2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Those Tipp Clare games were just something else.
The terraces wedged and just bounced.
Even though we were beaten more often than not the occasions were spectacular. PUC for all the shite lads said about it was a brilliant terrace and the atmosphere on sunny days was unrale

To be fair the crowds mixed okay afterwards but back then it was just drink. These days lads are drinking & coked to the clouds.

2 Likes

The best new change the gaa has made is no crowds
On the field post game.

It’s great to watch the jubilation and the devastation of both teams at the full time whistle.

2 Likes

It’s best to let teams get home. You’re travelling all day Monday and then facing into a week of madness.

The Sunday night thing in Dublin is finished. Nobody watches the Sunday game anymore either.

Let the players get on with it.

I’m fairly sure your one Caroline Currid was preaching to them to maintain their normal lives as much as possible coming into big games. Don’t change
Things because of the game.

Wasn’t it Tom Morrissey who was playing headers and volleys the night before games to keep himself focused.

It’s not a full fat All-Ireland without a banquet in the Burlo, or at least the Grand Hotel Malahide.

Each county also needs a dedicated Monday mid-morning to lunchtime session pub in Dublin in the way that Tipp has The Palace.

The Limerick yoke last year was cringe to watch.

Dublin having their post-All-Ireland do in the Gibson Hotel over the last decade struck a sour note. I imagine a place like that has plastic cutlery.

6 Likes

Sure nobody’s watches it anymore.

I’d also say they are desperate for lads not to be pissed at the home comings in this new pc world.

If the players don’t want to stay just let them go home.

1 Like

What you need is the Man Of The Match winner drinking in The Hut while everybody else is wondering where the fuck they are.

1 Like

Cork having the banquet the night of the drawn game in 2013. Would it happen now

I only attended 2001/02 as I was a chap
The big thing i remember barely about those days was the 4 or 5 week lead up to the first round.

Everyone paid club membership as that was where the tickets came from, there was an ever ending discussion locally about the draw for tickets, the route down to the game, the team etc etc.

Every parish in the county had one if not two buses hitting to PUC with pit stops in Mitchelstown, Rathcormac on the way in.

There’s some great posts over on PV and articles by Westside about the hatred between the teams especially up around North Tipperary and East Clare. That u21 final in Ennis when Davy was manager was meant to be one of the most toxic atmospheres in GAA history.

2 Likes

Tipperary’s two traditions of Talbot Street at noon on match day and The Palace at 11.30am on Monday are two of Irish sports finest.

Does any other county have anything even close?

Tipp did what Cork did to Hannon & Co for 35 mins in that fateful Munster final.

They hadn’t the legs or physicality to do it after the HT break and limerick just steamrolled them.

Cork just had more legs, fitness & physicality to turn Limerick and win more breaks.

I think Clare will be a slightly different proposition.

What was the name of that pub where the boys got on the roof with the “ Brush “ ?

1 Like

What year would that have been? I remember the controversial 2008 Munster U21 Final between Tipp and Clare but didn’t realise Davy had coached Clare U21’s in previous years.

1999 or 2000 i think. I was there in 2008, it wasn’t great but the other game was meant to be brutal. @Fat_Pox would know.

It was 99. Toxic atmosphere. A 17 year old Eoin Kelly won it with 4 second half points. Davy was Clare coach, he got in a row with Redser who was a sub after full time.

2 Likes

You are also giving Clare way too much credit. Conlon is an absolute liability when Cork start running. I think they will absolutely rip Clare to bits.

Was there not a game that went to extra time in Ennis also and the ref rode Tipperary solid. The lad Joe Ceaser would have been playing?

Thanks mate

I would have similar fears for Clare too. I was looking at the age profile of the Clare team there. 9 of a starting 15 over 30 is a very high age profile.

Counties used to have designated haunts in Dublin and a few still do but that tradition seems to have died a bit of a death.

Kerry would have O’Shea’s The Merchant on the Quays. I believe The Shakespeare on Parnell Street which is now a Korean gastropub used to be a Kerry haunt.

The Portobello is a Donegal haunt. I always associated Barry’s Hotel with Cork. Barry’s used to be a big haunt in general especially pre-match but my impression is that it has long since fallen out of favour, I haven’t been in the place since All-Ireland football final day 1995. Was it a “gentlemen’s club” for a while?

Limerick would have Ned Rea’s, or has that tradition died with the man himself?