Abortion Referendum Thread

You’ll have to tell me first of all, what “turnios” are, and then tell me what the price of them in Bulgaria has to do with the 8th Amendment.

Turnips

They have about as much to do with the 8th as the UDHR

A foetus cannot have an equal right to life to the woman carrying it because the respective rights to life can compete against each other - ie. if the zygote/embryo/foetus’s so called right to life is to be upheld, there will be situations where it can be only be upheld by denying or putting at serious risk the mother’s right to life or to health. That is barbaric.

In such a situation, the mother’s right to life or to health should always, always, always take primacy. In Ireland, this is not the case.

That’s why the Universal Declaration of Human Rights refers to the word “born”, and why no other country in Europe bar perhaps Malta (I don’t know their exact constitutional situation) offers an equal right to life to a foetus as it does to the woman carrying it.

And that’s why the 8th Amendment is a complete disaster that needs to be obliterated. Because the outcomes of that “equal right to life” can be utterly disastrous for women.

Even for those who are anti-abortion, it is a fringe, absolutist position to claim that a zygote should have an equal right to life as the woman carrying it. That fringe position encompasses forcing 12 year old rape victims to carry a pregnancy to term against their will and encompasses support for the situation where Savita Halappanavar was denied an abortion.

If one doesn’t think that a zygote should have an equal right to life as the woman carrying it, one is anti-8th Amendment.

Bullet points please

I also wonder why you didnt go with the european charter of fundamental rights which has proper legal effect in Ireland?

What year did you leave the sem?

I have a dubious photo of johnny arse in my repertoire but would hate to post it and have @Rocko being harassed by his solicitor.

I was a year behind Johnny Arse, I think I left in 03. Can you PM out that photo?

I’d take a pm. Opus dei stories are great.

PM please?

Please do. Set up a members only thread for it

Why dont we just role out euthanasia while we are at it. Its peoples bodies they can do what they like with them. Legalize heroin and crystal meth too, people should have a right to poison their bodies as they see fit.

How do i know you’re not johnny arse and this isn’t a sting?

1 Like

I assume St MacCartan’s College is known as “ the sem “ ??

1 Like

@maroonandwhite’s solution to the problem:

Rape Victim: Doctor doctor, I’ve been raped and I’m pregnant with the rapist’s child, I want to have an abortion.

Doctor: It’s illegal for you to have an abortion in this country under those circumstances, but just convince me you’re going to top yourself and we’ll sort it out for you

1 Like

It’s the seminary to you.

1 Like

Thats not my solution, its the law

Why do they have to be distraught and mentally destroyed?

Can they not make a mentally stable, rationale decision to not give birth to the child of their rapist?

And you’re happy with it?

Yes. You come across very slow sometimes

At least you’re not just calling it my solution. No offence bro but you are out of your depth here. Read a few of the better posters and smile and nod and stuff.

The title of this thread ???

1 Like