2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

The tackle is clearly defined; it has to be targeted at the ball and the only deliberate physical contact allowed is a shoulder. How does the spare arm tackle fit into either of them criteria?

Do it. That’s not a request

The correct exponent of the spare arm would be that you are extending your arm and the opposition player is running into it rather than you slapping them: “A tackler may use the body to confront the opponent but deliberate bodily contact such as punching, slapping, arm holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge is forbidden.”

Obviously it’s a grey area which is why when you’re coaching tackling, you’ll generally tell them to get the feet & body square first.

Your background mainly football?

Nope.

Hurling.

That’s interesting because that is the definition of a tackle in football you have quoted from the rulebook there, the hurling tackle is defined differently. For hurling it clearly states the tackle is aimed at the ball not the player, for football it talks about using the body to confront.

1 Like

Anybody got the figures for the Wexford and Dublin backroom teams? Im doing a thesis

Hardly inconceivable that laois could scare wexford. Was impressed with laois Saturday. Plenty big strong, bustling lads with plenty hurling. Paddy Purcell and corby would fancy themselves against Hearne and Lawlor in midfield.
Rumours that Liam Ryan out too would make any wexico fanatic nervous.

I was thinking similar but it sounds like there gone on the beer for two days straight

Paddy is probably out for Saturday. Shipped a broken finger or two in the first half Saturday.

I think it’s a draw. Only provincial finals won’t be repeated.

It would be Limerick v Wexford and Kilkenny v Cork.

Hmmm… I’ve had that on a document for a while, I hope I didn’t take it from some football work :joy:

That is interesting, I’ve had a look there and they are similar except the football one is more expansive (they still have the line about having to be aimed at the ball) but I would still argue that the interpretation would remain the same with regard to you putting out your arm and the opposition player running into it. That principle doesn’t really change. All those things specifically disallowed as part of a football tackle are the things that are penalised in hurling: pull, trip, holding, pushing, etc. I would definitely argue that as long as you don’t do any of them and you don’t initiate the contact, you’re grand. The ‘quick hand in’ thing would still apply though because I guess it becomes a ‘hold’ very quickly.

Wexford are comfortably the best side in Leinster & will annihilate Laois. We sometimes struggle against minnows &/or hapless opponents but you’d be massively heartened by the way we dealt with Galway & Carlow.

4 Likes

You surely did, because the tackle in football was redefined 10 years ago to add all that extra stuff. It makes sense, unlike in hurling where you can only catch the ball twice you can hold onto the ball for 70 minutes in football without needing to get rid of it. The rules of the hurling tackle were not changed, the tackles in the 2 games are now supposed to be distinctly different.

You are wrong for the reasons I’ve stated, but the good news is that referees are letting all that stuff go anyway so you can carry on at it. It’s the reason why Peter Duggan will have a far bigger influence on games than Adam Screeney though, I’m not sure why anyone thinks that is the correct road for hurling but it’s how things are at the minute.

And the tackle that started the debate for good measure. If Cummins is right that it’s a legal challenge then we may all forget teaching young fellas the proper skills of the game.

https://twitter.com/martin_dooley/status/1799838396464111814?s=46

1 Like

If a fella runs into you, it can’t be a foul like.

If they want to ban any use of the spare arm, it would be so easy to just write that into the rules. And, again, people would adapt but again it leads back to steps. If the steps rule was monitored properly, players would have to play the ball a lot more and you’d be able to get flicks in on the ball, etc.

Also, the shoulder rule isn’t for purpose anymore. Because if someone lines you up for a shoulder, all you have to do is turn away from it, and make sure that their contact isn’t on the shoulder. It’s not in the spirit of the game but why wouldn’t you when you want to win?

It’s like the throw-in; in the old days, two players would pull on the ball and try to contest. Now, if one players sees someone will pull, they just put their leg in front, take the hit and most refs will give a free (which I actually think is mad but there you go).

Edit- I do think that one was probably a free (there were softer ones given).

1 Like

Marty and Cummins need to be put down. Both of them all over the shop yesterday.

1 Like

If a fella in possession runs into you it’s a foul against the lad in possession.

They have wrote it into the rules, all tackles except shoulders have to be on the ball. If they wanted to make the spare arm tackle legal they could redefine the tackle like they did for football - instead we are in a spot where lads think the football rules apply to hurling and the whole thing is a mess.

I agree with everything else you say though.

Do you do a bit of refereeing @Halfpipe ?

Just take a scenario; you’re in possession and you are running at me maybe 2m before any contact.

I have my hurley in my right hand, I spread my left hand out and hold it immobile, I do not move it towards you at all.

You run into my arm which I immediately withdraw on contact.

Have I fouled you in that scenario?