All Ireland Football Final - An Classico

Lots been made of how Fitzsimons actually got roasted. Not so sure. Just because a player kicks a wide doesnt mean its an unforced error. He could be forced to snatch at the effort, shepherded to a more difficult angle, made kick off weaker foot. Clifford only had one possession after 20 odd minutes. I’m not sure his brother Paudie found him with one sirect kick pass. Credit must go to Dublins defensive system but also to Fitzsimons who was able to lock Clifford down for much of the game. It was with good reason that Kerry rarely kicked the ball in.

5 Likes

The jacks are back but Jack cant do back to back.

Hopefully Mike Quirke gets it next.

@Fitzy is the quiet Dublin legend. I have no idea who got MOTM. I’d guess Mannion. But Fitzy was well there. A player who has got better and better and better over the course of his career. If he ever wants to be Dublin manager, he will be, though he probably won’t.

1 Like

Kerry and David Gough, simply not good enough

1 Like

Mckaigue has probably been done out of an all-star on account of such prissy coddling referring.
#davidcliffraud

We’re relentlessly closing in on the fuckers.

Today was a classic Yerra. It’s our word now. We turned up at least.

Delighted for Dessie. Took a lot of undserved flak over the last couple of years. An all ireland as a player as well a minor and 2 x u21 and 2 x senior as manager is a fair achievement for one of Dublin GAA’s good guys.

This feels like a fitting final chapter in the story of a great team. Cluxton, Fitzsimons, McCarthy and Rock are unlikely to be there next year and possibly mannion and mccaffrey too. The leinster championship could actually be a contest and no harm.

10 Likes

It’s been said here before but if you take Clifford and O’ Sé out of that Kerry team then they’re distinctly average. Geaney had a great game yesterday but must be around 33. Dara Moynihan rarely seems to contribute a whole pile, the Kerry fans I was drinking with yesterday don’t rate him at all (or his cousin Micheál Burns). I remember seeing Moynihan play for the Sem against St. Peter’s in the 2017 schools final and I’d say he was on the Kerry panel the following year at 19/20 but he hasn’t kicked on at all. Killian Spillane has “it” but his appearances are fleeting due to injury. Unusually for Kerry there doesn’t seem to any young forward prodigy coming through to supplement Clifford and Ó Sé.

That win for Dublin yesterday had what I’d imagine was a real Kerry 1984 feel to it. The great team coming back to win again having endured a couple of disappointing years. You just knew in those final 5 minutes that Dublin would find a way. Brian Begley/Ó Beaglaoich running into a crowd of traffic was a major turning point. Paul Mannion man of the match, kicked some great scores but also kicked a plethora of wides which kind of summed up both teams shooting. I see RTÉ gave James McCarthy player of the year. Mainly on the strength of one performance against Mayo and his organisational/motivational skills to tempt the band back together again.

2 Likes

Ye don’t have much of an *U25 combination though on paper. It’ll be a few years before Lethal Lenny filters through. Ye will have a fabulous masters team soon though. I’d be very interested if somebody listed out a predicted Dublin starting 15 for say 2027 or 2028.

*Like those Irish rugby team under the age of 25 articles Balls.ie regularly churn out.

I lost a bit of faith in his credentials when I saw a video of him vaping in a suit on the Luas while the Kerry boys sang some iteration of “We didn’t start the fire” last year.

The BBC was good craic, I thought the crowd sound was just a bit muted on that service, but I didn’t want my afternoon spoiled by the chance if encountering Marty in particular, of joaaaaane.
But the two commentators were like two lads reading the rule book on Google as it went along. Philly warmed to it, but he didn’t come across as the brains trust.

1 Like

The truth was in the middle. He was marked as well as he could be, but he was still excellent. He will be remembered for the wides, of which two were bad, but he was very rarely to my recollection shooting under no pressure, and the pressure led him to snatch at shots.
I’d call it pretty even really, like the game. Thought Gough was excellent throughout. Dublin skirted a red card on occasion, but he let a lot go. I’m really not sure why the dubs were booing him. I thought he was as good and fair as I’ve seen a ref.
I thought kerrys big players played well. Kerry played pretty well. People forget just how good Dublin are.

4 Likes

O Connor is coming home I’m told.

Tyrone/Armagh really broke whatever Kerry had in the early 00s

I can’t really recall any all Ireland where they were outstanding. A few diddy ones against a bad mayo team and cork.

Donegal goal keeper handed them one too.

In the last twenty years their record is abysmal.

2 Likes

Too many times the Yerras left the front door wide open. The Dubs came in turn for the tv, the microwave, the laptop and finally took the silver.

1 Like

I have had to come across Michael Fitzsimons through his work (unfortunately) in a Dublin Hospital and he is a total gentleman. Couldnt be happier for him. He did as well as anyone possibly could i think on Clifford yesterday without resorting to any thuggery or nonsense. Great Tipperary blood in him too.

12 Likes

That was a magic day from start to finish. As sweet a victory as can remember. Legends

5 Likes

Great to see those cowardly kerry thugs sent home with their tae in a mug, but ultimately i have to accept that there was a handy all Ireland there for derry. We’d have bate that dublin team out the gate
Massive missed opportunity

1 Like

Gallagher fucked Derry up unfortunately. You’d wonder was he a Dublin plant.