All Ireland Football Final - An Classico

Loved that pub anytime I was there over the years, good pal of mine lives nearby and he’s given 30 odd years in there as a local/regular. But hes drinking elsewhere last couple of years, has the regular touring bus stopping off taken from the ambience?

Kerry were there for the taking alright, big time.

[quote="peddlerscross, post:957, topic:37889,

I have had to come across Michael Fitzsimons through his work (unfortunately) in a Dublin Hospital and he is a total gentleman. Couldnt be happier for him. He did as well as anyone possibly could i think on Clifford yesterday without resorting to any thuggery or nonsense. Great Tipperary blood in him too.
[/quote]

Does he work as a fluffer in a fertility clinic?

3 Likes

:grinning::smiley::smile:

Thanks. But would not know anything about tour buses and so on. Have heard nothing to that effect. My friend remains as keen on The 'Diggers as ever.

Was in there with him for lunch and pints a couple of months ago. Seemed the same low key splendid place. The 'Diggers and Mulligan’s are, in the round, my two favourite Dublin pubs. For ambience, I think they are now well out ahead of previously comparable spots such as Cleary’s, Doheny & Nesbitt’s, Kehoe’s, McDaid’s, O’Connell’s, Peter’s Pub, Slattery’s, The Long Hall and Toner’s, which have all now got the dreaded ‘done up a bit’ factor. Still largely terrific – but done up a bit terrific. Hartigan’s has probably come up the way a bit, for being largely left alone.

Have not been in Smyth’s of Haddington Road for a fair few years. Must get in there soon and see how the years fell. Online photos indicate Smyth’s has gone, alas, the same way. But still notably better than good, I imagine.

Not all enjoyable pubs have to be partitions and snugs and low lighting and old unvarnished wood (Birchall’s, Bowe’s, Briody’s, Neary’s, The Dawson Lounge). But hard to beat to beat Mulligan’s and The 'Diggers for former qualities plus a great pint plus every class of a person in the clientele.

3 Likes

No.

Sound, there’s something about Dublin pubs alright. Palace man myself, also a fan of most you’ve mentioned, plus Peter’s Pub, and The Hideout when in Croker. Lately Clonliffe house too, and Clearys in Amiens St. My Rathfarnham local (staying with in-laws) used to be the Tuning Fork, alas it now serves as a Fanagans Funeral home.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned Peter’s Pub, where I drank a lot in late 1980s and early 1990s. One of the few places that served Green Spot in those days. Few other bad omissions as well, such as Bowe’s and The Palace (where I was lately and still greatly enjoyed – The Palace was the first place I drank Beamish).

Was in The Hideout a few times. Grand spot. Will check out Clonliffe House. Am a big fan of Cleary’s on Amiens Street.

1 Like

In a similar vein I was in the Swan last week for a few and I thought the Guinness and service had gone noticeably downhill

1 Like

I was never a fan of Peter’s Pub. A pretty bog standard offering that charges through the nose. Maybe it was different years ago.

2 Likes

Remember being in The Swan a couple of times, back the years, but did little drinking in the 1980s up that end of Dublin. For my crowd, city centre drinking was a fairly tight rectangle formed by Kehoe’s, Mulligan’s, The Long Hall and the Palace. As I said here before, I could never warm to The Stag’s Head.

Again, I was in The Brazen Head during those days a good few nights, and found the place perfectly pleasant, but that spot somehow never stuck – maybe because of its location.

A place I drank in a lot at the time, and really enjoyed, was the Foggy Dew in Temple Bar. Had a Briody’s type charm, back then, low key locals pub in city centre, but unfortunately got cannibalized by the 1990s surge because of its location.

2 Likes

‘Are you watching that game again? I wish you’d give me as much attention as you did this final’
‘You never gave me 80 minutes of pure pleasure sweetheart’

2 Likes

One. Of. Our. Own.

Not true at all 35 or 30 years ago. A shift came in 2000s, when proximity to St Stephen’s Green became the big point and there was a refit. Not mad about place now, based on being in there with a friend for one about two years ago, which was no improvement on how being in there had been during the 2010s.

I’m not even gonna bother scrolling up to read clueless heads tear into DC, but what I will say is what a pleasure to attend that match on Sunday. Incredible game.

For Kerry, Paudie was outstanding. I felt the backs turned over brilliant ball towards the end, particularly GOS and Foley. Diarmuid O Connor a great bit of stuff. Clifford - just wasn’t to be. One of those days. Funnily enough he was responsible for 1-3 I’d say, plus the two he got from play. Sets huge standards and it’s such a shock when he doesn’t reach them. I actually felt he was roasting Fitz at times but his shooting wasn’t there at all particularly in the second half.

Dublin. What a team. Some of those players may bow out now but they owe the game nothing. Mac, Fitzsimons, Cluxton, Rock in particular. They’ve been unbelievable down the years. Fitting to see them win another. It would be ominous for the dubs when they go soon. Gannon is decent but by and large it’s a very aging squad and they don’t seem to be bringing through much fresh legs. But Sunday was about the old guard. They are a legendary crop and the volume of medals speaks for itself.

20 Likes

Its good they got that send off yesterday.

If the 2020 final turned out to be their last medal it would have been an anti climax.

It was a great contest without being a classic game standard wise.

The tension in the ground was unreal as it swung one way and then the other. Cluxton ran the game. 100% on kickouts. So composed.

7 Likes

The return to form of Brian Howard has also been pivotal to Dublin’s resurgence.

He looked like he was gone at the game a few months ago but is surely in line for an All Star now. Didn’t put a foot wrong yesterday.

3 Likes

Cluxton was off the scale. It’s near impossible trying to decode his kickouts, reminds me of Tom Brady in his prime in a weird similar sense.

Shane Ryan was very good too. Tbh im not buying that Dublin were overall the better side but they were certainly the most composed and clinical in the last 15. It’s clear if Cluxton, Mannion, and Jack Mac didn’t return dublin wouldn’t have been in with an asses roar. But more power to them, and it was great in fairness to witness Cluxton do his thing again. Same as Mannion.

4 Likes

There are some players you go to see as much as the game itself. I remember a few months before Paul Scholes retired at United, there was an article written by some journalist telling people if you can at all, just go and watch him play one more time before he’s gone. Watch his movements/mannerisms on the pitch.

I felt a little like that about Cluxton before the game yesterday and he didnt disappoint.

Should SC get FOTY?