Abortion Referendum Thread

I think it’ll be more along an urban/rural divide.

Dublin will be pro repeal, most of the places outside the Pale will vote No I reckon.

In the topic in question huge swathes of the population haven’t very strong views on the matter . Those with entrenched views are either devout Christian or feminists .

The turnout will be a huge factor .

Far closer. The gap has not been closing.

The reality is we will be out of step with most developed democracies we would like to compare ourselves to if this fails. Is Ireland really that backward? I don’t think we are.

Eastern seaboard and commuter belt will carry it. He told me that in Ratoath in one estate the figures broke down 113 - 29 in favour of repeal, with 19 undecided. But that day in Navan they found a lot less support for repeal…

I know some people who have been canvassing heavily for this and the response has been shocking at times. A lot more no than they thought.
Despite being on TV last night and having lead on this issue for some time Clare Daly has barely knocked on a door.

In your case wishing it was 1973 doesn’t just apply to hurling, but to the place of women in society.

Whatever the electorate vote for will be a sign of “developed democracy “. Isn’t that what democracy is about .

This has no bearing on whether we vote No or not.

Doctors are insufferable windbags, can’t fucking stand the wankers. If they were any more up their own holes they’d be inside out. More sanctimonious than priests probably.

Also, why the fuck would you value a lawyer’s opinion either? There’s nothing in my legal training that gives me anymore insight into the morality of it (some of the practicalities yes). I’d say on balance the lawyers I know are far less moral than the general population.

Funnily enough, no. For example, in my opinion, we shouldn’t have had a vote on gay marriage.

Countries we like to consider ourselves alike to would vote yes, are Irish people more backward than most Europeans? I don’t think we are.

We have a little thing called the constitution . Are you suggesting that the government should legislate inconsistent with the constitution ?

Steen was on Pat Kenny on Newstalk there before 10am.

I only heard about three minutes of it, but the tone of her voice was very off-putting.

Harsh, shrill, lecturing, totally lacking in empathy - almost sociopathic in its arrogance, actually.

She’s a real nasty piece of work.

1 Like

We need a referendum on this, we didn’t need one on gay marriage.

1 Like

Steen has the Yes crowd seriously rattled.

Whatever your views on her opinions she is a formidable debater. Has the repeal side driven demented, they can’t get the better of her in this argument so have to resort to personal attacks.

2 Likes

What was the Attorney’s General’s advice on the need for a marriage equality referendum ??

The 8th Amendment and Brexit are very comparable, actually.

Both are deeply simplistic, black and white, deluded, utterly unworkable ideas which hark back to the 1930s, and to which the concept of nuance is an affront.

And the supporters of both don’t give a flying fuck about the consequences for Irish people.

Steen’s whole argument is based on vicious personal attacks, lying and shouting over the top of whoever is debating her.

There’s a reason she doesn’t practice law - it’s because she’d be found out quicker than Ali Dia.

Steen was lost on radio without a mob of morons whopping and hollering after everything she said.

Kenny eviscerated her, “You don’t trust doctors, politicians or women Maria, who do you trust?”

Ouch.

1 Like

The honest answer is the church and only the church. It’s been kept hidden as much as possible in this campaign but this is largely a conservative catholic agenda. @dodgy_keeper etc and the “rural vote” as he puts it is driven by the same agenda.

5 Likes