Abortion - Yay or Nay? Labane and Sid talk American politics, Codegreen ponders on the cost

Post reported.

Furthermore I would like to add I greatly admire Sydney for what he does. Very few people can answer that vocation. I would like to think if that fate awaited me at some point of time I could answer it with dignity like him.

1 Like

No worries bud

I will now take down my screenshot

3 Likes

:clap:

Another potential feud aborted early.

3 Likes

fair play to @johnnysachs for stepping back from the abyss and also to @Sidney for his gracious acceptance.

@glasagusban doesn’t come out of this well from his little snipe.

7 Likes

cheeky…

1 Like

Fair play to him for acknowledging and apologising for being an absolute cunt. He was still an absolute cunt. Pathetic comment.

A classy resolution.

Ffs

Great to see the South lead the way on this issue.

Isnt abortion legislated for at a federal level. So this will be challenged at supreme court level. The point being to test Roe vs Wade. I expect Brett and co to uphold their predecessors decision and abortion to remain legal theoughout the union. Or am i deluded!

That is the aim and yes you are deluded if you think the Supreme Court will uphold it

The Republicans are at total war with any sort of progressive politics

Overturning Roe v Wade has been their aim since 1973

That’s why Biden is a terrible candidate for 2020 - he’s totally deluded about the true nature of Republicans who cannot be negotiated with in any way

Yes, these state laws are unconstitutional. There is zero chance that the Supreme would uphold these laws and overturn Roe v Wade as it is essentially settled law at this stage. Basically what is going on is a battle between two extremes, the “bible belt” that wants abortion outlawed unless the woman’s life is in danger and the most progressive states which want no restrictions at all on abortion.

I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Has radical prison reform not just passed through the House, Senate and Trumps office recently! Surely thats progressive and something that was negotiated. You are very Manichaean in your world view.

1 Like

More hysterical nonsense.

70% of Americans do not want to see Roe v Wade overturned, 84% of Democrats/Democratic leaning and 53% Republicans/Republican leaning. It is simply not going to happen.

What could happen is more clarity on restrictions on abortion. Only 30% of Americans support abortion being legal under any circumstances, which reflects the law in most developed countries.

It’s staggering in the time of Trump, who flouts the law at every turn, that there are actually still people who still haven’t cottoned on to the Republicans’ game and labouring under the delusion that the Republicans are in any way a normal political party.

They aren’t, they’re authoritarian crackpots along the lines of Putin or Orban.

Their game is judicial activism, ie. to turn the US into their backward far right wet dream.

Or fascism, in other words.

Not only do they want Roe v Wade overturned, they want an entire federal ban on abortion.

Little things like law don’t matter. The whole point of judicial activism is that you write your own law the way you want it.

There’s a reason Trump said that women who have abortons should be punished. It’s because that’s what the Republicans actually desperately want to happen.

Delusion doesn’t even begin to cover anybody who doesn’t understand that.

How many want Citizens United?

A quick Google shows 80% oppose it.

Polls on this sort of issue mean fuck all.

You seem to have nothing except polls and a horse race “understanding” of politics.

You have very little understanding of what goes on in real politics and what drives those involved in it, hence your consistent and shameful downplaying of the total craziness of Republicans at every level on every issue.

40 year Supreme Court precedent overturned just two days ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-courts-conservatives-overturn-precedent-as-liberals-ask-which-cases-the-court-will-overrule-next/2019/05/13/b4d3c4f8-7595-11e9-bd25-c989555e7766_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1fa9e8ee0869

Apparently that was “settled law” as well.

Or not, as it turned out.

But in the time of William Barr, sure as long as the delusionists believe the bleatings of Barf O’Kavanaugh and other judges who were picked to overturn Roe v Wade, all’s grand, or something.

The broad church that is encompassed in the United States from California to Alabama is amazing. Overturning a right to abortion at federal level is the sort of thing that would see States seceding from the Union.