2023 Club Championships

I think @Watchthepost might be mixing up Glenullin who won the Derry Intermediate Championship yesterday with Glen Maghera. The Bradley brothers from Glenullin look well on it.

Having said that it would be great if someone at the Watty Graham’s Monday Club called out Kilcoo or Kilmacud Crokes*.

Cahair already turning up the heat.

https://twitter.com/CahairOKane1/status/1719026907566461283?t=_nKVVqP_5h05AEf3BknQhA&s=19

Delighted for yous @binkybarnes, I’d know a few of the parents of players involved in recent years and it’s been a while coming but hopefully worth it in the end. Enjoy!

2 Likes

TG4 pay for each match.

1 Like

Thanks a million. A special couple of days.

9 Likes

Seemed to be a nice bit of sledging and bite between Blessington and Rathnew yesterday; maybe @Aertel220 could tell us if there is a history between these two?

They’re not close geographically anyway. I think there were some shenanigans after the drawn game last week and having played Rathnew once in a practice match I can confirm that they are hardy bastards who wouldn’t leave their place back in a row. Something which can also be said of their sister hurling club Glenhealy. Both Rathnew and Glenhealy had infamous scraps with Carnew between football and hurling during the 00’s.

Blessington hadn’t won since 1983 before the breakthrough in 2019 and Rathnew were dominant before 2017 but I’d doubt there was much crossover in terms of bitter rivalry.

1 Like

You wouldn’t get insight like this anywhere.

TBH, I haven’t heard much about Wicklow club football except it was pretty dangerous when Baltinglass were dominant back in the early 90s.

1 Like

Yeah it’s reffed differently up there. A tougher brand of football. Although they don’t seem to accrue red cards at inter-county in the same way that Laois hurlers do when coming from a similar club scene. Baltinglass didn’t even make it out of the new 6 team groups this year surprisingly. It was an extremely open championship but the general standard was poor and I’d be surprised if Blessington even beat the Louth champions Ardee.

We can add this blessington v rathnew rivalry to the The games where main flashpoints occur - Rathnew and baltinglass , rathnew v St. pats , rathnew and carnew…

2 Likes

Kilcoole and Carnew U15 game a couple of years ago too. The infamous Annacurra v Blessington U21 game where the ref got locked in the boot in the 1980’s also.

1 Like

Any idea how much? Presuming the County board think they’d get more income from the subs to the 15 euro stream than whatever tg4 would pay.

I think it’s €10,000 for a county final.

1 Like

You’re actually right🤣

1 Like

That’s just Rathnew. It’s their MO.

1 Like

Rathnew Pat’s is a very bitter one. They are the same parish and Wicklow town has more or less expanded into Rathnew, will have done so completely within a decade I’d say. They absolutely hate each other.

1 Like

It will most likely be a soulless and dull occasion , I predict that approx 5 supporters will bring a flag to the final

Only for the Cliffords as a crowd puller, the football final would not beat the kerry hurling final attendance which was approx 5k

The crowds at club games this year in general across the country have been appalling .

Only Ulster can save us. Tyrone looked a great crowd, but the Glen v Magherafelt crowd almost halved on 4 years ago when the same clubs met in the final.

1 Like

When teams visiting the grounds refer to them as ‘Galatasary’, you know what to expect.

3 Likes

Should be a cracking Munster club football championship for a change. Dingle, Clonmel and Castlehaven all play exciting football.

1 Like

Would Cratloe be good?