2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Was John Carroll playing that night? I was sitting beside Len Gaynor in behind the dugouts for one of those matches.

Cork butchered 3 or 4 goals chances in Cork against Clare and would have beaten them handy but for the sending off. I may be wrong but I think Cork will have too much for them.

1 Like

I was on the scoreboard end terrace for that one. Fans mixed obviously. Honestly don’t remember it being that bad. Nothing near the danger you might feel in the air at a club league game.

That was the beginning of Davy’s management career. He got handed the minor winning team from '97 by Daddy and co, with the original management team being shafted. Had done nothing to qualify him for the job of course. He was a complete disaster. I checked his wikipedia to see how long he was actually over the u21s, but it’s been scrubbed from the record. I feel like it was maybe 6 years and I think the only game he won was the semi-final against Cork in that first year.

5 Likes

That would be my thinking on it too. I was at the Waterford v Cork match in Walsh Park first day out. Cork were absolutely septic that day, selected the wrong team to begin with as well. The Cork team now bears no relation to then.

I wasn’t overly impressed with what I saw of Clare against Waterford in Ennis. Felt they looked like a side that had regressed and were on a downward trajectory.

As against that, Clare have got over their recent semi final hoodoo, they are in a final, they don’t have to face Limerick and that gives them a fighters chance. A decent amount of All Ireland Final winning nous still there from 2013 too.

1 Like

Clare won a minor all Ireland in 97 but didn’t really get much off that team by Clare standards if you get me.

Kerry do The Boars Head now along with all other Football winners*

Tipp and The Palace definitely the only rock solid one left I’d imagine.

*I’d question if Tyrone went there at any stage.

Meeting at 9am for the bus down with bags of cans.
The constant piss stops…

The stops in Rathcormac & Glanmire at Teddy’s

The Blackrock Clubhouse.

The walk to the Pairc. The steep terrace.

Great fucking times……

1 Like

I was at the game as a garsoon and will never forget it - absolutely toxic atmosphere.

I remember Alan Markham scoring a goal from a 21 and giving a fist pump to the crowd with the Clare crowd going mental celebrating.

Was surprised I didn’t see a fight break out in the crowd that night - fuck it they were mad days but they were fucking great days!

Fuck the Banner! (jesus it feels great to type that :D)

1 Like

1999 Munster U21 Hurling Final Clare v Tipperary Fight at the End (youtube.com)

Mad cunts everywhere

3 Likes

The Carrickdale Hotel was a big stopping off point for Ulster All-Ireland winners on the Monday I think.

Armagh and Tyrone had their banquets in Citywest, as did Down in 2010.

I still consider The Boar’s Head a bit of a “nouveau” venue.

We played a semi final vs Galway a few days later and felt we were rode. Wasn’t disappointed after it as we had beaten Clare.

It would’ve been his last year at under 21.

1 Like

Just on that video link - massive credit must goes to whoever is behind the Tallowman GAA YouTube page - unbelievable treasure trove of GAA footage - top class

6 Likes

How does it compare here to PV chief?

As a young lad drinking pints before the 2000 game, I went into the terrace with a good fill in me. The auld lad went to the stand, and he gave out to me afterwards as I missed most of the minor game :rofl:

I was there. Tense day.

I think a few of the games post 2008 had more nastiness in the crowd though. The year John Meagher got sent off (in ET?) was the year we were seriously outnumbered and got a fair going from the Clare crowd.

Was always big Tipp crowd in Rody Bolands Rathmines too

3 Likes

You think you’ll see Waterford win it in your lifetime?

Look I know you are a huge fan of Horgan - who isn’t - but this is just wrong. He should have picked it and round him.

:person_raising_hand: