All Ireland Football Final - An Classico

Mannion missed a few easy ones.

Fenton did well - nice point towards the end and solid but not really a stand out.

Cluxton was Cluxton really.

I don’t think that’s a foul unless he catches it from the hop, he used his foot which reset the sequence

1 Like

Cluxton winning would be akin to that year they gave Ryan Giggs player of the year as sort of a legacy award.

If James McCarthy is any sort of a price at all throw the lot on him.

3 Likes

To my eye, there looks to be a second bounce before the toe to hand. SC lifts his left leg, while on the ground, to put off PG shot, which makes PG want a delayed shot off his left foot to SC’s right side, which leads PG into instinctive second bounce as a holding move.

But easy enough, at the same time, to see how the move, which or whether, was allowed.

Okay, thanks. I see nuance now. He touched the ball with his foot before taking to hand. A nuance I did not appreciate.

1 Like

Watched it on half speed.

Bounce and caught.

Bounce toe into hand

I see what you mean, naturally. But what happens if David Clifford does not get FOTY, which he still might? No clear other name, it would seem?

Okay, thanks to you as well. I see nuance now. He touched the ball with his foot before taking to hand.

1 Like

Okay, will take your word for it.

1 Like

If Clifford went out and shot the lights out like he usually does then I’d see a case for him but seeing as he’d an off day I reckon McCarthy is a good thing. I’d have someone like Fenton before even thinking of Cluxton.

1 Like

I’m not really the one to be asking about FOTY. I watched 3 matches in the championship all year, the 2 semi finals and final. First half was a bit scrappy today but on the whole they were 3 decent matches.

Fenton ran the show there today, particularly in the second half.

1 Like

I saw Gough at the start of the year in a Division 3 league game when he had a big belly on him and thought he was done but he had an excellent game today. Telling Gannon to get up that time he was feigning injury was a fine statement from him and showed he was completely on top of things. His umpires are brilliant as well, they got the yellow card incident for Clifford and Fitzsimons spot on when usually that would be called incorrectly.

5 Likes

True enough on Brian Fenton. I am just curious as to what happens if David Clifford is not FOTY.

Clifford is held to different standards and it fairness a very tough year losing his mother. For a player who’s probably already secured all time great status in his early 20’s, that was a serious systems failure today on the biggest day.

5 Likes

I can really only remember one wide that he kicked which you’d expect an inter county forward to make more often than not

1 Like

I can’t see why Fitz got yellow that time

1 Like

I think there’s a serious exaggeration about his performance.

He kicked two stunning points and produced aan outrageous pass for the Kerry goal. I agree I can only count one miss off his right in the second half that you would expect a top forward, nevermind Clifford himself, to score. He missed one off his left very late on that you’d back him to get but it was an unbelievably tough kick. Kerry lost because Dublin have better footballers, not because of Clifford.

I’d call it a disappointing day at the office for him but did he have a poor game? IMO absolutely not.

3 Likes

5+1+3=9

IMG_2860

6 Likes

Hell rub it into the filthy bastards.
Never forget, never forgive.

1 Like

He missed an easy tap over point in the first half. MF stumbled under the Cusack and DC elected to carry the ball in to try a goal chance. It was a poor decision as Dublin scrambled back well and turned him over.