All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

We had Paul Delaney suspended. They pretty much would have cancelled each other out.

What was McGuinness thinking starting McBrearty on the bench. That was the biggest giveaway of an All Ireland in the past 20 years.

1 Like

That was a poor enough Kerry team . A fair few passengers . The teenies were a mediocre decade for Gaelic football

The noughties?

1 Like

Donegal did Kerry a huge favour knocking out the Dubs.

1 Like

Yeah it’s been very poor. Donegal really lacked a bit of depth. Guys like Brick Molloy and David Walsh weren’t going to come off the bench and turn an All Ireland for you.

Neil McGee was the best player on the pitch by a mile that game.

100% on Fenlon - saw that from the Hill - up there with Barry Foley’s in the park in 2001 for all time great sidelines ive seen - both ive seen from the opposite end
that 2003 game was unreal - setanta fever was boiling at that point - joe deane got some poacher’s goal i remember as well

1 Like

Those were my exact words when I saw him getting possession, it’s over lads I said.

would you have said that after the 2016 league final and replay when waterford and clare had the closest thing to a nil all draw in hurling as you’d see?

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s got an airing here before but Galway were very hard done by in 1989.

1 Like

Is it true their own Connaught Council representatives voted against the Keady appeal?

That is true.

What was the power struggle that drove that kind of division? Or was it the big heads in Croke Park putting their foots down.

Also, was it becoming such an issue that the Gaa were coming down so hard on it? Taking into the times it was typical of IC players?

The other county players used to head out when they were knocked out of the championship, the Galway lads went out before they had played in the championship.
Paul Delaney got done for playing in London as far as I recall.

Those players could hit the ball in fairness

Watched the first half of Clare v Galway from 1995 earlier.

The ground hurling and pulling on anything at times was a joy to watch to be honest.

There was some buzz around setanta that year alright. Burst on to the scene and every time he got the ball or the ball went near him the crowd were on their feet and he delivered a good bit of the time. Jayo, Donaghy, Clifford and possible con o callaghan were similar ones i can think of off hand. Wayne Rooney and obviously messi in a soccer context. Im thinking of players in their first year.

yeah he lived up to all the hype allright
that 2003 season was one of those great cork seasons-
the semi final win over clare i think was played the day after larry resigned when roscommon beat us in the football somewhere after getting knocked out by limerick first
The hype started the day of the clare game when deane banged in a goal - there were fellas singing de banks on the town end with 10 minutes and it was the start of that team with curran and kenny coming thru,
the munster final was epic - the sheer levels of hype that day with setanta were unreal - when he goaled that time in the first half in front of the town end the place went bonkers- that was the day of mullanes hat trick and along with the 1987 drawn munster final is the best munster final i was at- yeah i know cork lost in 2004 but FFS garvan maccarthy was playing - the 2003 game was better- the 04 game is feted beacuse of the waterford novelty factor - it was like wimbledon winning the 1988 FA cup

a “great” game not much spoken about as it probably wasnt is the cork comeback that day in 2005 in the semi final v clare - every clare puckout being caught by the cork half back line and jerry o connor wrecking havoc

1 Like

Great piece by Daly on the Clare Tipp rivalry of the 90s

18 Likes