2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Donal Og going hard at the GAA leadership here on hurling nation.

1 Like

What’s hurling nation?

He reads out some stuff on RTE 1 around half 8 some days.

Article is on the RTE website. https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2024/0621/1455914-hurling-nation-gaa-treating-hurling-like-an-old-dog/

Why is hurling only played in so little areas?

I always feel if you are 50/50 hurling and football underage football wins out easily.

I’d love to see playing numbers for both codes in clubs underage. I reckon football would always be higher in most clubs.

Hurling is much harder to play. Kids give it up a lot easier

8 Likes

One of the best lads we have in the u10 hurling team here showed up to our last match with a 34 inch hurl. Unless there is a bit of knowledge about, and love of, hurling in the home it’s very difficult to keep lads involved.

1 Like

Football is much easier to play. A bit of fitness and calmness in possession goes a long way. You need to be hurling nearly every day to keep the sharpness up. Hego was a huge advocate for pucking against a wall to keep the eye in during that debate with Kev a few years ago. Although pucking back and forth with someone else is even more invaluable for handling and catching. Hurling can be very frustrating for children as you can see so little of the ball. More rewarding when it does go well though.

Once kids master the strike from the hand hurling becomes way more enjoyable. Its a long aul road to get to that stage though. Especially for the less coordinated.

3 Likes

Just the one change: Richie Lawlor back in for Kinsella.Will probably play in midfield, releasing Liam Óg to wing forward.

https://twitter.com/wexhurlingpod/status/1804094288743047187?s=46&t=0sQkcb7z4szDmx1-2Xlm0w

Hurling of all sports needs parental input and I’m not talking about coaching teams.
As cheddar says, it needs to be a central discussion at the dinner table and young lads need to be centrally engaged in the clubs without them even knowing it.

My own father never once coached a team but we went to at least one if not two club games a week, we were going out then pucking before, during and after the match.
I can also vividly recall him bringing back a 26” Pat Fitzhell Hurley as a young lad when some of my friends whose parents didn’t have an iota about the game were using 32s.

It’s very very difficult to get into hurling if you’re not from a hurling house or at the very least your parents bring you around to all these local club games etc.

5 Likes

I think it’s too much effort to keep hurling going. Let it die and stop fighting over it.

3 Likes

In lots of the football counties they dont even bother putting up the hurling nets …as i found out when in Donegal a few summers ago having a few pucks with my young fella !

1 Like

Dublin will be gamer than many might think but it’s hard too see them having enough to seriously trouble Cork.

The other quarter-final is far more interesting with an awful lot of variables. Clare should win as, pound for pound, they have better players but Wexford are the great enigma. If they hurl to their ability they’ll give it a right rattle. They probably need to get it near to 100% right for it to fall their way but are capable of doing so if the Clare hangover kicks in.

Liam Ryan is a loss but I thought a couple of Clare players didn’t look fit in the Munster Final, so that may be a bit of a balancer. Managing the sideline is also key - Lohan has been found wanting here time and again and if Keith Rossiter can master his biggest test to date we could be in for a very interesting game. Clare to shade it.

1 Like

They dont even mark the 65 ffs.

1 Like

That happens in Ferbane to keep the Belmont lads out!

1 Like

Clare will have a big physical advantage at midfield with Malone and David Fitz named there. Albeit, there could be 8/10 players bunched in their at times.
Don’t think mcguckian is inter County standard, very little scoring threat. He does win a lot of ball though, and decent subs to come in, Dunbar, foley and CBD.

Ironically, when he’s grown up, he’ll probably play with a 31

1 Like

Doesn’t Fitzgerald just wear 8 but play right half forward every game? And pundits go on & on about him scoring all these points from play from midfield…Malone is a hardy sort alright he’s not as powerful as that massive brute from Limerick in midfield so I think it’ll be okay from that perspective.

I’m not convinced about McGuckin either. He was very green in his debut season under BDE & was then discarded at one point (maybe last season or was it later in 2022) when he looked like he may have been getting to grips with it. He was apparently very good for Gorey playing wing back last year but his striking & decision making at wing forward can be questionable. Some talk he might be playing one of those crowded middle third selfless up & down roles. Getting back to support our smallish half back line under puck outs etc.

2 Likes

It’s times like this that we could really do with Paudie Foley. He’s been a colossal loss the last couple of seasons. No Andrew Shore type to roughen up Duggan in the air either. I wouldn’t be the most confident of a Simon Donohoe/SOD match-up. I’d prefer to take a chance on Conor Foley tbh. Very little focus on Mark Rodgers but he’s been a real stalwart for Clare at centre-forward all season. Conor Hearne was excellent at midfield against Laois but this will be some step-up. Could he track Fitzgerald maybe?

Cian Byrne has been a great addition in our forward line. Another real scoring threat that was badly needed. I’d fancy Chin to go well on David McInerney too. You can already picture Conor Cleary hunched over hanging out of Conor Mac. Overall I feel we’ll probably lose out by about 4 points but maybe we’re finally due a victory against Clare on the law of averages. It would be a sweet one to win.

Cork by about 12 against Dublin.

2 Likes