All Ireland Football Final 2024

I’ve been saying that they should look at this for years.

People have said to me that it wouldn’t make a difference, that making the ball too light would make it a complete lottery with the wind. And there may be an element to that, there is certainly a huge skill kicking the ball like Beggan or someone can, in any conditions.

But is it not worth a trial at least? The vast vast majority of our club team wouldn’t kick a '45 with an O’Neills football but I’d say a fair few of them would be able to with a soccer ball. At the very least, you’d be able to ping balls into the full-forward line from deeper even if shots would be a bit wayward.

2 Likes

Ah here, U13s are kicking a size 4

1 Like

That’s the photo

2 Likes

Jaysus that’s a sensational sight.

Aliases mate.
Or Aliii

1 Like

Granted I was mostly focused on the seagull for the first 20 mins but it wasn’t a bad auld game to be fair. Some great scores and a sensational finale with two kicks coming off the post, one at either end. It’s probably suffering from being played only a week after the greatest hurling final of all time. If it was the 2008 or 2021 hurling final was played last week there wouldn’t be half as much complaining.

Be better to give two points for a shot outside the 45. That’d pull defences further out. Be very difficult to ref at club level though.

2 Likes

1980 was the greatest hurling final of all time mate.

It had the best speech, I’ll give you that.

1 Like

Johnny Logan, John Treacy, and the 1980 hurling final laid the foundations for Ireland Inc. We lost everything before that, and expected to lose (granted I was in second class or something).
They showed us what was possible.
We stand on their shoulders.

The 6 starting inside forwards scored the grand total of one Shane Walsh point from play just after half time yesterday. The other 5 were held scoreless.

1 Like

I enjoyed yesterday’s game. I don’t get the criticism of galways tactics or build up play. They were facing a ridiculous defence with everyone inside their 45, at least Galway on defence left two up. Galway worked more than enough scoring chances so their tactics were right. Really feel for Walsh.

Can’t blame the teams for playing the way that will give the best chance of success. I’ve been saying reduce to 13 for years, I think it would also benefit smaller counties with less strong panels. Lighter ball would make loads of sense too. Two from outside the 45 also.

3 Likes

https://x.com/LeoForde/status/1817612634998329723?t=PUMEKL9AosOQfkCPyGgA-g&s=08

If think it would change the game completely, don’t think it’s something that could be done overnight.
I wouldn’t fancy kicking a 45 with a soccer ball

But then there’s no comparison with a modern soccer ball and the mitre multiplex that I grew up with which was closer to an O’Neills

1 Like

Michael Darragh MacAuly from downtown…

The very legitimate argument against 13 a-side a decade ago was that it would lead to the replacement of the more skillful and less athletic player with fellas who are marathon runners. Tactics mean that is what has happened anyway so I’d say it’s worth a try at this stage, the benefit to smaller counties is an added bonus.

3 Likes

Lads, will u trust Jim Gavin and his minions to do their work. It’ll be grand .

Fitzmaurice

What about making the pitch an Oval, there’s always space in an oval they say.

Jimmy didn’t captain Donegal to an All-Ireland. Hanahoe doesn’t really count because he was a player manager and basically a caretaker.