All Ireland Football Final - An Classico

Very tough year after losing his mother at a young age especially. He will come back better for it. An extraordinary gaelic football talent - classic example in his first touch being a great point and the vision to see Geaneys movement for the goal just before half time. That pass was excellent.

2 Likes

Hillarous seeing @Juhniallio posting about gga the day Dublin win an all ireland. His first gga posts this year

11 Likes

He didn’t have a poor game, but he made some very poor decisions at key times.

Both of them pulling and dragging off the ball, if he gave one yellow he had to give 2.

I would not be too harsh on DC’s performance. He did not hide, any road.

He might well get FOTY in any event.

5 Likes

I’d say he will be disgusted with his performance. The chances weren’t easy but once he backed himself to shoot he expects to score. He is usually good for a mark or 2 in a game, they turned last years final, but wasn’t given a chance of one at all this year. It still amazes me that coaches have not been able to make more from the opportunities that the mark rule gives.

2 Likes

Sometimes it just doesn’t happen for you no matter what you try but as you say he kept putting himself in the right Position and that shows his mental strength and leadership.

2 Likes

How would you go about it?

How many wides did Clifford kick? As someone said its not that any of them were simple but usually once he backs himself to score he puts them over.
He was relatively poor in the q final too bar that spectacular pass. He’s still easily the best player in Ireland though and will prove it again.

Key is getting your best kickers on the ball when attacks slow down around the 45. Too often the focus is on getting good fielders in position, but then poor kickers sending in loopy, aimless balls to contest. Ball has to only travel 20 metres, it shouldn’t be rocket science to develop a few set moves to fall back on.

1 Like

Fair points, if I may say so.

1 Like

All fair.

It’s a thin line between heaven and hell.

1 Like

That was as good a contest as I have attended. One of the great battles; a hugely significant game for both sides and three players in particular.

My cousin Fitzsimons is some yoke.

Fenton was excellent. He just runs the game when they have possession while making teams have to avoid him on so many occasions.

Well done to the dubs, @spidey and co.

9 Likes

I reckon he missed at least 4 (one may have been the one subsequently pulled back for a free). He also had the one where he got clear and then got swallowed up and got turned over. All very unClifford like.

You’re lucky i watched mate between the womens world cup and utd playing bilboa next week.

Congrats to Fenton’s good luck charm @Bandage

Should have spoilered that really, hope it didn’t ruin it for anyone knowing the ending.

Clifford’s problem today was he never allowed for the weather. His scoring zone might be different to anyone else’s but it was 20 yards closed to goal today than usual and he never adjusted.
Fitzsimmons did as much as he could with him. He’s unmarkable really and he held him somewhat. Even allowing for the missed opportunities.

McCarthy should have been sent off. A lucky boy. Second one was a red on its own another day.

But Dublin deserved it I think. Far more efficient than Kerry.

The only way to justify bringing back Cluxton and co for one last dance was to go and win it. And they did it. And it’s an incredible achievement for them.
I’d say that’s it for loads of them now. Could be Dublin’s last one for a while. Some team. We will probably never see the likes again.

Been saying a while now. Kerry have no depth. Geaney did well today but he’s been very average all year. If Kerry had anything behind the first 15 he’d be a sub. They have Clifford and if you have Clifford you have a chance. But its heavily on his shoulders.

I’m sure the weather was a factor. But I thought the standard of defending today was excellent.

Wide open next year.

6 Likes

Joe Brolly needs to be on The Sunday Game tonight to call out David Clifford as a fraud.

1 Like

Before this night is out I WILL have a go at singing Nothing Compares 2 U.

Probably around 11 pm outside the Gravediggers.

2 Likes