All Ireland Football Final 2024

Was that Forker’s woman behind him for the presentation? Saw her down on the pitch with Geezer then but thought she was a bit young to be his wife. Surprised the Queen of Armagh Annalivia wasn’t down to present the cup.

Who was tracking the Armagh goal scorer?

He has a burden to bear but the decision to persist with him needs to be noted too. He has been struggling with injury, he chose to go with his weak foot on the 1st free that was kickable with his ‘stronger’ one. That was the time to make decisions.

6 Likes

Very harsh. Galway had some bad panicky misses with about 10 to go but steadied well to get 2 quick points coming up to full time. The block on Conroy was just good defending. Walsh’s frees were poor but he is not first choice freetaker.

2 Likes

Say it was, he has a young chap about 7/8 so I’d say it was the mother and cubs

Only Mulkerrins, Fitzy, McDaid, Conroy and Darcy will leave with their heads held high. @Diabhal was a shrewd judge and questioned Shane Walsh’s character on here before. Armagh basically had Baysht cordoned off altogether. It was sad when they played a ball into him midway through the first-half when he was surrounded by orange and forced to battle for a 45’ in vain.

Edit: And John Maher of course.

2 Likes

John Maher was good too.

They never really went for it though and that’s what’ll haunt them the most. They played with the handbrake on. Too slow moving the ball and allowing the Armagh defence get set.

1 Like

Maher was good I thought and McGrath saw off Turbitt early. Problem was they got very little from Comer, Walsh, Finnerty and Tierney for one reason or another. And Dylan McHugh who was super all year also missed the couple chances he had.

5 Likes

He disappeared in the second half Armagh screened him well and nullified the damage he was doing completely, Galways inside forwards were never in the game to begin with and it was left to their two midfielders and half backs to win the game for them, the former came very close to doing it but the latter especially Silke & McHugh who delivered going forward all year just couldn’t do it today.

2 Likes

Second year in a row that a Division 2 team have won the AI, and Galway came close in 2022 as well. Harte shown the road after going all out and winning it this spring, surely the penny will eventually drop.

1 Like

Yeah Maher was very good. Especially in the first-half. You’d never think he was only 25 to look at him. Solid addition last year.

2 Likes

Silke got a nice score at the very start but hesitated with that big chance to level in front of the Hill in the second. He kept Rian O’ Neill relatively quiet to be fair.

2 Likes

Ya they cancelled each other out but on the day Galway needed more from Silke going forward than Armagh did RON.

Mulkerrin and Fitzy? They’re barely able to solo between them

No more than Cork last week Galway didn’t deserve it. Armagh sent their full back up and he scored the winning goal. A bit of bravery and a deserved win. We can’t really laugh at Mayo cos that Armagh team is the worst team to win an All Ireland in my memory. Wouldn’t be overly harsh on Walsh. He tried unlike a lot of the others. Similar to the Kerry final, too many of the forwards didn’t even have a shot never mind a wide.

2 Likes

The simple rule that changes football is that no backpass is allowed like basketball, this incentivises teams to attack further up the field as they will be turned over around the middle.

1 Like

Jarlath Burns sure does love the sound of his own voice. Like Rule 42 before him, I’d imagine this is a stepping stone.

The 6 inside forwards in the game scored 0-1 between them.

Strange game where a lot of the big names didn’t really do very much but lads like Oisin Conaty and Cein Darcy kicked 0-6 between them I think.

1 Like

Hes a young man still, so politics may well be the next field for him. Well able to put his point across, obviously

1 Like