of attrition.