A thread to post controversial opinions

You just don’t get it mate

I get it perfectly well.

• Dempsey is a dub, and Irish. So he gets a bit of a pass with most people straight away.
  • he writes about some working class issues and also has a lot of nostalgic words. This appeals to a lot of people.
  • said people forgive the below standard singing because of the emotion attachment. People forgave Dylan too only his lyrics were incredibly superior.
  • DD seems like a good chap, that goes a long way in Ireland. I like that about us, but I’m critiquing songs here.
  • in fairness he has had a few god things to say, but as a body of work I’d say 3/10. I wouldn’t go to my local to see him if it was for free.

It’s also how ironic it is that guys get so uppity about this and say things like music is subjective yet they don’t accept what any of the rest of us is saying. These same lads have called me a hypocrite in the recent past.

[QUOTE=“ChocolateMice, post: 1060694, member: 168”]+1

Howling and bawling his head off.[/QUOTE]
Stick to Bressie, pal.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1060729, member: 273”]I get it perfectly well.

• Dempsey is a dub, and Irish. So he gets a bit of a pass with most people straight away.
  • he writes about some working class issues and also has a lot of nostalgic words. This appeals to a lot of people.
  • said people forgive the below standard singing because of the emotion attachment. People forgave Dylan too only his lyrics were incredibly superior.
  • DD seems like a good chap, that goes a long way in Ireland. I like that about us, but I’m critiquing songs here.
  • in fairness he has had a few god things to say, but as a body of work I’d say 3/10. I wouldn’t go to my local to see him if it was for free.

It’s also how ironic it is that guys get so uppity about this and say things like music is subjective yet they don’t accept what any of the rest of us is saying. These same lads have called me a hypocrite in the recent past.[/QUOTE]
You’ve never seen him live therefore you literally don’t get it.

Oh so we have to disregard an artists albums and radio play now?

Go away you fucking ape.

What a farmer/hispter type thing to say. Why would he even bother recording if you can only “get it” through seeing him live?

Ye just don’t get it

hes just a dub christy moore.

The only time that ive been to concerts to “get it” which i didnt when listening to a recorfing is when ive consumed time & space altering amounts of class As

It’s also how ironic it is that guys get so uppity about this and say things like music is subjective yet they don’t accept what any of the rest of us is saying. These same lads have called me a hypocrite in the recent past.[/QUOTE]
:clap:Kev dishing out an almighty lesson here

They don’t teach this shit in Dooblin schools evidently

[/QUOTE]
I doubt it Kev, given that Cork’s most noteworthy contribution to music is a song about a jumper. Cork is to music what Cavan is to hurling.

Excepting the legend that is Cathal Coughlan.

WTF? You take that back you swine, the Frank & Walters rock and always will.

[QUOTE=“Lazarus, post: 1060778, member: 286”]:clap:Kev dishing out an almighty lesson here

They don’t teach this shit in Dooblin schools evidently[/QUOTE]

I sincerely hope you meant this laz, but I don’t think you did.

Hilarious stuff. My favourite bit is how it’s ironic that people don’t accept your opinions and yet you’re the one banging on about it.

I love how you manage to generalise about most Irish people and how they give him a pass, a perfect illustration that you don’t accept that people actually love this fella’s music. In spite of him regularly selling out vicar street and gigging all over the country.

I would also say that the main thrust of his work is neither nostalgia nor ‘working class issues’ but positivity.

A quick question, do you have any of his albums?

And Jimmy Crowley

[SIZE=3][QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1060784, member: 183”]I doubt it Kev, given that Cork’s most noteworthy contribution to music is a song about a jumper. Cork is to music what Cavan is to hurling.[/QUOTE][/SIZE]

Didn’t Rory Gallagher buy a pair of shoes down there as well.

And who could forget this fucking masterpiece ::slight_smile:

Rollin’ down to Dublin Town
Comin’ from the Northside, headin’ Southbound
The glare of the city, you can see it in the sky
See it in the faces when I’m passing them by

Dublin Town, bright lights all around
All the different sounds, concrete surrounds
You need a few pounds or there’s nothing to do
No muns, no fun in the foggy dew

I be signing on, off Gardiner street
See all the people struggling just to make ends meet
The more unfortunate ones be begging at your feet
We’ll have to send a warning to the socially elite

And I repeat, if you keep a people down
In any old town or country, they’ll rise don’t you see?
It’s the will to survive that keeps them alive
And they’re starting to see through all the lies

That they’ve contrived, so I say to you all
To educate yourself, become well read
And start to use the head, contemplate your own situation
Find the true enemy and stop banging heads

With the victims of its greed
Am I getting too serious?
Well, this was meant to be a love song
Well, it is a love song because I love my people

Not so long ago, back in the good old days
I dreamed of Irish laws and Irish ways
And saw that the present days weren’t so good
And the only thing I could think about them that was good

Was most of the people that surrounded me
But still I call them good old days because of the craic
That we had
We refused to stay sad

If you have your own around you and also possess your health
At the end of the day you’ll discover that that is the most
Essential wealth, I throw my mind back
And recall the days I used to have the craic

Back in Dublin town
Getting down to the Irish and Jamaican sounds
Listenin’ and learning about life
Helping me make it through the strife

Suckin’ on a big fat spliff full of rocky flagon in my hand
Be makin’ me feel grand
Discussing this and that and thinking about the now
Thinking about the future, making myself a vow

I wasn’t going to waste my life
But I was going to live and love, do the best that I could
I was going to bring some music to the people
And tell them that they were equal

But some of them wouldn’t listen
And this is what is pissin’ the rest of us off
You would wanna start listening to us, you would
'Cause to you we aren’t going to be good forever

Yeah, maybe even here, in the Dublin Town
Things could get turned upside down

John Spillane is the best of the lot.

[QUOTE=“Juhniallio, post: 1060807, member: 53”]Hilarious stuff. My favourite bit is how it’s ironic that people don’t accept your opinions and yet you’re the one banging on about it.

I love how you manage to generalise about most Irish people and how they give him a pass, a perfect illustration that you don’t accept that people actually love this fella’s music. In spite of him regularly selling out vicar street and gigging all over the country.

I would also say that the main thrust of his work is neither nostalgia nor ‘working class issues’ but positivity.

A quick question, do you have any of his albums?[/QUOTE]
Had one way back. Thing is I wanted to like him. But he is shit, so I couldn’t.

Never warmed to the fella’s music. He’s just an inner city Christy Moore - boring enough.