Abortion Referendum Thread

Sure their heads were turned that way anyway ignoring the priests

I wonder if the likes of the Iona Institute are actual hardcore Catholics or is it just a front for a group of people with business interests to get together and look after each other.

Either way itā€™s rotten to the core.

I went to school with John McGuirk, Johnny Arse as we called him. So did @Chucks_Nwoko. Fucking Class A cunt. Iā€™ve long been thinking of writing a long 1000 word post just about all the cuntery he got up to and maybe I will one day. Destined for cunt greatness from an early age, a cunt prodigy. He beat up my friend once. A laughing stock always. Anyone from the Sem would vote Yes just to spite the cunt.

Do ya think?

1 Like

As long as you have absolutely no follow up questions, yes, yes I do.

2 Likes

Youā€™re the one devoid of morality. Why donā€™t you think of the babies that are denied the right to live due to solely selfish decisions. Why are they utterly irrelevant to you?

Ignoring what some did but hanging on every word that all said.

I have to say, part of the comfort I have in voting Yes is looking at whoā€™s on that side and who is on No. The prominent campaigners on No are almost all linked to hard conservative catholic religious orthodoxy. Ultimately, no reasoned argument will win them over. They are fanatics and I donā€™t mean that pejoratively.

The same people strongly opposed contraception, divorce, gay marriage (and civil partnership before that), the removal of the church/state link in education and health etc. etc. etc.

I fully believe they were and are wrong on each of those arguments. What makes them suddenly right now?

3 Likes

I was in the same college at the same time as him. Thankfully, I never met him and only even learned of his existence towards the end of my final year through the college newspaper that I sometimes wrote for. But even then, from the little I knew about him from stories about student politics, he came across as a bullshitter and a cunt of planetary-sized proportions.

That planet has now expanded to the size of a full solar system.

There was a nice lady in the audience for the Late Late Show some weeks ago saying that she was voting no. She was English, living in Ireland and was a nurse. She felt that having seen what went on in the UK with, as she called it ā€˜abortion on demandā€™ she didnā€™t want to see the same thing happening in this country,

She seemed genuine in her reasoning but it was a pity that she missed the whole point of the referendum.

If the pregnancy causes a significant issue to the health of the mother yes. Otherwise absolutely not

They were wrong on all those, it was thought control essentially and they did enough of it. I guess the difference would be in some peopleā€™s opinions this involves a human life, that never did wrong but never had a chance to survive.

Same as me so dan.

No such a thing as the law of averages on debates over the decades about what sort of a society we want.

Get one wrong, youā€™ll be wrong on them all.

Whats your issue so. The legislation doesnt mention 4 months

I worked with a lad who is involved in some of those Catholic groups.

He was far from a likeable guy - how come it is all these unlikeable people who are pontificating with a ā€˜moralā€™ view of the situation?

It opens the door to it though

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

They predicted society would fall over if contraception was legalised. They were wrong.

They predicted society would fall over if legal separation was legalised. They were wrong.

They predicted society would fall over if homosexuality was legalised. They were wrong.

They predicted society would fall over if divorce was introduced. They were wrong.

They predicted society would fall over if civil partnership was introduced. They were wrong.

They predicted society would fall over if same-sex marriage was introduced. They were wrong.

They predicted society would fall over if ultra limited abortion was legislated for. They were wrong.

They now predict that society will fall over if we repeal the eight. Are you confident they are right?

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think society is gonna fall over it though

Thereā€™s got to be a serious gravy train for those involved in these ultra-conservative ā€œinstitutesā€ and such. Itā€™s a handy way of making a name for yourself as most of the media seems to love highlighting these conservative views even though they are very fringe views. David Quinn must have made a mint from the Irish media. Declan Ganley has built his whole profile on these sorts of issues. Who knows what sort of financial jiggery pokery is going on behind the scenes.

The same could be said for you.