2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

A small bit

You’re fairly schooling the board here tbf.Im waiting for someone to ask you what you’d know about hurling not being from Munster/Leinster :grin:

2 Likes

Il need more info, have you gained an advantage or was it just incidental contact?

The long and the short of it is KK 04 onwards brought this horrendous spare hand tackle into the game and the limericks have brought it to the next level using rubby league style shoulder charges/stops.

Whether it is legal or Illegal has not been correctly defined by a sport that cannot police the counting of four steps but it is definitely against the spirit of what the sport should be.

I’ve definitely stopped your momentum.

And were you standing still or did you come across my line?

Should be a free so

It’s alright. Ye still have 5 years to get it right

Definitely not standing completely still, probably taking a step back before the contact.

But if you are coming towards me, you are veering towards my left shoulder/arm rather than coming straight at me head-on.

If you use Lynch as the example then he definitely steps into contact and checks the player in possession

So you have moved to tackle me, have tackled the man and not the ball, have gained an advantage - free in for hurling, play on for football. Crowd and Brendan Cummins are roaring “just let the game flow ref” and he is too whistle happy, so unlikely you will get penalised for it for the remainder of the season and we will have loads of rucks. Peter Duggan thrives, the Adam Screeneys of hurling wonder why they bother.

1 Like

The game is broken.

You seem very clear on this and tbf, if you are a ref, I will take your word for it. But I would say it is not 100% clearcut because I have spoken to other refs about the whole spare arm thing and a couple have said that they don’t think that scenario is a free because the player in possession has run directly at the opposing player, hasn’t tried to avoid the contact. And one of those is a fella who has reffed interprovincial club & underage county.

Maybe you’d say those refs need to go and do the course again but, to me, it would seem as if there is at least a little bit of interpretation involved when I don’t think there has to be (in this scenario).

I know a few of the bigger clubs might get a ref in early in the season to give a steer as part of a training session as to what is and isn’t allowed in a tackling scenario.

If Wexford were to lose to Laois, they could nearly give it up.

2 Likes

+1. As far as I can tell, Laois GAA clubs exist to provide stewarding for the ploughing.

8 Likes

I’m firmly in Camp Wexford now as the straight knockout phase of the Championship begins.

1 Like

Enjoy the next 2 weeks.

I’ll only really have the time to properly engage on match day against Clare. Actually that’s probably going to be a midday Saturday throw in so won’t get to see that one either.

Can Marty ever ever stop referencing Conor Cleary " Conor Cleary the man from Miltown Malbay who plays football for Miltown Malbay and hurling with Kilmayley"

Ok Marty we get and understand your West Clare roots and love of Miltown Malbay and could let one reference to it per match go but sweet jaysus Marty it was multiple references on Sunday in the Munster final

1 Like

You’re doing research for your thesis on TFK?