2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

Limerick have produced their best performances in final id prefer to avoid it!

Except for gentleman Jim Gavin’s swashbuckling Dubs

Great proposal but no way it will be passed.

Maybe if each parent had a quick run down on:
-why their son holds the strong hand on top
-why a smaller Hurley is better
-why the toe of the bas should be sideways
-no cackhanded striking allowed unless the parents are both from Kilkenny.
It would take a half hour I’d say but could change a good few young lad’s chances of getting into adult hurling.

7 Likes

Clare by 8+ Wexicans are well off it, Cork by
10+

Yeah anything would help…based on my experience they play far too many games and no time spent on skills training by comparison…I give a hand with my young lads teams and eventually he is willing to practice his skills at home for a half an hour here or there…before he just wanted to play a match with me…the skills wouldn’t be long improving when they are practicing

1 Like

Even then it required a replay and Kerry let them off the hook by not scoring in the final 11 minutes (including injury time) the first day.

A mix of both is necessary I suppose, there’s still room for the tyres @Fat_Pox champions.

Very difficult when the parents have no background in hurling.

1 Like

Amount of talented young players who have no grounding in hitting the ball off their weak side is huge. Basic training not carried out.

1 Like

I think a half hour is not much to ask for, give them a free coffee or some other incentive. Of course, you’ll never get everyone but if it sorted 1 child every couple of years then it’s worth it.

Of all sports

:rofl:

Not a hope Shanagher will start. He was allowed play club last weekend. He’s not near Lohan’s thoughts as a starter

1 Like

Clare and wexford should be a good game, i reckon wexford will push them all the way and will be very similar to 2022, they may catch clare if Reck can mark SOD out of it like he did with TK in that game.

Very hard to see Dublin get close to Cork. Offaly gave them a kick up the hole last weekend and i predict a massive backlash

But when a parent has never caught a hurley it is very difficult.

1 Like

It is but.

There are simple things like roll the ball to them for first touch.

Hold the hurl short and hit it 2 yards first. Then 3. Then5 etc.

It doesn’t be long getting ingrained.

There’d be boys and girls trying to manoeuvre a hurl a full length trying to air hurl. Very hard to learn that way.

What drives me nuts is good hurlers with the hurley caught wrong. Can’t understand how coaches aren’t changing it.

It’s fucking hard. The kids revert very quickly.

We’ve a lad who’s genuinely ambidextrous. He had to decide. Some skill though.

I had/have the golf grip, various coaches including Kevin Cashman tried to make me change when I was very young but it didn’t work for me the other way, by the time you’ve been hurling for a couple of years you couldn’t switch.

What are the drawbacks anyway?

Well Diarmuid Byrnes blows my theory out the window. Hurley caught wrong, one side and the best hurler in Ireland. I think it slows down your strike personally, easier to block and hook.

Leave a load of old adult hurleys and balls near where they congregate for watching/drinking coffee. They don’t be long getting curious. They dont need good technique, but if they have enough interest to engage with their child at home, it then helps.

1 Like