Advice on living in Dublin (ie. don't)

I’ll have reasonable amount of money coming home but really will not be looking to dip into it too much. So reasonable rent is a priority as I can’t see myself making a fortune early days as it’s most likely I’ll be working for myself with my hand in a few things or maybe building for someone for a while which on a good week will only bring in 600-750 going on what I’ve been told. Not too bothered exactly where I live as work for me tends to spread around anyway. More specifically

• 2 of us, my Aussie woman in toe
  • no kids
  • dogs
  • I’m guesing 1k-1200 a week coming in overall for a whole
  • like to be near green area/parks
  • Friendly GAA club used to outsiders
  • decent local ammenities
    I’d really like an old cottage type house with a bit of room for dogs. Don’t mind being a little bit away for it.

Always liked the look of Lucan without knowing a lot about it.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 892109, member: 273”]I’ll have reasonable amount of money coming home but really will not be looking to dip into it too much. So reasonable rent is a priority as I can’t see myself making a fortune early days as it’s most likely I’ll be working for myself with my hand in a few things or maybe building for someone for a while which on a good week will only bring in 600-750 going on what I’ve been told. Not too bothered exactly where I live as work for me tends to spread around anyway. More specifically

• no kids
    I’d really like[/quote]
    @Spidey might be your man in all honesty. Castleknock, not central, but may be in your wheelhouse.

@caoimhaoin, happy to answer any specific questions you have but it’d help if you gave some background on what you’re looking for too. Firstly, I should qualify everything I type by saying that I’m not very knowledgeable about buying property - I’m satisfied renting for the next few years at least.

I live in the south city centre and I’m in easy walking distance to work and town and everything’s close by from basics like shops to stuff to do in the evenings like decent pubs (The 51, P.Mac’s), cinema/music venues/Aviva & Croker/restaurants etc.

I think this location is one of the main reasons I like it so much. I wouldn’t be keen on a daily bus/train trip in and out. The rent is more expensive in the city centre but I think it’s worth it. I like Dublin generally too, which helps. You’d obviously need to see what your budget would get you. Would you just be looking for a 1-bed place or 2-bed to have space for visitors?

I’d agree that Dublin 2, 4 and 6 are desirable areas. I actually wouldn’t be that pushed about staying somewhere that has easy access to the motorway to Cork, especially if it’s at the expense of being further away from where you’re working. Sure you’d only be going to Cork every once in a while and who cares if it takes 10 or 15 minutes more to get out onto the motorway if you’re in a nice place in town and it makes your daily commute handy?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 892109, member: 273”]I’ll have reasonable amount of money coming home but really will not be looking to dip into it too much. So reasonable rent is a priority as I can’t see myself making a fortune early days as it’s most likely I’ll be working for myself with my hand in a few things or maybe building for someone for a while which on a good week will only bring in 600-750 going on what I’ve been told. Not too bothered exactly where I live as work for me tends to spread around anyway. More specifically

• no kids
    I’d really like an old cottage type house with a bit of room for dogs. Don’t mind being a little bit away for it.

Always liked the look of Lucan without knowing a lot about it.[/quote]

Have a look here for a flavour of what the Dublin rental market has in store for you…

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&search=1

The scumbag girls from the Farm who used to go to school in the Noggin used to try and knock us off our bikes when we’d be cycling home after school up to Glenageary.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 892109, member: 273”]

Always liked the look of Lucan without knowing a lot about it.[/quote] My brother lives in Lucan and is pretty happy there. Close access to the M50, GAA clubs & the Phoenix Park.

If you have a trade, you should look at buying a House to rebuild i would have thought?

[quote=“Sandymount Red, post: 892112, member: 1074”]Have a look here for a flavour of what the Dublin rental market has in store for you…

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&search=1[/quote]

That’s mental… Who the fook wants to pay those prices on rent, it’s ludicrous!

You must be thinking of somewhere else lad!

Sandyford on luas and M50 and rents reasonable (relatively). Prob get hse in Stepaside also close to M50 and mountains but more difficult access to town. Right next to Sandyford. Both located near plenty GAA clubs. How friendly or not I don’t know.

Rents a dose. Need a 2 bed as 1 beds have fck all living space. 1300+ for anything half decent, ++ the closer you are to town.

Acess to M50 major consideration as could be 30-45 min difference in spin to Cork on fir evening.

Here it is @caoimhaoin http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=742300

Nobody wants to kid. it’s gone fucking ridiculous again. Pay 1500 for nice 2 bed hse. About 400 below going rate in area coz been here for years.

Could look at buying but you’d be commuting an hour if you wanted a mortgage anything similar to rent.

Always liked the look of Lucan .[/quote]
Fuck me. Wait til you see Milton Keynes.

Why Dublin anyway, Kev?

• no kids
  • dogs

Lucans a fine spot. Right on the m50 so handy for everywhere, few nice pubs, Kenny’s and the ball alley in the village being two, Liffey valley and blanch are over the road for shopping or cinema, plenty of gaa clubs and every second person is a blow in from down the country. St Catherine’s park is a fine spot for walking and you can be in Croker or town in minutes from clonsilla or Adamstown train stations. I’m living here 5 years and while I’m still renting its cheap as chips and I’ve seen nothing in the rest of Dublin to make me want to move. A place to swim in the sea would be nice but you can be in killiney in 25 mins going well.

[quote=“Sandymount Red, post: 892112, member: 1074”]Have a look here for a flavour of what the Dublin rental market has in store for you…

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct1&search=1[/quote]
Just had a look, that makes for depressing viewing. :frowning:

I think Rathfarnham would be a good fit for you Kev.

• decent neighbourhood
  • close to Marlay Park
  • good gaa clubs in the locality - Ballyboden, Ballinteer - most clubs are friendly to outsiders
  • should be able to get a nice enough place for reasonable rent

Your aussie woman will be gunning for home fairly fast if you bring her to Lucan

The two best things about Dublin are the sea and the mountains. Ideally you should live close to one or the other. A man with dogs should live close to the sea.

Dublin is already one of the world’s great cities, but to have Kev living here, especially in West Dublin, would be the icing on the cake.

Sandymount is what he wants. Any number of cottages, near the sea, Gaa club close by full of country lads, walking distance to town and dart close by. Lucan is a shithole.

Yes Mac and a cottage in Sandymount would be perfect on the budget that Kev said he is working on.