A thread to post controversial opinions

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1059832, member: 273”]Music is subjective, but it’s really about the quality of the song writing.

I look at it like this, music tells you about where a person comes from and they say if you way to learn about a culture, listen to their song. DD is telling stories but they are not captivating. Not that it matters to him, but what are the chances of an outsider being mesmerized by his music and words? Very little chance IMO. Where as U2, the stone roses, Wu Tang and many others drag you into their world. I don’t think he does that for many non-dubs.[/QUOTE]

I am from the back of beyond mate… next stop Ellis Island… and yet somehow DDs music captures my imagination. He’s a storyteller… plain and simple. I have no idea where the Kilbarrack road is but it doesnt matter.

Well really it’s just there is a gap in the market, that’s about the size of it.

He’s no Phil Lynott anyway

He can write a junior cert level stream of consciousness about it if it does,

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1059832, member: 273”]Music is subjective, but it’s really about the quality of the song writing.

I look at it like this, music tells you about where a person comes from and they say if you way to learn about a culture, listen to their song. DD is telling stories but they are not captivating. Not that it matters to him, but what are the chances of an outsider being mesmerized by his music and words? Very little chance IMO. Where as U2, the stone roses, Wu Tang and many others drag you into their world. I don’t think he does that for many non-dubs.[/QUOTE]

Jesus kev, you’re so far up your own rambling arse you’ve no idea. If there’s one thing damo does, it’s drag you into his world. And his worldview pretty much matches your own. You"re made for each other!

He bores me

Here’s a controversial opinion in light of recent jubilations in these parts.

If a jock gets done for excessive use of the whip, besides the fine and ban the jockey gets, the horse should be DQ’ed and prize money forfeited. Otherwise the rule is a fucking sham and the fine and days off are meaningless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLLH1i5_LlQ

If you don’t like this, you don’t like music

[QUOTE=“Distended Red Anus, post: 1060169, member: 2648”]Here’s a controversial opinion in light of recent jubilations in these parts.

If a jock gets done for excessive use of the whip, besides the fine and ban the jockey gets, the horse should be DQ’ed and prize money forfeited. Otherwise the rule is a fucking sham and the fine and days off are meaningless.[/QUOTE]

Why should the horse, trainer and owner be disadvantaged because of a jockeys decision? Handing out proper 5 figure fines and lengthier bans would be far more beneficial.

Doubt the horse would be too bothered to be fair.

Because the owner and trainer benefit from the jockey’s breach of the rules. They jockey may be even encouraged to break the rules by knowing he will be “taken care of”.
Granted there are stiff penalties (3 year ban and £30,000 fine) in place to discourage owners from “taking care of” jockeys when they fall foul of the rules, but it can be hard to prove if cash changes hands (much easier to prove if the offender goes on a public forum and boast about his actions to all the hole lickers).

A straight up DQ and forfeiture of purse would be much more effective deterrent. A jock would be less likely to go overboard knowing he will have one pissed off owner and trainer to deal with if he does so.

[QUOTE=“Distended Red Anus, post: 1060366, member: 2648”]Because the owner and trainer benefit from the jockey’s breach of the rules. They jockey may be even encouraged to break the rules by knowing he will be “taken care of”.
Granted there are stiff penalties (3 year ban and £30,000 fine) in place to discourage owners from “taking care of” jockeys when they fall foul of the rules, but it can be hard to prove if cash changes hands (much easier to prove if the offender goes on a public forum and boast about his actions to all the hole lickers).

A straight up DQ and forfeiture of purse would be much more effective deterrent. A jock would be less likely to go overboard knowing he will have one pissed off owner and trainer to deal with if he does so.[/QUOTE]

Would you also then suggest a sports team should surrender titles or awards won if one of the team is found to have cheated or broken the sports rules?

That is quite possibly the worst red herring I’ve seen posted in an internet discussion.

Happens with Olympic relay teams if one fails a drugs test for what it’s worth.

Not a ‘team’

More of a team than an owner, trainer, jockey, horse combo I would have thought?

Nah, a trainer deals with a horse every day and a jockey could ride the horse out every day. A relay team probably get together a handful of times a year and in some cases just the once or twice every 2-3 years.

A young flat jockey got a 6 mth ban there recently in England for repeat whip offences!

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. UK is miles ahead of Ireland for whip offences. The Turf Club and stewards may as well shut down as they do fuck all anyway, brandy sipping and cigar smoking aside.

[QUOTE=“Richie Mac an Breathnach, post: 1060172, member: 2646”]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLLH1i5_LlQ

If you don’t like this, you don’t like music[/QUOTE]
Jesus it’s awful.

+1

Howling and bawling his head off.